Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 06:52 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
YOU are their target demographic!
I just know the target demographic. There's not enough people interested in spending enough $$$ to keep many places going.

It is interesting how many people such as yourself are so concerned where people live and how we/they spend our/their $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 06:56 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
I was at Olive Garden a few weeks back and I could hear people at a table near me raving about how much they love the "Eye-talian" food at the Olive Garden.
Personally I think they make some tasty dishes.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
But there's no BYOB. I wasn't aware how important that is to some.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:47 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
YOU are their target demographic!
Why all the hate for erieguy?

I'm a college-educated liberal 20-something who has a decent IQ and also happens to love Olive Garden's breadsticks. Does this make me part of the bottom barrel of America?

Old 10-15-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I'm a college-educated liberal 20-something who has a decent IQ and also happens to love Olive Garden's breadsticks. Does this make me part of the bottom barrel of America?
Even you know and have complained of Butler County, Cranberry, taxes, $$$, McMansions, etc...

I/we on the other hand, say the more the merrier and welcome everyone and most everything. Even Mario just built out here.

If you looked at from a better perspective, you could certainly make more $$$ at a busier pizza delivery restaurant than fighting your way through the city.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:20 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,032 times
Quote:
I don't go there by choice. But I have been there. Speaking as a cook and a food professional, I don't get the appeal.

I rarely go out for red sauce Italian, but if I were to do so, I'd go to a place like Big Jim's Roadhouse 100x out of 100. Huge portions (enough to make dinner the next day), more tasty, cheaper prices, better house salad, better bread... and for less $$$$.

Seems many people can't think outside of a big brand.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:55 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I don't go there by choice. But I have been there. Speaking as a cook and a food professional, I don't get the appeal.

I rarely go out for red sauce Italian, but if I were to do so, I'd go to a place like Big Jim's Roadhouse 100x out of 100. Huge portions (enough to make dinner the next day), more tasty, cheaper prices, better house salad, better bread... and for less $$$$.

I find no reason not to enjoy both as I prefer the variety since no places serves identical dishes. Even if I had the option of eating at say 'French Laundry' everyday for free, that wouldn't mean I'd stop getting a hankering for eat-n-park at times too.

If one doesn't like a place such as the Olive Garden because they've been there & dislike the taste of the food I'm fine with that, if however they don't like it just because it's a big national chain then I find that line of thinking silly.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:04 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

Do you mean Big Jim's out on 79? The one in Greenfield / the Run is amazing; I'm aware of the one on the way to Canonsburg but not sure if they have any connection beyond just the name.

It's hard to debate about one kind of restaurant vs. another because the restaurant business is such a complicated thing, and people have such different needs depending on their circumstances. It's also a huge question, whether a restaurant in Braddock should focus on the local community, or whether it should try to attract people from elsewhere to come in and spend time in Braddock when they otherwise wouldn't.

Personally I think that local, independent businesses do more for a community than national chains in the end, because they attract a certain kind of intangible good will that can't be boiled down to a dollar amount. On Federal Street there's a Pizza Hut across the street from an independent burrito shop. I don't know which one makes more money, but it's probably Pizza Hut. I still think the burrito shop does more for the community, though, because it draws people to come and hang out and get to know the neighborhood, and that's incredibly important for the whole North side.

Demographic questions become very tricky here, and it's mostly (but not entirely) true that the burrito shop crowd is much more gentrified than the Pizza Hut crowd. This doesn't have to be the case, though, and there's definitely a way for restaurants to reach out to both the established locals and other people who might want to get to know places like Braddock, and would love a new reason to go check it out.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I

I find no reason not to enjoy both as I prefer the variety since no places serves identical dishes. Even if I had the option of eating at say 'French Laundry' everyday for free, that wouldn't mean I'd stop getting a hankering for eat-n-park at times too.

If one doesn't like a place such as the Olive Garden because they've been there & dislike the taste of the food I'm fine with that, if however they don't like it just because it's a big national chain then I find that line of thinking silly.
Bingo.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:53 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

It makes you middlebrow. It may make you a sodium addict. These are both still legal things to be AFAIK. I am a firm believer in people's right to choose what they eat, where they live, and how they get to work, which I realize is a radical philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh