Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 09:23 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,902,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
You've been brainwashed and are actively spreading misinformation, so you can just go crawl back into your hole.
Do you wanna get high and say stupid things, or do you wanna debate with evidence?

Here's evidence backing my position:
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/w...vere-covid-19/
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...n/art-20484405
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...is-for-the-flu
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...en-adolescents
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/12/o...-children.html

Counter it with evidence of your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 09:27 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Yes, and it is going to require democratic debate about how we as a society wish to respond to this situation. We do need to take both sets of viewpoints into account.. my argument against the (re)imposition of restrictions is that those restrictions were not democratically debated - they were imposed by overzealous Governors or unelected public health officials. We need some sort of balance - we should encourage vaccination and focus on the positive data related to vaccinations, but we should not engage in coercion or mandates.

There was a very well-written, centrist, article published in Politico that I think may resonate with you.
FWIW, I don't see how any sort of restrictions (beyond maybe mask mandates, which are harmless) will be instituted at this point. I mean.

1. GOP states won't do them.

2. Dems in swing states won't do them because they're worried about the midterm backlash.

3. There's not even a big demand among those on the "left" at this point. People who have done the responsible thing, masked and socially isolated for a year, and got vaccinated would like to be rewarded with access to normal life. What I'm seeing instead is an increasing number of "eff em, let them die" comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
in allegheny county, new cases per capita are coming from the lower income areas, so I would think about the consequences of withdrawing health coverage for those people.
Source?

Old 07-29-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
FWIW, I don't see how any sort of restrictions (beyond maybe mask mandates, which are harmless) will be instituted at this point. I mean.

2. Dems in swing states won't do them because they're worried about the midterm backlash.

3. There's not even a big demand among those on the "left" at this point. People who have done the responsible thing, masked and socially isolated for a year, and got vaccinated would like to be rewarded with access to normal life. What I'm seeing instead is an increasing number of "eff em, let them die" comments.

Source?
Im not sure.. the media certainly seems to be setting the stage to prepare us for vaccination mandates, masking mandates, and even seeing lockdowns bandied about.

I agree with you on point 1 - anywhere under GOP control won't do anything.
Point 2 - Yes, and no. While its unlikely that Democratically controlled states will do much on a state level (given that rural areas of states still have GOP opposition and the urban Dems could theoretically worry about the GOP picking up power on the state or federal levels) - I think that cities and counties that are under one-party Democratic rule and that effectively have NO GOP opposition (such as locally here in Allegheny County) may reimpose localized restrictions. Fitzgerald's and Bogen's press briefing yesterday didn't inspire much confidence...

Old 07-29-2021, 10:05 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
Im not sure.. the media certainly seems to be setting the stage to prepare us for vaccination mandates, masking mandates, and even seeing lockdowns bandied about.
We're going to see more and more employer mandates regarding vaccinations, but that's not the same thing as government mandates, since employment is at-will (as is going into a bar, attending college, etc..)

To the best of my knowledge LA is the only place which has implemented an indoor mask mandate once again, and we know that's not being enforced. I could see more of those happening on a local level. But even though masking evolved into some sort of tribal signifier in 2020, it's fundamentally harmless.

Lockdowns - absolutely not. They'd be political poison at this point, even in left-leaning areas. Plus the only people who would comply would be those already vaccinated (meaning limited utility).

Old 07-29-2021, 10:07 AM

882 posts, read 335,883 times
Quote:

Spout whatever nonsense you care to spout.

If you're able to get vaccinated, and choose not to, you're a vile selfish moron.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
#1 - Children aren't at risk from COVID.
#2 - The immunocompromised actually existed before COVID. How many of them did you see wearing masks during pre-COVID flu seasons? Did you wear a mask during flu seasons prior to COVID in order to protect the immunocompromised?

Those two arguments don't hold water.
Quote:
You've been brainwashed and are actively spreading misinformation, so you can just go crawl back into your hole.
Quote:
Quote:

If you're able to get vaccinated, and choose not to, you're a vile selfish moron.
Son - we were discussing the points about children not being at risk from COVID and also about immunocompromised individuals existing pre-COVID and that nobody masked during flu seasons to protect them.
You accused me of spreading misinformation.
I shared evidence from sources such as the Cleveland Clinic, the Mayo Clinic, NPR, the CDC, and the New York Times to back my argument that children are not at risk from COVID.

You presented no evidence of your own, you made no note of the evidence I presented, and then you pivoted away from the argument.

If you wanna debate, then debate like someone older than a middle school student by countering factual evidence with factual evidence.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge LA is the only place which has implemented an indoor mask mandate once again, and we know that's not being enforced. I could see more of those happening on a local level. But even though masking evolved into some sort of tribal signifier in 2020, it's fundamentally harmless.
Los Angeles County
City of St Louis
Kansas City
the state of Nevada
Yolo County, California
Miami-Dade County facilities
Provincetown, Mass

https://apnews.com/article/health-co...08488b566a62d7
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mas...inated-indoors

Old 07-29-2021, 10:45 AM

882 posts, read 335,883 times
Quote:
Son - we were discussing the points about children not being at risk from COVID and also about immunocompromised individuals existing pre-COVID and that nobody masked during flu seasons to protect them.
You accused me of spreading misinformation.
I shared evidence from sources such as the Cleveland Clinic, the Mayo Clinic, NPR, the CDC, and the New York Times to back my argument that children are not at risk from COVID.

You presented no evidence of your own, you made no note of the evidence I presented, and then you pivoted away from the argument.

If you wanna debate, then debate like someone older than a middle school student by countering factual evidence with factual evidence.

End of story.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:50 AM

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, Comrade Commissar.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:29 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,284,184 times
Quote:

Source?
last three months case rate per 1,000

https://tableau.alleghenycounty.us/t...tal=y&:embed=y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh