Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 02:16 PM

598 posts, read 748,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Don't worry, our tax dollars are safe. We only give subsidies to really big corporations and sports teams with nary a peep.
Agreed. That's what make them a safer investment.
If any tax money was used to finance the restaurant, I hope they were limited to that of Braddock residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 02:44 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,967,818 times
No, Braddock residents are already subsidizing PNC Park, Heinz Field, and CONSOL Energy Center with their tax dollars. It's such a great investment.
For the owners of the teams. They're really hurting.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:33 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I highly doubt such a chain would have agreed to open up in Braddock
Not only that, but I can't imagine the customer base would be there for such a place, either. Pretty much any restaurant that opens there is going to be largely dependent on people coming from outside the borough. They'll probably be willing to go out of their way to go to Braddock for Sousa's joint because it'll be a different, unique experience with higher quality food. Whereas no one is going to go out of their way to go to Braddock to eat at a freaking Applebee's.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:53 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Not only that, but I can't imagine the customer base would be there for such a place, either. Pretty much any restaurant that opens there is going to be largely dependent on people coming from outside the borough. They'll probably be willing to go out of their way to go to Braddock for Sousa's joint because it'll be a different, unique experience with higher quality food. Whereas no one is going to go out of their way to go to Braddock to eat at a freaking Applebee's.
It's ILikeSpam's schtick. If you pay attention you'll see him also suggesting Subway when people ask for suggestions of a place to eat a nice dinner and so forth. I think he must find this hilarious for some reason, in a sort of "the voice of Real Pittsburgh" way. There is no reason to engage as if it were a serious suggestion.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:18 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
It's ILikeSpam's schtick. If you pay attention you'll see him also suggesting Subway when people ask for suggestions of a place to eat a nice dinner and so forth. I think he must find this hilarious for some reason, in a sort of "the voice of Real Pittsburgh" way. There is no reason to engage as if it were a serious suggestion.
I'm being a little tongue in cheek, sometimes, but the facts are that vast majority of Pittsburghers really never go to foodie magnets, either because they can't afford it or can't see spending a lot of money on something they are unsure of. You certainly don't have to engage particularly if you are looking for suggestions for dinner and you are a gourmand looking for the next hot thing.

A lot of people are like that around here, frugality has been part of Pittsburgh's character since revolutionary times. I've dined at Pizza Hut with my mum, and listened to my uncle's praise for Eat n Park's scrod enough times to know the real Pittsburgh for most people. My brother is younger than me, and earns 200k a year, loves the Olive Garden, eats there all the time.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:38 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
^^^^This.

Whether one likes it or not, catering to the majority is where the $$$ is made.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:30 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,946,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
^^^^This.

Whether one likes it or not, catering to the ***lowest common denominator*** is where the $$$ is made.
Fixed!

Old 10-15-2015, 06:32 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Fixed!
Yeah, you're certainly not a businessman.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:38 PM

419 posts, read 446,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I'm being a little tongue in cheek, sometimes, but the facts are that vast majority of Pittsburghers really never go to foodie magnets, either because they can't afford it or can't see spending a lot of money on something they are unsure of. You certainly don't have to engage particularly if you are looking for suggestions for dinner and you are a gourmand looking for the next hot thing.

A lot of people are like that around here, frugality has been part of Pittsburgh's character since revolutionary times. I've dined at Pizza Hut with my mum, and listened to my uncle's praise for Eat n Park's scrod enough times to know the real Pittsburgh for most people. My brother is younger than me, and earns 200k a year, loves the Olive Garden, eats there all the time.
I was at Olive Garden a few weeks back and I could hear people at a table near me raving about how much they love the "Eye-talian" food at the Olive Garden.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:47 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,946,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Yeah, you're certainly not a businessman.
YOU are their target demographic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh