Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 12:47 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,419,129 times

Advertisements

If I had to guess their business plan, Uber is using the surge pricing and their cut of driver's money in order to fund their move into driverless cars. Once that is ready, they will kick the drivers to the curb and the customers will have to pony up the $$$ to take advantage of the new tech and convenience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 12:49 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,343,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
If I had to guess their business plan, Uber is using the surge pricing and their cut of driver's money in order to fund their move into driverless cars. Once that is ready, they will kick the drivers to the curb and the customers will have to pony up the $$$ to take advantage of the new tech and convenience.
Certainly a safe bet. Tough to deny that's what's in the works though as it seems obvious it's headed that way...but I wouldn't expect it too soon.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:51 PM

387 posts, read 411,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
I was referring specifically to SCR, and he works for Postmates (though they may have a similar requirement, I'm not sure). Still....10 year old car is far far cheaper and can be just as reliable as a brand new, financed car.

Speaking as someone who has driven on/off for the last 15 yrs this is the most sound advice anyone can use. There have been plenty of times where I was transporting 2 women (180lbs+ each) in addition to two carts of groceries. The commuter cars(Prius-Fit) of today don't hold up that well carrying that much cargo up and down our steep streets. I've used Uber a couple of times and while a decent service their rates could be a little better. Meaning when I drive (indie ofcourse) my rates are the same all of the time. This allowed me to retain customers ( as they like consistency) and get tipped pretty well. In about 3-4 hrs I would usually make $100-$150. This was basically for gas/lunch/misc during the week when I was working in the office. Heck my co-workers would ask me for rides during lunch break. In short if you just looking to supplement your income it's not too bad. Making it your mainstay is when it gets complicated.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:57 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,422,771 times
I have 2 questions, I keep getting messages about having $50 in uber credits to try out the service. Do the drivers still get paid with those credits, also do you tip the uber driver.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:05 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,289,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It happened at 2 am. Delivery drivers also get mugged. Don't Uber drive beyond 9pm. Issue should be solved.
your uber profile is directly linked to your person though

Old 02-16-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
your uber profile is directly linked to your person though
What does that have to do with driving drunks at night or getting mugged at 2 am?

If you don't drive at those times there shouldn't be an issue.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:26 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,184,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I have 2 questions, I keep getting messages about having $50 in uber credits to try out the service. Do the drivers still get paid with those credits, also do you tip the uber driver.
Yes, they get paid the normal rate.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:55 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,289,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
What does that have to do with driving drunks at night or getting mugged at 2 am?

If you don't drive at those times there shouldn't be an issue.
there is a direct record of when you were in the car. also, they will charge cleaning fees for damages caused.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
there is a direct record of when you were in the car. also, they will charge cleaning fees for damages caused.
Great, but some may not want puking in their car no matter if the cleaning fee is covered or not.

As to getting mugged, I'm sure nobody wants to get mugged or worse even if Uber knows who it is.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:00 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,925,022 times
uber goal is to replace the bus system nationwide. make it cheaper than a bus, which is why uber pool exists and also why they changed logo.

uber went from a high end lux black car, lmo license company to cheaper than a bus fare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh