Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:25 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times

Advertisements

An Outlet Store Mall that is located closer to the city would be great. Having to drive an hour to Grove City or Tanger is just too far out of the way.Specifically, I would love a Woolrich outlet. LL Bean is great for outdoor gear but as far as apparel goes, Woolrich designs are nicer than LL Bean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
An Outlet Store Mall that is located closer to the city would be great. Having to drive an hour to Grove City or Tanger is just too far out of the way.Specifically, I would love a Woolrich outlet. LL Bean is great for outdoor gear but as far as apparel goes, Woolrich designs are nicer than LL Bean.
Generally the outlets were purposely located away from the larger cities so that they wouldn't siphon off too much of the full price, first run sales (either from their own first-run stores, or from partner retailers who would rightfully be upset by the company cannibalizing their sales). I'm guessing they still do that, to a degree, although often the format of the "outlets" is not the same as it used to be.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Generally the outlets were purposely located away from the larger cities so that they wouldn't siphon off too much of the full price, first run sales (either from their own first-run stores, or from partner retailers who would rightfully be upset by the company cannibalizing their sales). I'm guessing they still do that, to a degree, although often the format of the "outlets" is not the same as it used to be.
Especially when sometimes there is very little price difference between an outlet store and regular retail. But, there are some store choices and brands in those Outlet strips that you just don't have in the urban areas.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 AM

The also do things like make separate, lower-quality lines just for the outlet stores. That kind of stuff. Indeed I haven't been to Grove City in some time (at least a year, maybe two) and have never been to Tanger because there's not much draw unless there is something specific that I think I might find there.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:18 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't outlet malls located in Schkibbutzkyville on purpose, because the real estate is cheap enough to allow them to offer such drastically reduced merchandise?

I bought a ton of Le Creuset cookware, all first quality, at the Le Creuset Factory Store in Grove City last year, for prices way, way lower than I could have found them for in town (if I could even have found such merchandise in town).

Old 03-15-2011, 01:22 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
a quality indoor shooting range not ran by jerks
What, you don't like "Ray Anthony's Hunting Trophy And Personal Gun Collection (By The Way We Also Sell A Few Guns And Have a Range)"

Old 03-15-2011, 01:25 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't outlet malls located in Schkibbutzkyville on purpose, because the real estate is cheap enough to allow them to offer such drastically reduced merchandise?
And they want to be between two or more cities and towns for a greater volume of traffic. So Grove City gets people from Pittsburgh, Erie, and Youngstown, and Tanger gets shoppers from Pittsburgh, Washington, PA, Wheeling, and maybe even Morgantown.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I bought a ton of Le Creuset cookware, all first quality, at the Le Creuset Factory Store in Grove City last year, for prices way, way lower than I could have found them for in town (if I could even have found such merchandise in town).
Le Creuset outlet is still one where you can get a good deal. Some color is on sale every month, I think, plus they have slightly imperfect stuff. For the non-sale first quality, though, I don't think it's much if any cheaper. There are actually many places to buy this in town, though; it's not that lacking in retail. An incomplete list just off the top of my head: In The Kitchen (Strip), Williams-Sonoma (Walnut St), Sur La Table (South Side Works). I think Macy's may also carry it.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:11 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Le Creuset outlet is still one where you can get a good deal. Some color is on sale every month, I think, plus they have slightly imperfect stuff. For the non-sale first quality, though, I don't think it's much if any cheaper. There are actually many places to buy this in town, though; it's not that lacking in retail. An incomplete list just off the top of my head: In The Kitchen (Strip), Williams-Sonoma (Walnut St), Sur La Table (South Side Works). I think Macy's may also carry it.
I bought several pieces of Le Creuset at different outlet malls last year. They have a base price on first quality stuff, then offer you 30% off of that price. If you're in their system, they take 40% off.

I bought three pieces in a discontinued color I'd been looking for for a year, and paid $98, $120, and $130 that would have cost $188, $240, and $270 respectively on Amazon. These were all first quality.

I didn't even have to go to the outlet mall. For sales over $100, shipping was free. You can call any of the stores. They're perfectly happy to ship to you. Here's a link: Le Creuset

Old 03-15-2011, 08:26 PM

They are insane, shipping that heavy stuff for free. But I've heard most of these things about that outlet before. Just to my knowledge 30% is not all the time, at least not on all colors all the time, unless something has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh