Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 06:50 PM

3,112 posts, read 2,932,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drband36 View Post
SCR, thank you so much for the insights. There is just something about Beechview. The lack of buzz doesn't bother us -- or rather, it isn't really even a factor. B'view checks our boxes.
How can’t it! Look at this place that is about 3 blocks from the T line. There are only 9 active listings in Beechview right now, so I have to wonder if it is catching some buzz.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_32830513/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 07:24 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,421,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
How can’t it! Look at this place that is about 3 blocks from the T line. There are only 9 active listings in Beechview right now, so I have to wonder if it is catching some buzz.

Does the ceiling going up the stairs look very low

Old 10-08-2019, 07:43 PM

3,112 posts, read 2,932,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Does the ceiling going up the stairs look very low
It does look like it. Doesn’t make much sense but seems to be original. The stairs seem to very steep to begin with and it might have an even steeper staircase to the attic there since there is only a front dormer I dont think the attic is a full walk up.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:45 PM

615 posts, read 396,633 times
Quote:

It’s the fastest growing neighborhood in the city with population, thanks to the Hispanic influx of residents. The only city neighborhood with a growing minority population. Can peduto find beechview on a map? He’s all about diversity but only cares about the least diverse neighborhoods in the city. Beechview is south hills not the glorious East end

My brother in law lives in beechview right now. He rents, but will probably buy a house in Washington City. Likes the vibe of the smaller downtown and tired of paying 3 percent wage tax

Old 10-08-2019, 08:56 PM

22 posts, read 22,111 times
Quote:

We take a virtual look at every house that comes on the market in Beechview. We're very handy and have done cosmetic work on houses before, so the only ones we won't consider are ones that need structural work.

This place is gorgeous, but I'm 6'0" and my hubby is nearly 6'5" -- there would have to be a lot of tire kicking. Thanks for posting!

Old 10-08-2019, 09:24 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,086,319 times
some more of my 2 centavos, if it's worth it....

there was mention of the Flats in this thread. I had been along Carson Street several times within the last few weeks, and for the first time in years. I have used the bike trail, but really got a look around from my car, and on foot these times....That really is a beautiful, fantastic neighborhood.

The night crowd is not to everyone's liking, of course - it being dominated by a younger demo in the thousands.

Mt. Washington and Duquesne Heights - buyer beware. I can't pinpoint why except that I just don't feel confident about buying in those areas. I think its a combination of a lot of things - the through traffic from 51 up to then down the PJ McArdle just FLIES through there. I hate that.

Then you have around Southern/Virginia/Wyoming the most clueless of drivers.....

Then the tourists trying to park at times.....

I just can't envision living in that general area and feeling 'at home'.....

Old 10-09-2019, 06:13 AM

170 posts, read 98,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drband36 View Post
We take a virtual look at every house that comes on the market in Beechview. We're very handy and have done cosmetic work on houses before, so the only ones we won't consider are ones that need structural work.

This place is gorgeous, but I'm 6'0" and my hubby is nearly 6'5" -- there would have to be a lot of tire kicking. Thanks for posting!
I grew up in a house of a similar layout, on hill, and my elderly mother still lives there. This style of house is not conducive to her mobility issues at all, the laundry hookups are likely in the basement, the bathroom is likely upstairs, and in our case there are another set of twelve concrete steps in front of the four which lead up to the porch (which this property does not have of course). I would bear this in mind with your home buying decisions, much of what you will find in Brookline/Beechview is of this layout, in nearby Banksville there are some newer style ranches but there you lose "T" access. Personally, I pine for a ranch and I don't have any mobility issues.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:33 AM

14,357 posts, read 17,125,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Mt. Washington and Duquesne Heights - buyer beware. I can't pinpoint why except that I just don't feel confident about buying in those areas. I think its a combination of a lot of things - the through traffic from 51 up to then down the PJ McArdle just FLIES through there. I hate that.

Then you have around Southern/Virginia/Wyoming the most clueless of drivers.....

Then the tourists trying to park at times.....

I just can't envision living in that general area and feeling 'at home'.....
You have to be very careful where you move in the Mt. Washington area if you want an urban environment, because the majority of it by land area (in which I'd include basically all of Duquense Heights) is functionally speaking suburban. Limited bus access, and very little commerce within walking distance.

The only area I find personally desirable is right around Shiloh Street and the Mon Incline, but most of the housing around there is chopped up into rentals and never goes on the market for sale. Sometimes you can find nice houses around a 10 minute or so walk from Shiloh though.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:08 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,738,156 times
SCR I hope you do move to Beechview. The potential is there. There are two Beechviews - and they are divided by Crane Avenue. There's the condensed part we all know, from Dormont to Crane, then more suburban like after Crane towards the downtown. My favorite house in that area https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4182...7i13312!8i6656

Old 10-09-2019, 08:06 AM

32,630 posts, read 77,836,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
SCR I hope you do move to Beechview. The potential is there. There are two Beechviews - and they are divided by Crane Avenue. There's the condensed part we all know, from Dormont to Crane, then more suburban like after Crane towards the downtown. My favorite house in that area https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4182...7i13312!8i6656
Beautiful home!

To me even Gladys is still walkable to the Fallowfield "T" stop. I mean if I'm already walking 2.4 miles each way to and from work, then I could certainly walk the ~3/4-mile from Gladys to the "T".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh