Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:07 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Not a very safe situation, but you must wear blue, black, or white. Never red or green. Stay a way from Fromasa Way projects & especially Molher projects (hill top)... Very dangerous, you need a "G pass" to walk arond there! Also, avoid Frankston ave., Race Street, North Langly area avenues, & the Dallas - Inwood area at night. If not you will be in serious danger if you don't.

So are you our official or unofficial gang expert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 08:56 AM

540 posts, read 868,206 times
Quote:
Very dangerous, you need a "G pass" to walk arond there!
Unfortunately, PAT just raised the rates on "G Passes" so everyone's going to shell out a little more...

Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times
Ah no thanks... I'm an un-official expert... Just some one who has sources and experience with family that live in Homewood, and other bad places.
This isn't easy to explian if you don't have street inteligence but a "G pass" is for a junky form richer nieborghood who wants to enter a crack house or buy drugs @ the corner (dope spot). If you don't have a "G pass" and and you stoumple into the "cut" (ambush area) or dope spot you're in big trouble. Maybe you'll get jumped, or stabbed, & if female probably raped. The G pass is in effect in certain projects, and streets with crack houses in bad hoods throughout Pittsburgh and the Nation. Although, it may seem like but I'm niether a drug dealer or crack head! I just hear getto tales/experiences from family & "friends" from the hood...

Old 01-05-2011, 10:30 PM

441 posts, read 766,165 times
"Don't wear red in Homestead?"

Are you people serious?

I'm not going to claim that Homestead is the nicest neighborhood in Allegheny County, but unless you're looking to buy drugs or engage in otherwise shady behavior, nobody is going to harass you.

I really don't understand the "you're going to get raped and murdered if you step foot outside of Mt. Lebanon or Cranberry" mentality of this forum. I seriously wonder how many posters here have even seen these neighborhoods outside of local news reports.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Ah no thanks... I'm an un-official expert... Just some one who has sources and experience with family that live in Homewood, and other bad places.
This isn't easy to explian if you don't have street inteligence but a "G pass" is for a junky form richer nieborghood who wants to enter a crack house or buy drugs @ the corner (dope spot). If you don't have a "G pass" and and you stoumple into the "cut" (ambush area) or dope spot you're in big trouble. Maybe you'll get jumped, or stabbed, & if female probably raped. The G pass is in effect in certain projects, and streets with crack houses in bad hoods throughout Pittsburgh and the Nation. Although, it may seem like but I'm niether a drug dealer or crack head! I just hear getto tales/experiences from family & "friends" from the hood...
I thought you were using "g-pass" as a euphamism at first...but now it actually sounds like you're talking about something tangible. I find it hard to believe that gangs hand out little passports.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:25 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Uptown kid is on point in this thread. What people don't realize is that stepping into the wrong neighborhood or wearing the wrong colors is still a risky affair even in 2011. The whole "don't invite trouble and it won't happen" mentality only works if others aren't actively looking for trouble.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post

Are you people serious?

I'm not going to claim that Homestead is the nicest neighborhood in Allegheny County, but unless you're looking to buy drugs or engage in otherwise shady behavior, nobody is going to harass you.

are YOU serious? that is one of those places where they might MAKE your business theirs, regardless if your behavior is shady or not.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 AM

142 posts, read 365,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post

Are you people serious?

I really don't understand the "you're going to get raped and murdered if you step foot outside of Mt. Lebanon or Cranberry" mentality of this forum. I seriously wonder how many posters here have even seen these neighborhoods outside of local news reports.
We're not talking about Homestead, my dear. We're talking about Homewood. Two different neighborhoods.

Homewood makes Homestead feel like Upper St. Clair.

Oh, and lots of other safe places besides the two you mentioned. Kind of narrow minded for you to assume that.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:26 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times
While there are other safe nieborghoods than Mt. Lebo or Cramberry, although Homested is not one of them. The section in the middle of Homested is where most of the crime occurs in. It's no USC it has the same problems as Homewood: gang violence, crime, poverty, drugs, not too good schools, and nieborghood neglection from the city. Comparing Homewood to Homested is like comparing Homewoond or East Hills to Garfield or Linclon-Lemmington-Belmar... Not a big difference!!!

Old 01-09-2011, 12:22 AM

210 posts, read 471,214 times
I don't consider Homewood a terrible area, but it's definitely not a crime free area either. I had class, daily, at the CCAC Homewood-Brushton campus and felt safe enough walking around in between classes during the day for the most part. Good common sense will help keep you safe.

On a side note, this was my part of my stomping ground when I was younger and I would agree with people who say avoid the area at night, particularly Frankstown Avenue near the KFC. I have witnessed violence first-hand around this area. And, of course, avoid the alleys and around the bars/convenience stores where the drug activity is generally higher.

BTW, while Uptown Kid seems a bit over-the-top with his assessment some of the roads he mentions are also areas I would avoid, particularly at night, but I don't think you would be in guaranteed harm's way. I searched, just 4-5 years ago the projects, at night for my stolen car (stolen from the Wilkinsburg EBA) for the better of two weeks and the only trouble I incurred was with the cops and housing authority security (project cops). They thought I was trolling for drugs, lol, but once I cleared things up they took a description and even helped keep an eye out for my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh