Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:42 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,309,772 times

Advertisements

How about some bakeries that are not chains, and that BAKE their own stuff....AND...some that serve other goodies versus the same chocolate chip cookies, stale sugar cookies, and cakes made with Betty Crocker cake mixes? and pastries infested with white icing? white icing does NOT belong on pastries. It makes them gross and inedible.

Pastries are supposed to be fluffy and light...and I have yet to find a bakery that does that...been all over town...and there is 1 (literally) 1 pastry at Giant Eagle that fits that bill. Shameful. I wish they brought some of those bakeries they have in San Francisco up here...

The other thing is why chains? I am allergic to chains...really...

I agree with the creperies....BUT again...if they'll dump flower like its no tomorrow...they'll be gross...crepes are supposed to be VERY thin...and slightly crispy (I know, I make the BEST one's in the world) but when I visited a crepe place in St Pete...OMG...its like they were pancakes on steroids! and with a ton of whipped cream over them making them chockingly sweet.

What does Wegmans have versus Giant Eagle, Whole Foods, Show and Save etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
You may be the exception but most people don't seem to care really. (FWIW I've had generally good luck at Shadyside and Ross Park for support. Perhaps South Hills Village isn't as good, dunno.)
Here's my summary of the SH Apple Store. They wiped my hard drive due to a cracked screen. They wiped my hard drive due to a broken keyboard key. No apology either time. They said I should've anticipated that. Thankfully I backed most everything up, but reinstalling it all is a pain.

I don't want to go in there again unless it's to buy a new charger.

I bought a replacement fan and will install it myself because I don't want them wiping my hard drive again just to replace that.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Here's my summary of the SH Apple Store. They wiped my hard drive due to a cracked screen. They wiped my hard drive due to a broken keyboard key. No apology either time. They said I should've anticipated that. Thankfully I backed most everything up, but reinstalling it all is a pain.

I don't want to go in there again unless it's to buy a new charger.

I bought a replacement fan and will install it myself because I don't want them wiping my hard drive again just to replace that.
That's weird as hell. A nasty double dose of bad luck and/or incompetence. I've had all kinds of crap that I've taken into mostly Shadyside but also one or two to Ross Park. (Several repair incidents because we use plenty of Apples at work, I'm in charge of that and sometimes I take the work stuff in there, and it's over several years. Plus there are a couple in the house.) Some stuff has gone to repair depot for a few days, or in later years in the shop for a few days. Never, ever had a hard drive wiped. (Hard drives have never actually been the problem.) They always tell you to back up of course, but it's just so weird to have that hit you twice.

All the stuff I take in to Apple is under warranty. I wouldn't take anything there out of warranty really, because they won't come up with any useful option generally unless there's a special repair notice going on that model. But I am good at triage for such things and can make the call whether or not something is worth repairing, etc.

Depending upon the device you might have to get it way, way apart for a fan. Since you're talking keyboard broken and they wiped your drive, I assume that's a laptop of some kind. Good luck! Laptop is probably still easier than the iMacs of the last few years (which I still haven't tried yet, but I have the tools with which to start the process, begins with removing the glass and taking out the screen!)

Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM

9,352 posts, read 13,017,052 times
For the love of HaShem, more Jewish delis.

More BYOs would be great as well.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:12 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Asian massage parlors.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Asian massage parlors.

Seriously though. Someone mentioned the Apple stores. I would love to see a real electronics/computer store in region. I know the competition is brutal, but I would imagine there is some niche there if the prices were right. I loath 'Best' Buy and Radio Shacks care almost nothing anymore. It would be nice to be able to pick up parts at short notice. There was a really nice computer store out at the Point a few years ago but it only lasted a few months. A Fry's or Tiger Direct store would be nice.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:34 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
A big, awesome fabric store! One that sells fabric and sewing-related craft stuff. And not awful, chintzy Jo-Anne's either (although I'd even take a Jo-Anne's if that was the only option).

If I never had to drive out 20 miles to BFE to buy a package of buttons or velcro again it would be too soon. Seriously, it's become a completely maddening issue for me in recent years, to the point where I start to get furious just thinking about having to spend half my day sitting in traffic while trying to get to stupid Jo-Anne's Crap House of Ugly Polyester Fabric for some dumb overpriced Made-In-China thing.

I know a fair number of other people who feel this way, too, so I think a fabric store in the metro area (esp. the east end) would actually do very well. Hell, if I had the money, I'd open one myself.
it's not gigantic, but loom in the strip is an amazing fabric store. actually i guess they're probably about as big (or at least have as much stuff) as the fabric section in your average big box craft store.

Pittsburgh Fabric Store Buy Fabric Strip District

Old 03-15-2012, 07:39 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
I'd like to see:

2) a book shop which is not a chain and does not sell coffee from Seattle.
http://www.copcomco.com

they're small and they do concentrate on comics (indie and classic, not so much current superhero) but they also carry quite a lot of non-comic books. and their prices are great.

there are also quite a few good used bookstores in town. but it's kinda crazy that copacetic is the ONLY new book store in the city now, besides the anarchist book store in bloomfield and maybe some christian book stores. i believe that include chains.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:31 PM

97 posts, read 165,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
A big, awesome fabric store! One that sells fabric and sewing-related craft stuff. And not awful, chintzy Jo-Anne's either (although I'd even take a Jo-Anne's if that was the only option).

If I never had to drive out 20 miles to BFE to buy a package of buttons or velcro again it would be too soon. Seriously, it's become a completely maddening issue for me in recent years, to the point where I start to get furious just thinking about having to spend half my day sitting in traffic while trying to get to stupid Jo-Anne's Crap House of Ugly Polyester Fabric for some dumb overpriced Made-In-China thing.

I've been to loom as another poster suggested; however, you have to go there prepared to pay for quality and for supply. If you're looking for a very distinct piece of fabric (say for a formal garment or perhaps upholstery) Loom is a very good place to visit. I also found their staff to be incredibly helpful.

There is also The Fabric Place in Mt. Lebanon. The specialize in fabric for dance wear (knits, spandex etc) but also had some very fun prints for a friend of mine who does costumes professionally.

I would kill for more fabric options, though. I can usually find what I need, but I'd love somewhere that did a little bit more of the fun suitings I'm constantly in search of.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:17 AM

19 posts, read 31,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
I'd like to see:

1) the sort of business which sells groceries AND a bottle of wine.

2) a book shop which is not a chain and does not sell coffee from Seattle.

3) a quiet and respectable maison close.
If you dont mind a drive. Penguin bookshop in Sewickley is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh