Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 08:16 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,964,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Poor planning shouldn’t require anyone to pay for things that they had nothing to do with. If one wants to stay and hold the bag for those things that’s on them.
Agreed, which is why I believe 30 years from now, the sunbelt will be complaining about where all the people went when their shiny infrastructure starts to show age and fatigue and they have to raise taxes to pay for replacement and an unsustainable model. I don’t have to do anything but wait. Just gotta time the cycles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 08:46 AM

969 posts, read 773,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Agreed, which is why I believe 30 years from now, the sunbelt will be complaining about where all the people went when their shiny infrastructure starts to show age and fatigue and they have to raise taxes to pay for replacement and an unsustainable model. I don’t have to do anything but wait. Just gotta time the cycles.
Don't forget about climate change, also. Huge portions of the Sunbelt that are currently booming will probably end up abandoned.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:49 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,162,325 times
Quote:
Poor planning shouldn’t require anyone to pay for things that they had nothing to do with. If one wants to stay and hold the bag for those things that’s on them.

Don’t tell anyone but many in Butler County would pay more taxes. We just don’t have to.
I don't view it as poor planning, as generally, infrastructure isn't very flexible. If we suddenly stopped using roads and flew everywhere in drones, you'd be saying that Butler County, or Houston, or whatever, is poorly planned. What I do view it as is artificially low prices to build new in areas that should likely be preserved as we continue to eradicate greenfields, forests, and the rest of our environment. People have this belief that they are saving money, and they are making decisions that are in the best interest of them individually in the short term, for the most part. Individuals can't be blamed for wanting something shiny and new or wanting space, convenient roads and access to nature, etc.

That said, the value of an acre of forest to society is far higher than it is to an individual landowner, who might sell that acre for $30k or less but feel like they need that money in their pocket. We have an economy designed around incentives that promote poor planning, Butler County notwithstanding.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:23 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,246,752 times
Quote:
Unlikely to happen. Those who want to live in the sunbelt are going to live in the sunbelt. I spend half the year in Florida and am not changing that anytime soon.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I don't view it as poor planning, as generally, infrastructure isn't very flexible. If we suddenly stopped using roads and flew everywhere in drones, you'd be saying that Butler County, or Houston, or whatever, is poorly planned. What I do view it as is artificially low prices to build new in areas that should likely be preserved as we continue to eradicate greenfields, forests, and the rest of our environment. People have this belief that they are saving money, and they are making decisions that are in the best interest of them individually in the short term, for the most part. Individuals can't be blamed for wanting something shiny and new or wanting space, convenient roads and access to nature, etc.

That said, the value of an acre of forest to society is far higher than it is to an individual landowner, who might sell that acre for $30k or less but feel like they need that money in their pocket. We have an economy designed around incentives that promote poor planning, Butler County notwithstanding.
Who is going to pay to maintain these greenfields? Farmers and especially their offspring don’t want to farm anymore. That’s mostly, especially Cranberry, where these new properties are being built.

Not everything in Butler County is shiny and new. Many people are saving money, and also getting a far better value than Allegheny County. Cranberry is extremely convenient and imo the perfect distance from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a great place to visit but I couldn’t be paid to live in the city, however, I understand that many, including my friends and family love living there.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Unlikely to happen. Those who want to live in the sunbelt are going to live in the sunbelt. I spend half the year in Florida and am not changing that anytime soon.
You don’t live in the sunbelt, you vacation there. There will always be coastal vacation spots, but it’s economic factors currently (cheap COL) and corporate advantages currently driving migration. Once infrastructure starts creaking, the old man disease of the north/Midwest will take hold, just watch.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Who is going to pay to maintain these greenfields? Farmers and especially their offspring don’t want to farm anymore. That’s mostly, especially Cranberry, where these new properties are being built.

Not everything in Butler County is shiny and new. Many people are saving money, and also getting a far better value than Allegheny County. Cranberry is extremely convenient and imo the perfect distance from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a great place to visit but I couldn’t be paid to live in the city, however, I understand that many, including my friends and family love living there.
When you admit you’re an outlier, admit that you may one day be along in your decision making. Doesn’t make you wrong, but the next generation doesn’t believe in supercomputing and living life on the road.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:38 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,057,227 times
Quote:
You don’t live in the sunbelt, you vacation there. There will always be coastal vacation spots, but it’s economic factors currently (cheap COL) and corporate advantages currently driving migration. Once infrastructure starts creaking, the old man disease of the north/Midwest will take hold, just watch.
Florida in particular is really, really dependent upon a continual influx of senior citizens to replace the last batch dying off. I really wonder what's going to happen there once the Boomers die off, because there aren't enough Xers to fill up all the retirement communities.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:42 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,606,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I really wonder what's going to happen there once the Boomers die off, because there aren't enough Xers to fill up all the retirement communities.
Plus, I'd rather die in a trash compactor than a retirement community.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
If I was able to move there tomorrow I would.

You’re assuming other areas are going to become more desirable and attract more people. It hasn’t happened here and won’t happen here anytime soon.

I’d watch, but it won’t happen in my lifetime or any generations in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh