Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
^^I'd say that's a very accurate portrayal of how the scene appeared in person. It was overcast but not dark, so the lighting was soft. My original shot is darker than the real thing because I tend to underexpose my shots to prevent blowing out the highlights. I probably had the camera in Velvia mode, but I can't remember for certain.
Being able to separate highlights, mid tones, and shadow detail and work each by themselves is good digital darkroom tool. I'd like to shoot that type of landscape with a very wide angle lens with several different films. That type of location will challenge you to pull out all the stops to get all the details and shapes and textures. Cloudy conditions IMHO negative film wins with its greater latitude for exposure. So much for getting on the road today. Plans changed. Leaving about daylight in the morning to get back and shoot some FL landscapes while I have my wife available as helping hands. l do have some more photos to share when I can convert them from RAW to jpg untouched other than sizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 02:10 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Lamp, was that taken at Hoh or nearby? That was a challenging place for me to photograph but then my camera then was rather limited in ISO range.
That shot was taken at Whatcom Falls Park, which is in my town. It's a great place, but I've found it challenging to get shots of the forest that are actually interesting. Having a water feature helps a lot, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Being able to separate highlights, mid tones, and shadow detail and work each by themselves is good digital darkroom tool. I'd like to shoot that type of landscape with a very wide angle lens with several different films. That type of location will challenge you to pull out all the stops to get all the details and shapes and textures. Cloudy conditions IMHO negative film wins with its greater latitude for exposure. So much for getting on the road today. Plans changed. Leaving about daylight in the morning to get back and shoot some FL landscapes while I have my wife available as helping hands. l do have some more photos to share when I can convert them from RAW to jpg untouched other than sizing.
Here's another shot from the same area. My limited Photoshop skills hurt me on this shot, because I struggled to lighten the picture without blowing out the waterfall (which is already blown out in spots!). I could lighten it by adjusting curves, but that made everything I lightened look sort of...dull. I probably could have done a little better if I spent a lot more time on it, but I gave up.

My edit:

Larger, Original exposure:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...F2769small.jpg

That was taken on a different day, and late in the day, and it really was nearly that dark. I may play with it again to see if I can do better now, and of course anyone else it welcome to edit it.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 05-02-2012, 03:47 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,512,329 times
Attached Thumbnails
Photos for Play... w/permission to retouch or manipulate and repost here.-1.jpg  

Old 05-02-2012, 05:55 PM

Hedgehog Mom, that's pretty much how I wanted it to look. Could you tell me how you did it?

Old 05-02-2012, 06:23 PM

Photoshop CS 5 two clicks. Exposed shadows only and added some cyan to yellow in selective coloring to bring out the greenery.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 PM

After seeing these great edits, I decided to have another go at my own photo. I have Photoshop 7, and I don't believe there's an option to just adjust shadows. I can tweak it in curves, but that always results in my underexposed areas looking sort of grayish and dull. I duplicated the layer, adjusted the new layer to get the darker areas the way I wanted, then erased the blown highlights so that the original layer was visible just in those areas. But now the light areas in the water don't look natural to me. My attempt doesn't look right at all so I'm not even going to post it.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I used a plugin set called Power Retouche to add light coming from the left, but adjusted it not to brighten the white or light areas of the water. Then I used the same plugin to boost the red in the picture, and used the auto tone and auto color settings of CS5.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
After seeing these great edits, I decided to have another go at my own photo. I have Photoshop 7, and I don't believe there's an option to just adjust shadows. I can tweak it in curves, but that always results in my underexposed areas looking sort of grayish and dull. I duplicated the layer, adjusted the new layer to get the darker areas the way I wanted, then erased the blown highlights so that the original layer was visible just in those areas. But now the light areas in the water don't look natural to me. My attempt doesn't look right at all so I'm not even going to post it.
I started with 7.0 and it seem like there is a place to work on highlights, midtones, and shadows in it too. Just in a different place in the menu. The help file may take you right to it. I try now to avoid curves. I was taught to use them but I have found better ways to do things. My memory tells me I could even work on shadows and highlights way back in Photoshop Elements 3.0.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
the new lightroom version 4 and cs6 have seperate sliders for highlights ,midtones and shadows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography