Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 8,767 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are looking to move to the Pittsburgh area and we are looking at a place located on Rebecca Avenue at Centre Street in Wilkinsburg. Can anyone offer any advice as to whether or not this is a decent neighborhood or a place to stay away from? I'm sure it makes no difference, but just for the sake of knowing, we're both in our early 20's, I'm white and he's hispanic. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I don't know the area well enough to give you a definite answer. Wilkinsburg is iffy depending on the blocks.

Here's a map of the location for anyone who is more familiar with Wilkinsburg:

Map of Rebecca Ave & Center St Pittsburgh, PA by MapQuest

My gut instinct is that it's not a good location.

Is there any reason you chose Wilkinsburg?

Where will you both be working? Do you have children? Do you plan on having children in the near future?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:36 PM

176 posts, read 767,076 times
I dont just know the area...I know that street...

Read a previous post of mine, from just the other day...Under the title Swissvale/ Wilkinsburgh...Our Company does alot of Urban Development, and we wont touch that area....

Old 08-20-2007, 02:51 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,067,760 times
Quote:
Wilkinsburg is iffy depending on the blocks.
This can be an understatement..... I personally would stay away from Wilkinsburg. Have you looked into neighboring Forest Hills, Turtle Creek, or even Edgewood?

I'm sure there are okay areas of Wilkinsburg, but truly, I wouldn't recommend the place to anyone.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
This can be an understatement..... I personally would stay away from Wilkinsburg. Have you looked into neighboring Forest Hills, Turtle Creek, or even Edgewood?
There are parts of Wilkinsburg that are considered Regent Square but really are technically Wilkinsburg.

I don't think the place the OP is interested in doesn't fall within those blocks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
I'm sure there are okay areas of Wilkinsburg, but truly, I wouldn't recommend the place to anyone.
I wasn't recommending the place.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,067,760 times
Quote:
I wasn't recommending the place.
I didn't accuse you of such! It was just a statement.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:05 PM

136 posts, read 691,213 times
search the forums, it will solve all your problems.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:23 PM

325 posts, read 1,077,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzette View Post
My boyfriend and I are looking to move to the Pittsburgh area and we are looking at a place located on Rebecca Avenue at Centre Street in Wilkinsburg. Can anyone offer any advice as to whether or not this is a decent neighborhood or a place to stay away from? I'm sure it makes no difference, but just for the sake of knowing, we're both in our early 20's, I'm white and he's hispanic. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Dont move here. This area of Wilkinsburg is shady. All of the things that do happen in Wilkinsburg happen up near or around Rebecca and the few streets around it. You may want to look only 5-6 blocks away and the difference is unreal. Its where Edgewood begins. There are lots of apartments available for rent in the Edgewood and even some parts of Swissvale are nice. I would believe that any part of Swissvale would be better than that part of Wilkinsburg. If you would like more information please feel free to PM me as I spent a lot of time in that area and I would be more than willing to answer any specific questions.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:04 AM

3 posts, read 16,482 times
Default seriously

look here alot of yall talkin bout "dont move there blahj blah blahj" but most of yall r ALSO the ones sayin i have never been there yall get yall facts from where....the news?....google? really though im from the DUB and aint nothin bad about it (u may b tryna judge the place from the way i type dont try it boo) wilkinsburg is a good neighborhood yall stay tryna act like edgewood is the best place (YEAH ***** RITE) u feel me??? and yea wilkinsburg is mostly black get over it move on aint everybody there ghetto i live on LAKETON RD. dats back in the cut kinda and i got a nice circle of friends there we have known each other for around 6 years only 1 of our close friends got killed but let me name u some good things about it......the hosanna house a community center it has a pool gym toutoring and other activities.......the penn ave. district got all types of stores rainbows and kings (clothing) dollar general and save alot (general shopping) THEY EVEN GOT A ASIAN STORE U FEEL ME?!?!?!?!.....the local schools have nice education and there is also the football and cheerleading team (look it up)the fields r easy 2 get to as well [turner field and graham field] take it from someone WHO LIVES THERE its not a bad place to live

Old 08-24-2007, 09:44 AM

Nobody from Pittsburgh says "Ya'll."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh