Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 03:32 AM

1,170 posts, read 537,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
I find it funny how this thread took a turn to a COVID discussion. Wth? Lol.
the turn happened here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
Maybe it's quiet because some of the more troll-like members were also anti-vaxx, and they're now among the statistics?
and why shouldn't it take that turn - life has not gotten back to normal yet - you still have to wear a mask on the bus, the salad bar at giant eagle is still closed, the delta variant is in the news daily

less than half the country is fully vaccinated - do you think the biden administration is going accept that when their stated goal was to have 70% of the country fully vaxxed by july 4?

https://vaers.hhs.gov/about.html

"Established in 1990, the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) is a national early warning system to detect possible safety problems in U.S.-licensed vaccines. VAERS is co-managed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)"

"VAERS is not designed to determine if a vaccine caused a health problem, but is especially useful for detecting unusual or unexpected patterns of adverse event reporting that might indicate a possible safety problem with a vaccine. This way, VAERS can provide CDC and FDA with valuable information that additional work and evaluation is necessary to further assess a possible safety concern."

the VAERS data isn't helping their cause - if all the reports are unrelated bullsh*t and making people vaccine hesitant why doesn't HHS take the site down?

this is the most important story of our time, and it ain't going away anytime soon

France will require people to use a 'health passport' to enter a restaurant or attraction this fall

https://news.yahoo.com/france-requir...182905063.html

"French President Emmanuel Macron said on Monday that COVID-19 vaccine passports would soon be required for people to visit nonessential places like restaurants and tourist attractions. Macron said the new policy would start in August"

France makes Covid shot mandatory for health workers

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/12/fran...h-workers.html

"Macron said that a health pass required to attend large-scale events or to go clubbing will be required much more widely, including for restaurants, cinemas and theaters. It will also be required to board long-distance trains and planes from the start of August, giving a further incentive for people to get the shot."

Fauci says vaccines should be mandated at the local level but the federal government will not mandate them

https://news.yahoo.com/fauci-said-va...002217634.html

"Dr. Anthony Fauci said he supported mandates at local institutions like schools and businesses."

i'll go out on a limb and make a prediction - by the end of the year every business in pennsylvania will be required to show proof their employees are fully vaccinated

Last edited by BUILD PENN SQUARE; 07-13-2021 at 03:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 06:43 AM

1,913 posts, read 742,294 times
The story isn't the shot, it's the virus.

Forty years or so ago, I was in my doctor's office with bronchitis. I asked him why there was no vaccine for the common cold. He told me this: one group of viruses that cause the cold are coronaviruses. They successfully made the vaccine, but coronaviruses evolve so fast, the vaccine didn't work by the time it was tested.

I'm afraid we'll be seeing this same thing at work now. When the vaccine was first deployed, it was " 98% effective" at preventing infection. Now the Israelis say it's 60% effective against Delta variant. Only 6 months have passed.

If you're like me, with cancer, this is a disaster. I don't blame anyone for it except the virus. I'm watching Florida and California very closely to see what happens next.

Last edited by Reggiezz; 07-13-2021 at 07:11 AM..

Old 07-13-2021, 07:19 AM

807 posts, read 618,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
The story isn't the shot, it's the virus.

Forty years or so ago, I was in my doctor's office with bronchitis. I asked him why there was no vaccine for the common cold. He told me this: one group of viruses that cause the cold are coronaviruses. They successfully made the vaccine, but coronaviruses evolve so fast, the vaccine didn't work by the time it was tested.

I'm afraid we'll be seeing this same thing at work now. When the vaccine was first deployed, it was " 98% effective" at preventing infection. Now the Israelis say it's 60% effective against Delta variant. Only 6 months have passed.

If you're like me, with cancer, this is a disaster. I don't blame anyone for it except the virus. I'm watching Florida and California very closely to see what happens next.
Reggie -- I'm not sure if your intent was to mislead -- but while Israelis do appear to have reported that the effectiveness of the vaccine in preventing infection and symptomatic disease dropped to 64% (Pfizer disputes this), the same report also said that the "vaccine was 93% effective in preventing hospitalizations and serious illness from the coronavirus." In fact, the high vaccination rates among the Israeli population was key factor in ending social distancing and other restrictions in the country.

Of course, the suggestion (made by BPS) that the government is going to require vaccinations or require the display of vaccination cards) is ludicrous; however, it also seems clear that the coordinated campaign to politicize the vaccine issue has led to a situation whereby millions of Americans who could safely be vaccinated and further reduce the spread and incidence of deaths and serious Covid cases are unwisely choosing to forego the vaccine.

I would argue that it is this politicization of the vaccine issue, not the virus, that presents the most danger to you at the present moment.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:21 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times
So, essentially, while it is still entirely possible to become infected with COVID-19 despite being vaccinated the vaccination itself nearly guarantees that those who do still become infected are less likely to fall severely ill?

Old 07-13-2021, 07:36 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,689,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So, essentially, while it is still entirely possible to become infected with COVID-19 despite being vaccinated the vaccination itself nearly guarantees that those who do still become infected are less likely to fall severely ill?
Yes. Those that haven’t been vaccinated and get it are the ones dying.

99% of the deaths are now the unvaccinated

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...of-covid%3famp

Old 07-13-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So far.

If you are able to apply any logic when you observe the reduced ability to prevent infection, you see where this is going. The seriousness of the implications for me personally put me at full alert.

When 3 of 3 of my adult, vaccinated relatives recently fell ill in Florida, a 60% ability to prevent infection isn't accurate.

If you're young and vaccinated I can see it wouldn't be of concern. As for the unvaccinated, it's 18 to 39 year olds who have the lowest vaccination rates. They don't realize how sick they can get.

Last edited by Reggiezz; 07-13-2021 at 07:51 AM..

Old 07-13-2021, 07:46 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
When 3 of 3 of my adult, vaccinated relatives recently fell ill in Florida, a 60% ability to prevent infection isn't accurate.
If they're all related, there could be genetic factors at work.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:54 AM

807 posts, read 618,200 times
I dunno Reggie, by your logic, I'm concluding that the vaccine is 100% effective, due to the fact that my vaccinated mother up in Ellwood City has been hanging out with my wonderful, yet Trump-loving, anti-Covid vax cousins for weeks, without even being infected!

Old 07-13-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If they're all related, there could be genetic factors at work.
Husband, wife, wife's father.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
I dunno Reggie, by your logic, I'm concluding that the vaccine is 100% effective, due to the fact that my vaccinated mother up in Ellwood City has been hanging out with my wonderful, yet Trump-loving, anti-Covid vax cousins for weeks, without even being infected!
She won't be hanging with them soon. The incautious can get unpleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh