Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:34 PM

632 posts, read 1,740,634 times

Advertisements

One of the few things I miss about Colorado Springs was this chain restaurant called "Noodles & Co.", which had every kind of pasta bowl imaginable, from Pad Thai to good old fashioned macaroni and cheese.

I could really go for a Noodles & Co mac-n-cheese right about now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 12:36 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,535,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
No, I haven't been to Quiznos.
I don't so much mind Quiznos, they are a decent change of pace from all the Chain Stores..

Wouldn't mind seeing a Culvers there in The Burgh when I visit.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:41 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,205,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Well, I know Macy's is doing extraordinarily well at Ross Park Mall.
They don't have a driver's side door glass for a 1978 International Loadstar, do they?

Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
One of the few things I miss about Colorado Springs was this chain restaurant called "Noodles & Co.", which had every kind of pasta bowl imaginable, from Pad Thai to good old fashioned macaroni and cheese.

I could really go for a Noodles & Co mac-n-cheese right about now...
Have just been lurking on this thread, but yes, Noodles is great! Maybe they'll expand east.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:26 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Truck wrecking yards.

25 years ago, there were at least 4 or 5 salvage yards within say a 30 mile radius of Pittsburgh, that spoecialized in salvage parts for medium and heavy duty trucks, and they're all gone. I was talking to a truck mechanic today, and he said he doesn't know of one any closer than Ohio or New York.

Wow, I never knew there wasn't any. I just did a search and came up empty within 50 miles. Plenty of auto to choose from, but no big trucks. What about
Millerstown Pick-A-Part? I have been there a few times for odd things, but didn't look for big trucks. It is a pretty big place though and might have a section of rigs?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wow, I never knew there wasn't any. I just did a search and came up empty within 50 miles. Plenty of auto to choose from, but no big trucks.
Yeah, it's kinda surprising, isn't it? I wonder if it's tied to the decline of heavy industry in the region in general? (Which, as probably everybody knows, I publically lament at every opportunity. ) I could understand it if several yards had gone out of business, but all of them?

Quote:
What about Millerstown Pick-A-Part? I have been there a few times for odd things, but didn't look for big trucks. It is a pretty big place though and might have a section of rigs?
I dunno, never been there. I'll check into it, just for background info.

Back in the day when there were a number of yards specializing in truck parts, it was a whole lot easier to find what you were looking for. These days, you might find the odd big truck in a mainly auto parts yard, but you might have to make 30 calls instead of 4 or 5.

Actually, it's a problem going the other way as well. I do have that 1978 International that needs a window, but chances are that it's going to go away. If there was a choice of buyers for it, it might be worth more. As it is, it might just go directly to a scrap yard and be cut up and melted down, rather than being parted out.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:58 AM
gg

Quote:
Actually, it's a problem going the other way as well. I do have that 1978 International that needs a window, but chances are that it's going to go away. If there was a choice of buyers for it, it might be worth more. As it is, it might just go directly to a scrap yard and be cut up and melted down, rather than being parted out.
Being a shade tree mechanic, I keep an eye out for parts as needed for the cars I own. Pittsburgh has a pretty good collection of parts for cars, but if I need something unusual, I look around online. Even Craigslist sometimes have things being parted out that could be of use. You can use Craigslist Tempest to search a bunch of cities. With the price of scrap these days, I don't understand places going under, but it must have happened quite a while back. I know the scrap yards I go to, and I know an owner of one, are doing VERY well right now.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,873,372 times
Know of a parts yard with a bunch of later-model Cherokees?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:33 AM

Funny you should ask--Mine just went through inspection. It needed some work, and the mechanic specifically commented that you don't find many of them in the junkyard.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 AM
gg

Quote:
Funny you should ask--Mine just went through inspection. It needed some work, and the mechanic specifically commented that you don't find many of them in the junkyard.
I do a search myself and see what I can come up with. Sometimes it is a lost cause and you have to go reman or new. I feel for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh