Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:24 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times

Advertisements

I think more doctors should perform abortions. I think it should have about as much social stigma as Lasik surgery. At least until women (re)learn how to give themselves spontaneous abortions like everything else in the animal kingdom.

Sometimes a baby just shouldn't be born. That's why a lot of young get eaten by their mothers in the wild.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:13 PM

374 posts, read 1,285,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshantaeG View Post

Medical Procedure?

You are aware that the doctor who delivers babies everyday performs this procedure also right? I don't believe anyone in the United States are abIe to perforn this procedure that doesn't have their degree in obstetrics. I am against abortion but, if it has to be done it should be the parent’s decision.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:30 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
I have all the faith in the world in Magee Womens Hospital. There is no where else in the world I'd rather see any woman with speical health needs go. Regardless of believes.

But if you are going there for the typical birth, try another hospital. The Birth process is supposed to be a special time and is treated as such. Magee is so used to it that it's just another procedure for them. So unless you have complications related to the pregnancy, go to another place for the Birth as it will seem more important and special and not so atyipical like it is at Magee.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:43 PM

357 posts, read 888,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
But if you are going there for the typical birth, try another hospital. The Birth process is supposed to be a special time and is treated as such. Magee is so used to it that it's just another procedure for them. So unless you have complications related to the pregnancy, go to another place for the Birth as it will seem more important and special and not so atyipical like it is at Magee.
Personally, I don't think the location (Magee) is as important as the composition of the birth team. Get a midwife or a doula, explain to them the kind of birth experience you are looking for, and when the time comes let them deal with managing the Hospital staff (so you can focus on labor).

Old 08-25-2008, 01:54 PM

29 posts, read 116,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post
Personally, I don't think the location (Magee) is as important as the composition of the birth team. Get a midwife or a doula, explain to them the kind of birth experience you are looking for, and when the time comes let them deal with managing the Hospital staff (so you can focus on labor).
I do agree with this. I've personally had a mismanaged birth and a lovely birth, both at Magee. The difference? Different birth teams.

And woe be upon us the day that the leading women's hospital in Pittsburgh WOULD NOT perform abortions.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:43 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaKaren View Post
And woe be upon us the day that the leading women's hospital in Pittsburgh WOULD NOT perform abortions.
I wish I had more than 1 rep point to give.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:02 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
The legalized abortion and crime effect is the controversial theory that legal abortion reduces crime. Proponents of the theory generally argue that "unwanted children" are more likely to become criminals and that an inverse correlation is observed between the availability of abortion and subsequent crime. In particular, it is argued that the legalization of abortion in the United States, largely due to the Supreme Court's decision in Roe v. Wade, has reduced crime in recent years. Opponents generally dispute these statistics, and point to negative effects of abortion on society.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:52 PM

80 posts, read 265,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I'm re opening the thread, but please refrain from personal trips everyone. I understand this is an emotional issue, but at least try to be calm.
Also the way this is going I'm almost certain the thread will be moved to P&oC, discussing abortion in general is not a Pittsburgh specific topic.
Yac.
Thank you. You made the right decision.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
You are aware that the doctor who delivers babies everyday performs this procedure also right? I don't believe anyone in the United States are abIe to perforn this procedure that doesn't have their degree in obstetrics. I am against abortion but, if it has to be done it should be the parent’s decision.
This may sound nitpicky, but there is no such thing as a degree in obstetrics. The degree is in medicine. Legally, an physician can do just about anything that is permitted under the medical practice acts; however, many hospitals require their staff to have certain certifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
The legalized abortion and crime effect is the controversial theory that legal abortion reduces crime. Proponents of the theory generally argue that "unwanted children" are more likely to become criminals and that an inverse correlation is observed between the availability of abortion and subsequent crime. In particular, it is argued that the legalization of abortion in the United States, largely due to the Supreme Court's decision in Roe v. Wade, has reduced crime in recent years. Opponents generally dispute these statistics, and point to negative effects of abortion on society.
Another argument for the above is that abortion reduces child abuse. However, child abuse researchers say that most abused kids are very wanted kids whose parents have unrealistic expectations of them.

Re: Magee-I did my obstetrics clinicals there and I never got the feeling it was just a routine thing. Magee was a leader in the Pittsburgh areas in such areas as rooming-in, which was very controversial in the late 60s. I worked in a small hospital in small town California after I graduated from Pitt, and they were way behind Magee in obstetrics practices (they were also behind LA, but that's a different story).

Old 08-26-2008, 09:44 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Abortion is a legal medical procedure. Having one in a hospital is much safer than having one on a kitchen table.
Exactly! Better off to have it done in a medical facility...It is a surgical procedure and all women are entitled to have it done if they choose. Why not have it done safely? Either they perform them safely in hospitals or they will be treating woman who do the procedure themselves,,,at home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh