Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Don't know what you're all on about - there's tons of good Mexican food in Pittsburgh, if by Mexican you mean Polish.
Forget Tex-Mex, we have the best MexiPolski on the east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 02:06 PM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
I almost forgot, for us meat lovers, a Fogo de Chao or similar high quality Brazilian churrascaria steakhouse would be nice to have in the area.

The Green Forest just doesn't cut it. Overpriced for the food, service and atmosphere.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:45 PM

4 posts, read 13,310 times
I would like to see a tasty slightly upscale Mexican restaurant in uptown Mt. Lebanon, such as El Serape of Blue Bell, PA, or Lilly's Cafe Americana of Doylestown, PA.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:46 PM

4 posts, read 13,310 times
Ooo, where are the MexiPolski restaurants?

Old 04-02-2011, 09:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,804 times
Default the black bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
To be honest, I'm not really sure since I don't know much of what else is out there (as far as exotic food.) Just something more different I guess.

Cuban, Russian maybe?

I did find this link to an older thread...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...rants-pgh.html
There is a new cuban place in Oakland on Atwood street called "the Black Bean", I went there once and got beans and rice and a chicken empanada and it was pretty good.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:42 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I have an idea. Since this thread is so long and I have little time to read it, maybe someone could list all the ideas in one tidy post. Or maybe in a poll forum, so it is easy to read.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 PM

65 posts, read 146,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeno View Post
Middle eastern would be good, specifically Lebanese.
Middle Eastern is always good

Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingGal View Post
I would like to see a tasty slightly upscale Mexican restaurant in uptown Mt. Lebanon, such as El Serape of Blue Bell, PA, or Lilly's Cafe Americana of Doylestown, PA.
There's a market for that now that wasn't there a few years ago. Aldo Coffee sort of proved that with the latin brunches they were doing before selling the place. But if you're into that kind of food, Verde in Garfield is improving daily - getting away from the compromise dishes and really doing some interesting and more authentic Mexican from all over, not just Sonora/Baja/Chihuahua.

Btw, you almost had your wish as per Lily's. There was a plan to open up a Mexican breakfast/lunch place where The Grill was.

But I'd argue the most urgent need in Mt. Lebo is a greengrocer.

For the rest of the city, I'd love to see more other Latin (Salvadoran, Argentine, Brazilian) and more African restaurants. Alma Pan-Latin is a great start. The Ethiopian places are OK, KousKous for Moroccan is great, but there's much more out there to explore. More Korean, Dim Sum and while we're at it, how about a Chinese restaurant that doesn't survive only on General Tso's.

Something like Dreadnought in the So. Hills would work.

And places that fix Macs but aren't an Apple store.

Agree that the PLCB sucks. You know the PLCB is hard to eliminate when even the Republicans can't do anything about it.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Years ago when I lived in Shadyside, I went to a pet shop in East Liberty and bought a monkey. Nowadays I'm into saltwater reefs as a hobby and there's almost no competition, maybe no such place in the city to go to?

Old 03-15-2012, 04:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
And places that fix Macs but aren't an Apple store.
MacOutfitters is apparently thriving in Cranberry and Downtown (plus opening an additional Philly-area location where they're originally from). The Cranberry location moved and should be kept in business for a while since the plans for the big mall fell through. (Don't know for sure but that sort of project could have drawn an Apple Store to that vicinity.)

Of course, those two locations don't really cut it if you're far enough away from them. But while Apple may insist otherwise, it seems clear that once there's an official Apple Store in an area the independent has to carve out quite a different niche and/or have some geographic separation. You may be the exception but most people don't seem to care really. (FWIW I've had generally good luck at Shadyside and Ross Park for support. Perhaps South Hills Village isn't as good, dunno.) And of course Worst Buy is an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh