Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:28 PM

39 posts, read 54,709 times

Advertisements

i got my tickets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 10:08 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
PA has always been great for craft beer, especially in the eastern part of the state but increasingly in the Pittsburgh region as well. PA is also surrounded by states not too far away that have a lot of great beer that is available (NY, Ohio, IL). The USA as a whole has REALLY stepped it up in the quality of beer they are putting out in the past 15-20 years. We used to be the butt of all jokes in the beer world in this country, with Europe putting out the quality stuff. But now, it's hard not to find a quality and local craft beer in most mid to large cities in this country, and we have arguably surpassed Europe in variety and amount of great beer available in this country. Go to Colorado or Portland and you will find beer that is better than anything you will find in the world. That is a GREAT thing.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
I have traveled all over Europe and while there is tons of amazing beer there I will have to say that the United States has surpassed them in beer quality. There are just so many micros pushing the limits of every single style imaginable. Plus we're finally getting recognition on an international scale of the quality of our craft beers, not just the quality of (terrible) American macros. This is the best country for beer in the world easily, and Pittsburgh has it's own little part to play in that.

With that being said, it's still an uphill battle locally for craft beer acceptance. While the youngsters are embracing it in full force when I'm out and about I still see Miller Lite dominate in bars/tailgating/distributors. Maybe someday we'll be an Asheville/Grand Rapids/San Diego but we still have a ways to go right now.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:28 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I have traveled all over Europe and while there is tons of amazing beer there I will have to say that the United States has surpassed them in beer quality. There are just so many micros pushing the limits of every single style imaginable. Plus we're finally getting recognition on an international scale of the quality of our craft beers, not just the quality of (terrible) American macros. This is the best country for beer in the world easily, and Pittsburgh has it's own little part to play in that.

With that being said, it's still an uphill battle locally for craft beer acceptance. While the youngsters are embracing it in full force when I'm out and about I still see Miller Lite dominate in bars/tailgating/distributors. Maybe someday we'll be an Asheville/Grand Rapids/San Diego but we still have a ways to go right now.
I'd hardly disagree with this, but would put the UK on par in terms of beer quality/divercity, and Germany/Belgium in terms of quality (but much less selction/experimentation from my experience). Interestingly, Australia and New Zealand have caught the micros 'bug' too, and there's some excellent beers popping up from that part of the world too. Canada has some good stuff too, but not in the volume/quality you see south of the border.

So in general, yep, the US microbrewewing industry is incredibly exciting right now. Ooo - I'm going to Portland next month. Must remember to work in between beer sampling

Old 04-01-2014, 10:48 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I'd hardly disagree with this, but would put the UK on par in terms of beer quality/divercity, and Germany/Belgium in terms of quality (but much less selction/experimentation from my experience). Interestingly, Australia and New Zealand have caught the micros 'bug' too, and there's some excellent beers popping up from that part of the world too. Canada has some good stuff too, but not in the volume/quality you see south of the border.

So in general, yep, the US microbrewewing industry is incredibly exciting right now. Ooo - I'm going to Portland next month. Must remember to work in between beer sampling
I'm not so sure I would put the UK on par when it comes to diversity. When I lived in Ireland it was nothing but stout. In England it's bitters and lagers and offshoots of such. The US has done firkins for some time now so that's not really a foreign concept here either. But I will have to agree that they do make some great beer in the UK. Germany and Belgium of course make world class beer but there are many US breweries that make Belgian style beer better than the Belgians.

Canada is stepping their game up too, albeit slowly. Apparently it's tough to get a craft beer business off the ground up there since grains and hops are pricey to import up north. I will have to say though, Bellwoods Brewery in Toronto is one of the best craft breweries I've ever been to.

I have yet to go to Portland but I really want to. I would definitely recommend Asheville, NC as a "Little Portland" that's a much closer option.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:24 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I'm not so sure I would put the UK on par when it comes to diversity. When I lived in Ireland it was nothing but stout. In England it's bitters and lagers and offshoots of such. The US has done firkins for some time now so that's not really a foreign concept here either. But I will have to agree that they do make some great beer in the UK.
Very much agree with this assessment. The UK makes some great beer and has diverse offerings but limited to within a handful of styles.

One big difference the US has over the UK in regards to beer is the pretty high following of craft beer among the younger generation whereas in England, outside of cheap lagers, the more interesting beer consumption is by the older generation. Traditional pubs which I prefer are sadly derisively referred to by many as 'old man pubs'

Old 04-01-2014, 02:17 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
Went to the first Beer Barge event last year and I had a blast. My only complaint was that some of the tables on the mezzanine level were really hard to get to. There were a LOT of people on that boat.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:52 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Went to the first Beer Barge event last year and I had a blast. My only complaint was that some of the tables on the mezzanine level were really hard to get to. There were a LOT of people on that boat.
they could easily do two nights if not more. went last year and had a blast. this year theyre hitching two boats together but its still not enough.

as for uk the eu is hammering small business and id say european may actually be sliding with some notable exceptions like italy (so expensive though). pa is a very brewery friendly state...some of the lowest taxea in the nation...even if the state is still unfriendly to production in general

Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Very much agree with this assessment. The UK makes some great beer and has diverse offerings but limited to within a handful of styles.

One big difference the US has over the UK in regards to beer is the pretty high following of craft beer among the younger generation whereas in England, outside of cheap lagers, the more interesting beer consumption is by the older generation. Traditional pubs which I prefer are sadly derisively referred to by many as 'old man pubs'
I'd argue that the UK has regional nuances that actually represent very different styles of the same named brew, a la west coast and east coast beers here (eg IPAs). But really, who cares, one to debate after a couple of pints

The age thing is an interesting observation. Not been there enough recently to comment, but wouldn't surprise me. Certainly there is serious enthusiasm for craft brewing in the US from all ages. It's a rather fine thing.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:56 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
what do you think of this event?
Furnace Bash | Beer. Food. Music. Art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh