Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 07:36 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
"CARS FIRST---OUTTA MY WAY!!!"
Pot, calling Kettle. Comm check. Over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Our region needs to stop whining; stomach a tax increase
In addition to increases in state taxes? In addition to the extra taxes we already pay in the County (1% extra sales tax, drink tax, emissions tests, now higher registration fees for vehicles, etc, etc)??

How about our region just stop throwing money away at boondoggles like the Wilson Center and the "affordable housing for all" push?

I live frugally and responsibly, on a budget. After all of my monthly obligations are paid, I have about $400 left over. For everything - car inspection, my water heater blowing up, haircuts, entertainment, etc.
Tax increases, even minor, will have little effect on my gross salary - but will take a far more serious hit on my expendable income, as it will have the same effects on many others. This ripple effect will be felt throughout the regional economy as the velocity of money slows. More people paying more taxes results in less money for luxuries - such as food deliveries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 06:41 PM

3,253 posts, read 2,338,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
I've never wished or hoped for people to die. That's a level of sickness that confounds me.
Same here, it's awful. It's terrible for SCR to want Yinzers to die off and people who don't behave in traffic the way SCR thinks the should. It's disgusting.

If he thinks Europe is all peace and love on the highways, he's clearly never been to Europe. Italy is NOTHING like that, nor are most of the other countries in Europe. There are virtually no rules and cars constantly zip in and out of traffic and blare their horns constantly. Motorcycles ride down the middle of two lanes of traffic, scaring the crap out of drivers. European traffic is not for the faint of heart.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:08 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
It's not about Europe or whatnot, it's about remaining calm and respectful. You're posting from your home, no one is forcing you to do anything, there is no pressure, why so angry ? Especially online, in a thread about bike lanes ? And what is it with the death wishing ?
There's a time and place for being passionate, angry, for ranting etc. Online forum, a topic about bike lanes.. it really is not one of those .. places. Or times.
Anyway, you get what I'm trying to say.
Yac,

Old 10-10-2015, 11:32 AM

175 posts, read 168,379 times
This is not a war. One side is not going to "win"...but there is clearly a movement in many cities, Pittsburgh included, to improve their networks of green spaces and bike/pedestrian infrastructure. In many of these cases, it involves slowing vehicle traffic and sometimes taking away road space in the form of lane/parking removal or through the use of curb cuts/bollards/etc.

None, let me repeat, NONE of this is being done to appease the suburban commuter. For the most part, they are not bringing in the money to the neighborhood businesses. It's being done to improve the quality of life for the residents of the city. City dwellers suffer every day from the focus on vehicles in their neighborhoods and the lack of safe access in place where bike lanes and sidewalks do not exist at all.

The city may be losing overall population but certain areas are definitely benefiting from the Millennials' move back into cities and that should only continue going forward. The anti bike crowd seems to consist mainly of the people who live and play outside of the city anyways because they value their space and don't enjoy the density of people.

Since there is literally nothing logical for the city to do that would entice these suburban types to live in the city and spend a significant part of their money there (huge free parking lots and fast wide roads through every neighborhood?! How did that work for E Liberty?), the only logical thing is to make the neighborhoods and the connectivity better for those that actually LIVE there. I, for one, am glad Pgh has just the kind of logical person at the helm to understand this!

Old 10-10-2015, 12:12 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
^^^^Bingo...and vice versa for the way the burbs are set up.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:18 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Lots of people who live in the city near the proposed bike lanes are opposed to them. Did you see the hearings?

Old 10-10-2015, 02:36 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
How will they be able to plow the streets with those cones sticking up?

Old 10-10-2015, 04:19 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
How will they be able to plow the streets with those cones sticking up?
Peduto and gang are going to put a plow on the front of the party pedaler.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:33 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post
This is not a war. One side is not going to "win"...but there is clearly a movement in many cities, Pittsburgh included, to improve their networks of green spaces and bike/pedestrian infrastructure. In many of these cases, it involves slowing vehicle traffic and sometimes taking away road space in the form of lane/parking removal or through the use of curb cuts/bollards/etc.

None, let me repeat, NONE of this is being done to appease the suburban commuter. For the most part, they are not bringing in the money to the neighborhood businesses. It's being done to improve the quality of life for the residents of the city. City dwellers suffer every day from the focus on vehicles in their neighborhoods and the lack of safe access in place where bike lanes and sidewalks do not exist at all.

The city may be losing overall population but certain areas are definitely benefiting from the Millennials' move back into cities and that should only continue going forward. The anti bike crowd seems to consist mainly of the people who live and play outside of the city anyways because they value their space and don't enjoy the density of people.

Since there is literally nothing logical for the city to do that would entice these suburban types to live in the city and spend a significant part of their money there (huge free parking lots and fast wide roads through every neighborhood?! How did that work for E Liberty?), the only logical thing is to make the neighborhoods and the connectivity better for those that actually LIVE there. I, for one, am glad Pgh has just the kind of logical person at the helm to understand this!
Great post!

Old 10-10-2015, 04:49 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post

A lot of city of Pittsburgh residents are motorists, and making it more difficult for these resident (who have higher disposable income on average) to patronize city businesses isn't going to help the businesses at all and reduce the appeal of city living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh