Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:19 PM

511 posts, read 1,937,314 times

Advertisements

I think some of you need to clean your glasses or contacts; after 36 years of living through winters that commonly produce upwards of 200 inches of snow, just 130 miles north of Pittsburgh, the weather down here is very refreshing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordzgirl View Post
I'm not trying to slag Pittsburgh. It's my hometown, and I spent the past 37 years there. HOWEVER, I find it really hard to believe that no one but me ever noticed the utter lack of sunshine. Yes, there are days here and there where it's sunny, and I certainly won't quibble with that, but you have to admit there are many more days that are just downright overcast. It doesn't rain, it doesn't snow, it's just got a big cloudy sky overhead. Spend a week anywhere outside of the area, and you'll notice. Heck, go up to CAnada in the winter where it's FREEEEEEZING and you'll see a big blue sunshiny sky above you almost every day.

Not that I don't love Pittsburgh, I do. It just didn't love us back, and that's why we moved Plus, there is something to be said for a nice overcast day. We had one in Charleston today, but the bright side of that coin is that it probably will be sunny again tomorrow.
This subject has been discussed before. Unfortuantely, many people refuse to believe the National Weather Service statistics or their own eyes.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:20 PM

919 posts, read 3,185,165 times
Pittsburgh has four distinct seasons which makes it superior to many other regions inho.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:03 AM

17 posts, read 64,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I agree. I spent 21 winters in Pittsburgh. I do not remember any big March snowstorms. I have pictures of many a March Easter with everyone in shirtsleeves. It flaked a little in March the year my mother died. Perhaps you are thinking of winter in Colorado?
You must not have been here for the blizzard in 1993, then. Or the one in 1985.

We've had snow in May. It snowed on Mother's Day, 1966. And just last year we had snow on Easter--in April.

February 2003: 18 inches of snow. A week later, the first week of March, we got another 8 inches.

January 2005: It snowed 28 out of 31 days in the month.

Someone mentioned a snowstorm when kids didn't get home till after 8 pm. I remember that. I was in the 7th grade. It was 50 something degrees that morning, and most kids just wore light jackets to school. By noon we had 6 inches on the ground...and some of us walked to school. It was a really cold walk, but we made it.

The last few years, March is colder than January, and it stays cold through April. Not like when we were kids, when winter was over by the beginning of March and by the end of March it really was spring.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOfTheLake View Post
And just last year we had snow on Easter--in April.
Ahhh yes we did. And Scottie got to drive from Youngstown to Erie in it, and then we went to the Pirates home opener the next day............sunny, but 36 degrees

Old 01-16-2008, 12:37 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
I went to college in Erie. Winters in Pittsburgh are nothing. In Erie, though, they don't go insane when it snows a foot. It's generally flatter and everybody still gets around. If it snows 4 inches in Pittsburgh, schools close and people run to the stores for toilet paper. And let's not forget the local TV stations with their "Breaking severe weather team end of the world" coverage which instills panic in the populace.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 PM

107 posts, read 350,362 times
it's cold outside

Old 01-16-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I went to college in Erie. Winters in Pittsburgh are nothing. In Erie, though, they don't go insane when it snows a foot. It's generally flatter and everybody still gets around. If it snows 4 inches in Pittsburgh, schools close and people run to the stores for toilet paper. And let's not forget the local TV stations with their "Breaking severe weather team end of the world" coverage which instills panic in the populace.
I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that the kids in Mt Lebanon/Bethel/USC had more days off in a two week period last year than I had from Kindergarten through my senior year in college in Erie.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnedYinzer View Post
it's cold outside
You have no idea what cold is if you think its cold.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:22 PM

30 posts, read 113,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnedYinzer View Post
it's cold outside
after those days last year where the wind chill was below -20, i'm quite fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh