Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times

Advertisements

A fair bit of Cranberry Township itself is still pretty rural too, just that the parts that HAVE been developed are very much so. If you throw in everything in the big SV school district, then there's lots of rural area. In Mars Area SD you have Adams (more built up) and Middlesex (less built up, I think) townships, plus Mars and Valencia boroughs. Mars Borough itself is not rural; it is a small town.

I can understand the appeal of the Mars SD over Seneca Valley though. I know someone who made the same move (well, moved from a place near Evans City to Valencia, which switched from one district to the other) when the kid was approaching school age.

You do have to really haunt the craigslist postings. They fly by really fast sometimes. Just checking it every few days or so is not enough; it's like multiple times a day if you want to catch something in that kind of area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Didn't see where cranberry was out of the question, though. Did you?
Yeah, it's right up there a few posts above. Although to be fair it was recent post, but it was after you asked this.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:56 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiplarue View Post
Well, we are not in a position to buy a home. And I won't put my kids in the Seneca valley SD. I targeted Mars b/c I really like the schools.
Can't blame you there, however, I think Seneca valley has come a long way from where it was. Before Treesdale came along, and money moved in, Mars was not a good area and the school district was lousy. It's definitely come a long way.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:11 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
A fair bit of Cranberry Township itself is still pretty rural too,.
I mentioned this before and SoButcounty (sp) agreed with me, take a drive on Franklin Road from 228 to 68(Evans City), and you'll think you're in the sticks.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:20 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Its definitely true but that area is SV School District. The only variable not mentioned is price range for renting.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
The only variable not mentioned is price range for renting.
It was mentioned in a previous thread.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:26 PM

63 posts, read 138,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
A 3 bedroom on 3/4 acre was posted today on Craig's List for $950/month. House for rent in Mars

Yup, that is the modular I mentioned. I was right on that until they told me it was a modular.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
A fair bit of Cranberry Township itself is still pretty rural too, just that the parts that HAVE been developed are very much so. If you throw in everything in the big SV school district, then there's lots of rural area. In Mars Area SD you have Adams (more built up) and Middlesex (less built up, I think) townships, plus Mars and Valencia boroughs. Mars Borough itself is not rural; it is a small town.

I can understand the appeal of the Mars SD over Seneca Valley though. I know someone who made the same move (well, moved from a place near Evans City to Valencia, which switched from one district to the other) when the kid was approaching school age.

You do have to really haunt the craigslist postings. They fly by really fast sometimes. Just checking it every few days or so is not enough; it's like multiple times a day if you want to catch something in that kind of area.
I think the hourly checks, everyday, cover it. Hourly , sometimes several times an hour.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Can't blame you there, however, I think Seneca valley has come a long way from where it was. Before Treesdale came along, and money moved in, Mars was not a good area and the school district was lousy. It's definitely come a long way.
Seneca is a fine school district, but it is much to big. My kids are coming from a school with 130 kids, k-6. Mars will be a big enough change for them.
And someone was saying cranberry has rural parts.... Had to laugh there, b/c your rural and my rural are a bit different I think. I'm coming from VT, where you travel 10 miles on dirt roads to get to "town" and you see more black bears than people. Now, I'm not looking for that rural, but if I can hear my neighbors talking, we are too close.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Its definitely true but that area is SV School District. The only variable not mentioned is price range for renting.
True, and while it was mentioned in another post, I wouldn't expect you to know that. 1300 is my limit.

3k for a house in Cranberry is not going to happen even with our salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh