Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 AM

443 posts, read 600,890 times

Advertisements

I think we need far leftist to help balance out the extreme far right the republicans have gone. Seriously, I look at the list of candidates you got going for you, and all I can say is, "WOW". I got this douche or Obama. Long live the corporations.

I live in a land controlled by them and they buy out politicians.

I agree, if it is a private park then they should be evicted. I agree some of them are dirty smelly hippies who need jobs. But lets look at some of their points and if you don't agree then you are clearly blinded by the corporations and a tool being used by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,619 times
A couple of thoughts regarding the Occupy Pittsburgh movement and its right to assemble at Mellon Green:

Their current location, Mellon Green, is private property which is subject to special considerations regarding public use. Because of that status, there is some confusion whether or not they can be "evicted," hence the impending court hearing. We're not sure how that will all turn out, but I think the strategy of "occupying" this particular place was quite clever. If it were a public park, they would've long ago been removed.

Those making the argument that "It's private property, they must leave now" are grossly oversimplifying the issue.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Its a far leftist movement
Is it really that different from the "far right movement" of the Tea Party? Their entire slogan was "taxed enough already" meaning authority figures are holding them down financially for their own selfish needs. Occupy's slogan might as well be "screwed enough already" because it addresses other authority figures (corporations) holding them down financially for their own selfish needs. Perhaps if people didn't overly simplify EVERYTHING to "my team vs. your team" we could actually see that all of us have been served a turd on a silver platter.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 AM

443 posts, read 600,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Is it really that different from the "far right movement" of the Tea Party? Their entire slogan was "taxed enough already" meaning authority figures are holding them down financially for their own selfish needs. Occupy's slogan might as well be "screwed enough already" because it addresses other authority figures (corporations) holding them down financially for their own selfish needs. Perhaps if people didn't overly simplify EVERYTHING to "my team vs. your team" we could actually see that all of us have been served a turd on a silver platter.
I approve of this message.

Go to the political forums on this site. It is nothing but Us vs them with very little actually analysis on the subjects; Leftist, hippie, liberal, god hating, over educated freaks who hate guns, and love having abortions vs the job creating, right winged, conservative, God obeying, real American who is of course against abortion and loves guns.

It really is all the black and white.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 AM

747 posts, read 1,232,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I think we need far leftist to help balance out the extreme far right the republicans have gone. Seriously, I look at the list of candidates you got going for you, and all I can say is, "WOW". I got this douche or Obama. Long live the corporations.

I live in a land controlled by them and they buy out politicians.

I agree, if it is a private park then they should be evicted. I agree some of them are dirty smelly hippies who need jobs. But lets look at some of their points and if you don't agree then you are clearly blinded by the corporations and a tool being used by them.
I work in the BNY Mellon Client Service Center. The "Mellon Green" is a public space owned and operated by the corporation. For years the property was a gated off dump, a victim of the 1980's real estate collapse. The new park was developed to beautify the Mellon campus and opened in 2000 along with the Mellon Client Service Center.

I walk through the occupy camp daily on my way to work. I accept literture and engage in conversations with them. All who I have come in contact with appear to be motivated, and truly concerned about where this country is going.

I exposed my children to the camp site as well. I had to go in one weekend evening and took them with me. From the 12th floor conference tower you can really get a feel of what is there. I allowed my kids (11/9yrs) to walk through the camp. There was the smell of cooking food and coffee. They had a music concert and it was quite interesting to see. My kids were scared at first until I explained to them the reason that they were there. My 12 yr old daughter thought of them as brave souls.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 AM

875 posts, read 1,490,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
A couple of thoughts regarding the Occupy Pittsburgh movement and its right to assemble at Mellon Green:

Their current location, Mellon Green, is private property which is subject to special considerations regarding public use. Because of that status, there is some confusion whether or not they can be "evicted," hence the impending court hearing. We're not sure how that will all turn out, but I think the strategy of "occupying" this particular place was quite clever. If it were a public park, they would've long ago been removed.

Those making the argument that "It's private property, they must leave now" are grossly oversimplifying the issue.
If I recall, wasn't there some blatant "you can't protest/camp out in Point State Park" statement by the local authorities when the Occupy movement was just getting started in New York? Also, that park is not an effectual location for folks to notice them. Why not Mellon Square, a mere two blocks away, or is it still closed for renovations?

And I agree with what Curtis said earlier; the media is solely looking for strife and "action" to make a good story with this. The protesters have been there for virtually TWO MONTHS and just NOW we're hearing more news coverage about it with BNY Mellon's ultimatum? It's kind of disgusting frankly.

Even assuming the worst happens though, it couldn't be a bigger black eye to the city than the authoritarian response to the G20 protests.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:43 PM

659 posts, read 1,146,157 times
The problem is that its the extremists who represent how many of us? Where have all the moderates gone? I am a proud libertarian...I believe the less government we have, the better...we need to restore our freedoms and take back our country...Ron Paul is the only hope I see!

I see the movement as neither left or right...but perhaps anarchists and communists...yea, a strange mix alright.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
The facts remain:

We didn't get into this mess by doing something wrong; it came about mostly because ther nations caught on, and began doing more things right

That, in turn, meant that fewer people came here to take the dirty and unrewading jobs most Americansas scorn

And junior new hires are always stuck with the more tedious jobs; a degree in oriental philosophy won't get you a starting salary of $60K and a corner office

And contrary to popular belief, our nation's wealth wasn't all hidden away in a vault at some exclusive country club populated by "idle rich Republicans" -- it melted down when what was percieved as a coalition of radicals and dreamers came into power; as a wise man said over a century ago, "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

If this collection of chronic complainers wants to make real progress, they need to get a private-sector job producing something people actually want to buy. It's either that, or learing more about the "input" side of a broom and mop, or the "output" side of a bedpan.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Well, I guess enough people read my findings during my visit. I thought it was balanced and I also felt I was pretty balanced in saying I don't approve of them staying since Mellon does pay taxes on the property. Now it is some silly left vs. right crap. Who cares? It isn't a left movement, it is a group questioning our direction. Currently there is a democrat as the president, even though he has no power because no one is working with him.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
This is from Occupy Pittsburgh:

I'm still having trouble seeing how Americans wanting to pursue the American dream over hurdles like student and medical debt is somehow affiliated with a "left vs. right" standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh