Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 09:58 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
They burned through all the money and are now seeking more funding to finish due to unforeseen problems...

Braddock mayor, chef confident upscale restaurant will open | Local News - WTAE Home
If Mayor Fetterman had pursued Applebee's or the Olive Garden to occupy the space, there wouldn't have been any financing problems and the place would probably be up and running and doing a good business already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 10:07 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If Mayor Fetterman had pursued Applebee's or the Olive Garden to occupy the space, there wouldn't have been any financing problems and the place would probably be up and running and doing a good business already.
I highly doubt such a chain would have agreed to open up in Braddock

Old 10-13-2015, 12:03 PM

419 posts, read 446,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
True. One of the ideas of this restaurant was that Sousa and Fetterman wanted to help bring Braddock back. Olive Garden and Applebee's hardly have the same aspirations.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:11 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,967,818 times
Places like Braddock have been written off by corporate America. People like Sousa and Fetterman at least try and spark some interest in these communities. They're actually doing something that may improve their community, which is more than most of us do.

I'm sure chain restaurant formulas are pretty set in stone, which is why they congregate around strip malls with the same stores you can find anywhere, slap up some cheap cinder block restaurants, lay some blacktop for parking, and offer their warmed-over cuisine.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
You can find chain restaurants in other distressed towns like McKees Rocks, McKeesport, Homestead and Wilkinsburg, I don't see why Braddock couldn't attract new joints as well.

Braddock has enough vacant land available, assembling enough space for a restaurant shouldn't be that terribly difficult- particularly with the cooperation of Braddock borough hall.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:40 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,198 times
Quote:
You can find chain restaurants in other distressed towns like McKees Rocks, McKeesport, Homestead and Wilkinsburg, I don't see why Braddock couldn't attract new joints as well.

Braddock has enough vacant land available, assembling enough space for a restaurant shouldn't be that terribly difficult- particularly with the cooperation of Braddock borough hall.
Wilkinsburg has a couple fast food places but what applebees or olive garden? Also its a huge traffic area on Penn Ave, and like Homestead isn't even remotely comparable to Braddock.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:24 PM

385 posts, read 309,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
Wilkinsburg has a couple fast food places but what applebees or olive garden? Also its a huge traffic area on Penn Ave, and like Homestead isn't even remotely comparable to Braddock.
I love engaging with my favorite brands.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:57 AM

994 posts, read 901,454 times
Quote:
I'm glad he didn't pursue something so foolish as your suggestion. Braddock is clearly improving, and if this restaurant is successful, the chains will come on their own. No corporate welfare needed.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:21 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
From the pictures in the news about the place it doesn't even look remotely finished - hope it doesn't become another taxpayer black hole

Old 10-14-2015, 09:44 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,967,818 times
Don't worry, our tax dollars are safe. We only give subsidies to really big corporations and sports teams with nary a peep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh