Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 08:27 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
It ends when the selfish childish choice of those able but unwilling to get the vaccine make it more dangerous for the children and immunocompromised to be safe.
#1 - Children aren't at risk from COVID.
#2 - The immunocompromised actually existed before COVID. How many of them did you see wearing masks during pre-COVID flu seasons? Did you wear a mask during flu seasons prior to COVID in order to protect the immunocompromised?

Those two arguments don't hold water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 08:40 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
It's a complicated situation.

On one hand, it's true that with the overwhelming majority of the elderly vaccinated, for the most part in terms of mortality COVID isn't much different from the flu.

Unfortunately, Delta is also way, way more infectious than the flu (or regular COVID). So we're seeing in parts of the country where few people have been vaccinated (Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida, etc.) that hospitals can still be filed to capacity. Which is is a big argument against just "letting it rip" and having people deal with the impact of their (poor) choices.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:42 AM

807 posts, read 617,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Hopefully people with open eyes can understand my fears about giving unfettered poliitcal power to the likes of you, Doowle, and Merge. Ya'll would send a kulak like me to a 're-education camp' or use me for a reenactment of the Katyn Forest.
So calling you histrionic is "snide," or did you mean to say, sheepishly, very accurate.

To be clear, I've made this point numerous times, but I do not support PGHpartiot's style of response; however, I was simply responding to your effort to frame the concept of insurance coverage exclusions as one of "freedom." Quite rightly, one (i.e., insurance companies) might view mandates to cover Covid-related expenses in individuals who could have otherwise been vaccinated to be a restriction on their freedom. Further, I don't support any vaccine mandates. I appreciate your wealth of experience (heck, I would love to spend a few weeks in Mexico City), but the over-the-top arguments are my beef.

Last edited by Doowlle34; 07-29-2021 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: adding to be clear

Old 07-29-2021, 08:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
.. not even the super-scary media-induced 'Delta variant'.

So you'd cheer my death? Hopefully people with open eyes can understand my fears about giving unfettered poliitcal power to the likes of you, Doowle, and Merge. Ya'll would send a kulak like me to a 're-education camp' or use me for a reenactment of the Katyn Forest.
The media is sure hyping the "delta variant" to the max that is for sure. They love people living in fear.

I agree with your second paragraph as well. Sure are a mean spirited bunch that really wish doom on so many. Odd way of living.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:56 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's a complicated situation.

On one hand, it's true that with the overwhelming majority of the elderly vaccinated, for the most part in terms of mortality COVID isn't much different from the flu.

Unfortunately, Delta is also way, way more infectious than the flu (or regular COVID). So we're seeing in parts of the country where few people have been vaccinated (Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida, etc.) that hospitals can still be filed to capacity. Which is is a big argument against just "letting it rip" and having people deal with the impact of their (poor) choices.
Yes, and it is going to require democratic debate about how we as a society wish to respond to this situation. We do need to take both sets of viewpoints into account.. my argument against the (re)imposition of restrictions is that those restrictions were not democratically debated - they were imposed by overzealous Governors or unelected public health officials. We need some sort of balance - we should encourage vaccination and focus on the positive data related to vaccinations, but we should not engage in coercion or mandates.

There was a very well-written, centrist, article published in Politico that I think may resonate with you.

Quote:
At some juncture, policymakers and civilians alike need to study what we’ve learned about Covid-19 and set a toleration point for what sort of Covid-19 contagion level we can accept. Should that toleration point be a level at which the burden doesn’t collapse our hospitals’ capacities? Should it look something like a recent week’s level of mortality rate, which translates to about 90,000 to 165,000 annual Covid-19 deaths? That death rate would be comparable to what we experienced during the 2017-18 flu season, when the flu hospitalized 810,000 people and killed 61,000. Every one of those flu deaths was tragic and every hospitalization arduous, but the toll didn’t translate into lockdowns or panic.

Setting a sensible toleration point for Covid-19 won’t come easy. Nobody wants to be the guy who says, “It’s regrettable but acceptable that this many people die.” But our day of reckoning is drawing near. We can’t hide in our burrows forever.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...ok-like-501373

Old 07-29-2021, 09:00 AM

807 posts, read 617,676 times
Quote:
use me for a reenactment of the Katyn Forest.
Definitely not going to do that, but might have to get the Polish witch doctor after you (see attached). Great-great grandmother (reportedly "Polish witch doctor'); Southeastern Poland, circa 1920.
Attached Thumbnails
It's been remarkable civil in here lately....-photo-6a-front-polish-widow-witchdoctor.jpg  

Old 07-29-2021, 09:02 AM

882 posts, read 335,736 times
Quote:
I've been fully vaccinated for months. I've worked at vaccination sites.
And I 'trust the science' of the vaccine, so I'm done wearing a mask. I spent weeks recently walking around Mexico City (5th largest city on the planet) without wearing a mask. And I didn't get the rona.. not even the super-scary media-induced 'Delta variant'.

So you'd cheer my death?

Nope. Read my post. If you're vaccinated, I have no problem with you.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:04 AM

882 posts, read 335,736 times
Quote:
#1 - Children aren't at risk from COVID.
#2 - The immunocompromised actually existed before COVID. How many of them did you see wearing masks during pre-COVID flu seasons? Did you wear a mask during flu seasons prior to COVID in order to protect the immunocompromised?

Those two arguments don't hold water.

You've been brainwashed and are actively spreading misinformation, so you can just go crawl back into your hole.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:08 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,756 times
in allegheny county, new cases per capita are coming from the lower income areas, so I would think about the consequences of withdrawing health coverage for those people.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
You've been brainwashed and are actively spreading misinformation, so you can just go crawl back into your hole.
Really. Why don't you provide statistics to prove someone wrong instead of a silly lazy one liner.

Children aren't effected much at all and most deaths are children with severe underlying conditions.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...vid-by-age-us/

One liners are the same as putting a dumb sign in your yard or "baby on board" sign in your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh