Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 07:17 AM

527 posts, read 319,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
the Troiani Group plans a high-density, mixed-use, and green development at the locations of 212 and 214 Boulevard of the Allies

https://troiani.com/troiani-group-of...st-side-tower/

• 200,000 square feet of Class A Office Space
  • 151 residential units

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 07:45 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Excellent!!

Old 06-11-2020, 08:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Geez, that sounds amazing. Very good for a moral boost for our city.

Thanks for posting it.

Eschaton? Thoughts. Love the idea of balconies and a rooftop deck with music. Almost seems to great to be true considering how crazy things are.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:25 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Eschaton? Thoughts. Love the idea of balconies and a rooftop deck with music. Almost seems to great to be true considering how crazy things are.
Full disclosure: My wife's architecture firm is involved - though she isn't personally - meaning I knew about this before it landed.

I tend towards being a preservationist, and I believe the Market Street buildings are irreplaceable and worth saving. That said, I don't have an issue with demolishing historic buildings if it results in a "higher and better use." A major new office/residential tower does qualify, and the design is pretty sharp overall.

My main issue with this is it's still basically a speculative project. The Troiani family clearly does not really have the financing together for this yet. They openly say unless they get an anchor tenant for the commercial portion of the development it's unlikely to go forward. Yet they're attempting to get permission from the Planning Commission to begin demolition of all of the remaining historic buildings on the site by early July.

What happens if the demolition is okayed, and they never get financing together? Maybe we end up with a vacant lot for a decade plus. Maybe we get a much smaller, less ambitious plan. Maybe the Troiani family somehow gets permission eventually to just turn the whole area into surface parking. All of these would be a tragic bait-and-switch, because the Troiani family is essentially using the massive proposed project as its excuse for why demolishing these buildings is allowable.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:10 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Full disclosure: My wife's architecture firm is involved - though she isn't personally - meaning I knew about this before it landed.

I tend towards being a preservationist, and I believe the Market Street buildings are irreplaceable and worth saving. That said, I don't have an issue with demolishing historic buildings if it results in a "higher and better use." A major new office/residential tower does qualify, and the design is pretty sharp overall.

My main issue with this is it's still basically a speculative project. The Troiani family clearly does not really have the financing together for this yet. They openly say unless they get an anchor tenant for the commercial portion of the development it's unlikely to go forward. Yet they're attempting to get permission from the Planning Commission to begin demolition of all of the remaining historic buildings on the site by early July.

What happens if the demolition is okayed, and they never get financing together? Maybe we end up with a vacant lot for a decade plus. Maybe we get a much smaller, less ambitious plan. Maybe the Troiani family somehow gets permission eventually to just turn the whole area into surface parking. All of these would be a tragic bait-and-switch, because the Troiani family is essentially using the massive proposed project as its excuse for why demolishing these buildings is allowable.
This is a bit concerning, especially given the times. I believe banks and other financing sources (private equity, pension funds, etc.) are probably pretty reticent to offer financing on spec right now. Normal residential lending standards are tight right now, and anything that is commercial, especially office space, is basically totally on hold. If the city gives them permission to demo without having solid financing and a shovel-ready plan, this could be a disaster.

Is there a way for residents to voice this concern and oppose the project without certain stipulations being met? I am not trying to impede progress here, but I can't see why demo couldn't wait until the financing situation is solidified.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:51 AM
gg

Quote:
The Troiani family clearly does not really have the financing together for this yet. They openly say unless they get an anchor tenant for the commercial portion of the development it's unlikely to go forward. Yet they're attempting to get permission from the Planning Commission to begin demolition of all of the remaining historic buildings on the site by early July.

Do you have a street view of the buildings that are going to be demolished? It does seem we like to tear things down and not have a plan in place. The Civic Arena comes to mind. They could have used it for a wonderful marketplace with open air. World class stuff really. Ahh, to imagine what it could have been like. Wow. Anyway, maybe they will not permit demolition until they get an anchor tenant. Doesn't seem to be the way things work though. Do you know why they tear things down so early? Cheaper to hold land only than buildings due to taxes?

Old 06-11-2020, 10:00 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Do you have a street view of the buildings that are going to be demolished? It does seem we like to tear things down and not have a plan in place. The Civic Arena comes to mind. They could have used it for a wonderful marketplace with open air. World class stuff really. Ahh, to imagine what it could have been like. Wow. Anyway, maybe they will not permit demolition until they get an anchor tenant. Doesn't seem to be the way things work though. Do you know why they tear things down so early? Cheaper to hold land only than buildings due to taxes?
They want to demolish these buildings on Market Street, along with this one on First Avenue.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:02 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Oh right, these are the Papa J's people. They basically have zero experience with high-rise development, is that correct? Are they partnering with a group like Oxford that actually has experience?

Old 06-11-2020, 10:04 AM
gg

Quote:
Thanks. So this plan has been kicking around for a while now. I remember seeing those buildings before.

Probably have to think about that for a while. I agree, I wish they would have to get an anchor in place and financing prior to just tearing those buildings down though.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:10 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
i have a columns of several 'pros', but one 'con' - obscuring the view of Mt. Washington. Not the neighborhood, but the actual land mass. I think that is psychologically refreshing to look over and see the southern neighborhoods, on a carpet of green.

you can still do that from as deep as Smithfield Street and Third Avenue.

this building would ruin much of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh