Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 06:47 AM

882 posts, read 337,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by merge View Post
insurers need to stop covering covid-related medical bills for those who are able, but refuse to get the vaccine.

100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 06:58 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,907,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Insurers need to stop covering COVID-related medical bills for those who are able, but refuse to get the vaccine.
LMAO.

How about they stop covering bills for the obese? Or for smokers? Or for those who drank themselves into a medical problem? Or those who became addicted to drugs? Or for those who got skin cancer?

Where do you draw the line?

Old 07-29-2021, 07:07 AM

807 posts, read 619,338 times
Is the answer here that, in the absence of the Affordable Care Act, insurers could (and frequently did) draw the line wherever their actuaries and/or underwriters told them to. So, to the extent government policy now limits what a private insurer can do in this regard, it is reasonable to, at least, consider what government policies might be changed to encourage behavior that would (arguably) be beneficial to society.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:12 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,080,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Is the answer here that, in the absence of the Affordable Care Act, insurers could (and frequently did) draw the line wherever their actuaries and/or underwriters told them to. So, to the extent government policy now limits what a private insurer can do in this regard, it is reasonable to, at least, consider what government policies might be changed to encourage behavior that would (arguably) be beneficial to society.
That would require a bill passed by Congress however, which would almost certainly mean finding 10 Republicans to sign onto it in the Senate.

Good luck with that.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:14 AM

807 posts, read 619,338 times
Oh yea, I definitely don't think it is possible, or even advisable. However, just responding to Ty's typically histrionic argument against such a possibility.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
just responding to Ty's typically histrionic argument against such a possibility.
But no snide comments about Merge's post?

They advocated changing policy to punish people for their personal health choices.
I brought up the slippery slope argument, because all of the conditions that I mentioned (many of which are very, very common) are all also personal lifestyle choices. So where does it end if its allowed to begin?

Sorry that some of us are actually concerned with concepts like liberty and freedom and personal choice.. where does society end and the individual begin?

At least I'm willing to go toe to toe in debates - while you cry to the moderators and advertisers to censor viewpoints you find distasteful.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:47 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,039,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That would require a bill passed by Congress however, which would almost certainly mean finding 10 Republicans to sign onto it in the Senate.

Good luck with that.
Do you think all democrats are going to go along with that idea? I don't think many would. Good luck with such an idea.

Maybe all these gangbangers that are uninsured most likely should just be left on the streets when they are in their nightly shootouts? Who is paying for all these people being shot? Or if they are insured, maybe they shouldn't be covered. Sure is one heck of a lot of shootings.

Anyway, the point is, no. It can't be done and would never pass even with democrats. They wouldn't do that as this isn't a Republican vs. Democrat issue like some people want to portray in their fake worlds. There are a lot of Democrats and Republicans not vaccinated. Trump got his, just like most people. I don't know many people unvaccinated, but know a few. I hope they stay safe as I love thy neighbor as the good book says, or really any civilized book would say.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
LMAO.

How about they stop covering bills for the obese? Or for smokers? Or for those who drank themselves into a medical problem? Or those who became addicted to drugs? Or for those who got skin cancer?

Where do you draw the line?

You draw the line at the Covid vaccine.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Sorry that some of us are actually concerned with concepts like liberty and freedom and personal choice.. where does society end and the individual begin?

It ends when the selfish childish choice of those able but unwilling to get the vaccine make it more dangerous for the children and immunocompromised to be safe.

If it only effected you, then I'd be fine with you dying because you valued your freedom from protecting yourself over your life. In fact, I'd chalk it up as a win provided by Charles Darwin. But it doesn't just effect you, so man the f*ck up, quit crying and get your goddamn shot.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
It ends when the selfish childish choice of those able but unwilling to get the vaccine make it more dangerous for the children and immunocompromised to be safe.

If it only effected you, then I'd be fine with you dying because you valued your freedom from protecting yourself over your life. In fact, I'd chalk it up as a win provided by Charles Darwin. But it doesn't just effect you, so man the f*ck up, quit crying and get your goddamn shot.
I've been fully vaccinated for months. I've worked at vaccination sites.
And I 'trust the science' of the vaccine, so I'm done wearing a mask. I spent weeks recently walking around Mexico City (5th largest city on the planet) without wearing a mask. And I didn't get the rona.. not even the super-scary media-induced 'Delta variant'.

So you'd cheer my death? Hopefully people with open eyes can understand my fears about giving unfettered poliitcal power to the likes of you, Doowle, and Merge. Ya'll would send a kulak like me to a 're-education camp' or use me for a reenactment of the Katyn Forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh