Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 02:38 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
But would your brother, even if he lived in Swissvale or something, drive to downtown Braddock just to eat at an Olive Garden? That's all I'm saying, I think for something to be a viable business in Braddock right now, it'd need to fill a narrow enough niche that people would be willing to go out of their way to such an "undesirable" area to patronize it. Of course, this isn't to say that Superior Motors is nailed-on to be successful, just that I just don't feel Olive Garden or any other generic chain would have that kind of pull if one were to open in the same location as Superior Motors.
Great point. da 'burgh already has 3 OG restaurants and many nearby chain restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 03:52 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
But would your brother, even if he lived in Swissvale or something, drive to downtown Braddock just to eat at an Olive Garden? That's all I'm saying, I think for something to be a viable business in Braddock right now, it'd need to fill a narrow enough niche that people would be willing to go out of their way to such an "undesirable" area to patronize it. Of course, this isn't to say that Superior Motors is nailed-on to be successful, just that I just don't feel Olive Garden or any other generic chain would have that kind of pull if one were to open in the same location as Superior Motors.
People go to downtown McKees Rocks and McKeesport to dine at Eat n Park, .

The real problem with a place like Superior Motors as opposed to your less elite eateries, is that the the elite joints tend to close within a few years. Those Eat n Park locations have been in business for decades. Your Verde restaurant and Mr. Sousa's projects on Penn Ave and Broad St. have already closed in spite of very favorable reviews. I bet there are customers who have been eating the same breakfast at those Eat n Park locations since the Reagan Administration.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:38 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
People go to downtown McKees Rocks and McKeesport to dine at Eat n Park, .

The real problem with a place like Superior Motors as opposed to your less elite eateries, is that the the elite joints tend to close within a few years. Those Eat n Park locations have been in business for decades. Your Verde restaurant and Mr. Sousa's projects on Penn Ave and Broad St. have already closed in spite of very favorable reviews. I bet there are customers who have been eating the same breakfast at those Eat n Park locations since the Reagan Administration.
And many of those "elite" (horrible word choice, btw) restaurants are designed to not go forever. If they do stay around, odds are the menu or the overall concept will be very different in 5-10 years. In Verde's case, they'll simply close for a couple months, reopen with a new concept, be "hot" all over again and profit. Rinse and repeat.

Besides, who really cares? If KS was opening a place in Shadyside, there wouldn't be a quarter of the buzz. Likewise, if Olive Garden or Applebees opened in Braddock, nobody would care. But because Sousa is opening SM in Braddock, people are talking about Braddock and interested in taking a look at what going on there. And that's exactly what Fetterman wants. It's a good plan.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:51 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Sounds like a plan to lose $$$...but I hope they beat the odds. Looking forward to checking it out.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:01 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Chef Answers Tough Questions About Braddock Project « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 12-26-2016, 10:43 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Guess I will give a little opinion on this since it seems to be dead. I think their hearts are in the right place, but they aren't business people and don't know what they are doing in that sense. That is okay because sometimes if someone's heart is in the right place things will work out. The media cast a shadow on the people involved, but what else is new from any media these days with all the fake news that I have been discussing for over 3 years now. Glad people are waking up even though most are 3 years behind me! 3 years!!!! That is okay, I don't expect people to.... well I will leave it at that.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:53 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Yes, the bad press received really hurt this project, which is too bad because it was going to be an uphill battle even without the bad press.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:01 AM

994 posts, read 901,027 times
They spent 700k on removing cement and taking care of "other problems"? Let's see a breakdown of how all that money has been spent. Sousa says he keeps track, so then show it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh