Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:38 PM

206 posts, read 688,464 times

Advertisements

Well I think the question is settled just by the übercoolness of the name "Case Western Reserve."

So there, pthtphtpthht.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 03:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
mmmm. Seattle.
Maybe you should. Now there's a place that generates a lot of controversy.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:56 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Herodotus: What do you mean AAU? Sorry, I don't follow athletics all that much. DU has Divsion I gymnastics and hockey, and some other sports. In fact, I beleive they won some hockey championships recently. The frozen four? Something like that.
AAU is the Association of American Universities.

Association of American Universities

Old 09-04-2007, 06:57 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
I think Pittsburgh is unique to itself..(the good and the bad)..don't feel it has connections to anywhere and is sure enough not East Coast...which would be Philly and NYC...but a midwest city like Cleveland...but did have connections to Detroit when Motown was big there..(I take the connection thing back)..oops!!

Old 09-04-2007, 07:18 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Pittsburgh is not East Coast, but it's definitely not Midwest either. It's more or less in a region unto itself.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:13 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
Maybe you should. Now there's a place that generates a lot of controversy.
Maybe I should, what? lol. Yeah, the Seattle boards are always hot on fire, I guess you either love it or hate it (I love it). They are just sour because too many Californians have moved up there, hyper-inflated their housing market, took their jobs, and clogged up their streets with some of the most horrible traffic in the country!

The babies! :P

Old 09-04-2007, 09:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Maybe you should have replied about Seattle, when the question was asked about colleges. Sorry for not making myself more clear.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Smile Lake Erie

[quote=RockLobster;1418655] Both are trying to hit home runs with Bio technology and robotics. CMU gives Pittsburgh the lead in robotics. >>>>>>

Wouldn't it be in both cities best interest to try to harness that particular job market? That way, it would double the size of the area (relatively speaking -- like Seattle/Tacoma) and perhaps it would "seem" more appealing to the masses?

I personally like both cities. Cleveland has the lake and Pittsburgh is closer to DC.

Does anyone know how far the Lake Erie beaches in Cleveland are in relation to Pittsburgh and how far the beaches are in Erie, PA to Pittsburgh?
Thanks

Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
Maybe you should have replied about Seattle, when the question was asked about colleges. Sorry for not making myself more clear.
Oh, lol, I don't know near enough to talk about it, but I know WU version of UPMC is even more prestigious than UPMC.
Quote:
Wouldn't it be in both cities best interest to try to harness that particular job market? That way, it would double the size of the area
Funny you should say that, because just last month I read a very large article about this. Cleveland and Pittsburgh suburbs are slowly but surely starting to bleed together and this will continue to happen. Part of the article was about some big commission/organization in Cleveland wanting to share some sort of mutual "economic feedback" with Pittsburgh. Their idea and request was for both cities to share technology, ideas, resources, and economic clout. I'm not sure what ever came of the meetings, but it's not a bad idea, I hope to hear more about it soon.

OH! What was really neat is how they included in the article one of those "black maps" that show all the "lights and glow" in an area. It was amazing, Pittsburgh and Cleveland were both hugely lit up (obviously) and roughly equal in size, while there was a clear and distinct trail of lights that joined the cities together (suburbs running together). VERY interesting stuff, wish I still had that article for you.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:36 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Pitt may have been established in 1787 but I don't beleive there are any buildings left from that era. The Catheldral of Learning was built in the 1920s. No, I'm not an architecture student, but I'm not impressed with CMU. If someone has to tell you it looks nice, it doesn't.
No time/energy to look it up now, but I recall Martin Aurand's book
that explained that Pitt was downtown (there's an old building around Smithfield St I believe) until around 1900, when they moved everything to Oakland with plans of a great campus (which they dubbed the Parthenon plan -- you get the idea). Eventually they didn't get the financing they wanted and ended up abandoning the plan and building the Cathedral, which definitely wasn't part of the original plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh