Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 09:10 AM

170 posts, read 97,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Gas prices are high in PA, the highest in the nation because of Act 89 which keeps the Port Authorty afloat. Yes the highest gasoline tax in the nation. The port Authority relies on act 89 to keep operating. If it went away bus routes would be cut in half and the rail line would be mothballed. Sooner than people expect. This tax is set to expire in 2022. Let’s see what happens. I don’t see the light rail around in Pittsburgh past the 2030s and I think the port authority will be a much leaner organization. Self driving cars and ride share are the future. They ain’t getting more state or federal money to put bandaids on old technology or to add transit to a declining city. If Pittsburgh was growing it would be a different story.
"This tax is set to expire in 2022. Let’s see what happens. I don’t see the light rail around in Pittsburgh past the 2030s and I think the port authority will be a much leaner organization. "

Based on this thread, I am inclined to agree with you on the "T" situation. I'm a little cynical on the Port Authority getting its act together and shrinking, I recall the first gas tax hike around 2004/2005 by the Rendell Administration because SEPTA and Port Authority were basically failing. Because of the substantial pension obligations of Port Authority and probably SEPTA, I don't see the state or fedgov allowing a bankruptcy seeing them as TBTF. They will cite some other BS reason to keep them afloat, but it will be because of pensions. On the subject I'd be curious to know if something like Port Authority were to ever liquidate, would the county be on the hook for the pensions?

Last edited by 28CarsLater; 10-15-2019 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 10:56 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,732 times
You will get decent advice and insight on here. It's like anything online you just have to filter out the extremes. Personally I think Pittsburgh has a lot to offer. I am not a lifelong resident moving here 13 years ago but my family is from here so I've visiting every year since I was born. I've lived in NJ, FL, and PA plus my work takes me all over spending weeks or months in various cities (I think I've been to over 30 states). Is Pittsburgh the best place to live, that is subjective. To me yes, it doesnt have everything I would want but when I consider the places that would I know that to live there would be harder due to cost of living and as such I wouldnt be able to really enjoy the things Pgh doesnt have anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 03:22 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,101 times
Please keep in mind that the OP is discussing Beechview vs. Swissvale, not gas prices or converting the T system into buses. Posts discussing anything else will be deleted and infractions will be given to individual members
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh