Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 06:02 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,561,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
Keep in mind this is the forum where you have people seriously arguing that wearing green in Homestead will get you shot, and that the Strip District is one of Pittsburgh's most dangerous neighborhoods.
So wrong, you'll get shot by not driving a Benz in Mt. Lebanon.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 06:24 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,043,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
AlleghenyAngel,

Have you ever considered doing a photo tour of some of these small "patch towns" that exist in Western Pa?
I would like to very much, and I will probably get to see some of them eventually! I wish I had more time to explore and photograph these towns. I think Fayette County is fascinating. My Brownsville photo tour is on my blog.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:27 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,909,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I think it's ridiculous how much hype there is about the crime in Uniontown. The crime rate is very average. Didn't we have five murders in East Liberty last year? Nobody is afraid to go there. I could see if we were talking about Youngstown, but Uniontown? You'd have to be Chicken Little to be intimidated by those crime stats.
I dunno what to tell you... but I know that I wouldn't walk down Gallatin Avenue in Uniontown after dark. It's a street that runs perpendicular to Main Street (where you took photos). There are several other areas in the East End where I would not venture after dark, it would be akin to strolling in the Hill District that time of day

Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
I dunno what to tell you... but I know that I wouldn't walk down Gallatin Avenue in Uniontown after dark. It's a street that runs perpendicular to Main Street (where you took photos). There are several other areas in the East End where I would not venture after dark, it would be akin to strolling in the Hill District that time of day
Are you kidding me? There were several murders in the Hill District last year. There hasn't been a murder in Uniontown since 2002.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:37 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,909,224 times
Your goal posts are murders? I'm not gonna argue the point with you lil bud. Go to Gallatin Ave and Pershing Court and hang out after dark and check back with us.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:38 PM

783 posts, read 2,023,834 times
Quote:

Well, I'm not accusing you of anything so don't take this as a personal attack...but I think people see the East End as extremely violent because a lot of the black folks from the Uniontown area live there and it has Pershing Court projects. People often assume the black side of town is extremely violent. Now, it's a poor place and there is crime, but it's not like Boyz N' Tha Hood or something. There aren't drive by shootings, kidnappings, rapes, and murders on a constant basis. The stats were listed and, by the numbers, it's not a violent place. I just think a lot of people from that area are intimidated by it because it's the black side of a small town, so everyone is told from birth to stay away from there. Again, the stats show otherwise. But, it's all relative. People that say they won't walk down Gallatin Ave because of the hookers often wouldn't think twice about walking down Liberty Ave in Pittsburgh after dark...and I know 10000% for a fact that hookers walk Liberty Ave, from the 7-11 store down towards the Convention Center area and Greyhound station.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Your goal posts are murders? I'm not gonna argue the point with you lil bud. Go to Gallatin Ave and Pershing Court and hang out after dark and check back with us.
You do realize that I live in McKees Rocks and regularly walk on the street after dark? McKees Rocks has a lot more crime than Uniontown. We have projects, poor people, and African Americans. I still feel safe here.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,225,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
The more I see of Pennsylvania, the more I love this state. Even the small cities and towns have urban architecture and charm. When I first moved to Pittsburgh, I had no idea that the smaller cities in the state would have such an urban feel. In Michigan, the small towns and cities have tiny downtowns and little if any urbanity. I feel like I could pick any city in PA to live and be happy there, even the small ones. I'm fascinated by the intact 19th century architecture and row-houses of Lancaster, York, and Reading, the great lakes charm of Erie, the railroad history of Altoona, the early American history of Philly. I don't know why people leave Pennsylvania. Whatever you are looking for in another state, you can probably find in one of our cities.
That's how I've regularly been viewing PA as well.

I believe it was of those two skyscraper forums that have a ton of photos. While most cities or towns did very little to me, almost every single PA town or city knocked me off my feet.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,924,254 times
Quote:
Haha you have to be kidding me. I would agree Uniontown has more crime than most of the rural areas around it, but really? Comparing it to one of Pittsburgh's most dangerous neighborhoods.... no

Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Anyone have any word on the Uniontown Jewish community? When I passed through, I noticed there were two synagogues, which is quite unusual for an isolated Pennsylvania small town in this day and age. Are they particularly active, or do they serve more as historical relics?
The synagogues served the Jewish community of all of Fayette County. Uniontown and Connellsvile both had thriving downtowns with lots of clothing stores, jewelry stores, etc. Many of them had Jewish ownership. When the stores closed around the early 1980's, many of the Jewish families eventually moved away.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 12-09-2011 at 09:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh