Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 06:16 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember old Pittsburgh programs. Seems like back then there was more local content.

I remember By Williams who introduced The Mickey Mouse Club which by that time was in re-runs. It was a black day when the WIIC (WPXI now) took it off the air.

Bill Cardille and Studio Wrestling. Never liked it because everyone and I mean everyone was in a bad mood throughout the whole show.

Bill Cardille and Chiller Theatre, monster horror films with I think a six-finger hand that came up and later disappeared.

Paul Shannon's Adventure Time. Hosted Cub Scouts and Brownies as an audience and invariably they sang a song (Often "If you're happy and you know"). And Christmas time he put kids' letters in a "rocket ship" to blast off to the north pole. He mentioned kids' names as he put it into a box on the side of the ship. I hoped he would call out my name but I never thought to send a letter to Mr Shannon first. A warning sound meant the rocket was about to take off and Paul would step back and some dude behind the prop would use a CO2 fire extinguisher to simulate rocket exhaust and then they'd cut to footage of a Gemini or Atlas rocket launch. How nice for Santa to have Paul send an ICBM to him filled with letters. Wonder if they survived impact?

And "Willie the Duck" would appear on WIIC news and give Ray Tannehill grief. Willie the Duck was a puppet duck and probably drew in kids to watch the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Ghost Host -- that was on Channel 22 -- and it was Captain Pitt, who did a kids cartoon show with Three Stooges cartoons... with Taylor and Lisa -- And Taylor looked like she should walk on Liberty Ave.... and may have gottne knocked up because she was replaced.

Captain Pitt always looked like he had a three day drunk on, too. Ghost Host was bad because it showed this mad scientist walk into a real small tiny brick ranch.... like THAT'S scary... and the whole intro bumpers to the movies were the same film with different bad voiceovers.

Ricki Wurtz and Romper Room. Mr Magic Mirror?

Rege Cordic Sunday Afternoon Movie.

And don't forget Mr Rogers --

And there was a Dialing for Dollars movie, but I can't remember who hosted. It was on Channel 4. Brent just said -- Nick Perry...

Who also hosted Saturday morning Bowling.

Brent also reminded me about Junior High Quiz show, and Captain Jim....

Old 04-10-2011, 08:58 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
"Safari" on Saturday mornings on WIIC, hosted by Don Riggs. Showed lots of old Tarzan movies, and documentaries about African wildlife.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
"Safari" on Saturday mornings on WIIC, hosted by Don Riggs. Showed lots of old Tarzan movies, and documentaries about African wildlife.
B'wana Don.

A classic.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,806 times
My cousin was on Romper Room once when we were kids. I was so jealous.

I sat in the audience for Bowling for Dollars when my uncle was a contestant. Back before Nick Perry got busted for fixing the lottery.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:37 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
in the late 1970s, channel 53 (now a Fox affiliate) was AWESOME for kids' tv. "Ultraman", "Speed Racer", "Vincent Price's Hilarious House of Frankenstein" (terrible, but i think V. Price was great).

also, remember Edie Tarbox on channel 11 news? (late 1980s)

or that kook weatherman Pat Singleton? (very late 1970s) on new years eve he did the weather in a diaper, as a persona called "the weather baby". that guy was hysterical.

i think i can still sing that KDKA promo that celebrated ethnicities, probably called "Pittsburgh's a Whole World of People":

"Irish, Italian, Slovak, Ukranian....Czech, Lebanese, and Afro-american!..."

Old 04-16-2011, 07:40 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Ricky and Copper, damn she was hot.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:14 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
Ida Mae and Happy

Old 04-16-2011, 11:48 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
in i think i can still sing that KDKA promo that celebrated ethnicities, probably called "Pittsburgh's a Whole World of People":

"Irish, Italian, Slovak, Ukranian....Czech, Lebanese, and Afro-american!..."
That's okay -- I still sing the damn farkleberry tart song from Bogut in the Morning on KDKA radio.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:04 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
All I started with was a vague recollection of the names Sterling Yates and Josie Carey, so of course, I used Google. Now I have a vague recollection of Mr Wrinkle:

Blasting Off for the Top of the Christmas World! - Pittsburgh Magazine - December 2009 - Pittsburgh, PA

There's a little more detail in a post about 3/4 of the way down this page:

PBRTV - Pittsburgh Area Radio/TV Mailbag (http://www.pbrtv.com/feb152802.html - broken link)

Which is an archived part of this site:

Pittsburgh Radio & TV Online*-*PBRTV.com (http://www.pbrtv.com/blog/index.html - broken link)

...which if you're interested in this thread looks like it would be worthwhile exploring a little more deeply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh