Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Denver is not as sprawlish as Phoenix. While there are new developments where there are 100 houses that all look the same, there are a lot of older little homes on these quiet pleasant neighborhoods. To be honest, I actually prefer the look of the little homes to the big homogenous McMansion monstrosities that litter the landscape of this country. Denver is way better when it comes to walkable areas and cool places to live.

Another thing I noticed is that everybody out there is happy. I think it has to do with the sun. Also, the women are horny. They were throwing themselves at me and I don't even look that good. It's seriously like paradise out there. If only I could win the lottery. I would move there and spend my days snowboarding, drinking Chimay, hiking, and nailing hot chicks.
Funny....I was poking around the Denver boards, and there were guys complaining about women in Denver - and someone was telling them they all need to go to Austin, TX. Funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 11:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Funny....I was poking around the Denver boards, and there were guys complaining about women in Denver - and someone was telling them they all need to go to Austin, TX. Funny.
I guess for some guys the chicks will always seem hotter somewhere else no matter how often they move.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 AM

331 posts, read 672,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
You guys already know:

I'm a 24 year old electrician. Born and raised in Boston Massachusetts. I moved to Phoenix in 2008. AZ has been good to us, but we are looking to get out of here in late 2010. We can't afford to move back home, plus there is not enough work going on.

I visited Denver in October and thought it was great. I just figured I'd give a few other cities a look before making up my mind. Another city of interest is Pittsburgh. Overall I think Denver is the better city of the 2 (never been to Pittsburgh btw, so take that with a grain of salt), but there a couple of advantages Pittsburgh has (for me) over Denver. The cost of living versus what my salary would be in Pittsburgh can't be beat. Also, it's a days drive from home, family, and friends.

I called IBEW local 68 (Denver) today and they told me they have a ton of work in Denver to keep the boys busy for the next 4 or 5 years. If that is true, that is a huge benefit to me as Pittsburgh is starting to slow down a little bit in the work department. Another good thing about Colorado is, my New Hampshire electrical license will reciprocate to Colorado. In other words, I wouldn't have to retest in Colorado, which is a huge plus for me.

One thing that scares me about Pittsburgh is the weather. A lot of people seem to think its pretty dreary. I understand Denver weather is pretty crazy, but it seems like Denver wins hands down vs Pittsburgh. Weather isn't everything, but I'd prefer to see the sun more often than not.

Anyways, I guess it all comes down to affordability. My goal is to rent a nice single family house (for My girl, myself, and our two 20 lb dogs), in a nice area, with a fenced grassy back yard for the dogs, not to far from the city for around $1000 a month. According to my own research, that may be very difficult to achieve in Denver. Pittsburgh on the other hand, it could be done fairly easily..

Where ever we end up, I'm sure we will make the best of it. I guess I'm just looking for someone to sell me one way or the other. Has anyone here ever lived in both cities? Would anyone like to chime in on this matter?

One more thing, another advantage Denver has over Pittsburgh is.... It would be a lot easier and cheaper for us to move to Denver than Pittsburgh.

I'm honestly torn right down the middle. I'm excited at the thought of living in both cities. I'm not quite sure what to do. The good news is, I have some time to think about it!

-Bob

First of all, anyone who thinks that "weather" will make them "happy" is sadly mistaken. Show me a region in America that claims to have perfect weather, and I'll pick it apart in seconds.

The southern Cali coast has the best weather (by most people's standards). Denver, I hope you like the high desert. Sunny and dry is what you'll get there. To me, Denver's weather is boring!

Comparing Pittsburgh to Denver for me is too hard to do. The lifestyles, way of thinking, region etc is just too different. You need to take a trip to both places in order to decide.

You hailing from Boston, I think you'd be "retarted" to pick Denver!
Leaving your place of birth ain't easy, especially when going to a city that's completely different, like Denver is compared to Boston. Pittsburgh is right up your alley if you ask me.

P.S. Throw away all your Patriot jersey's and apparell before moving to Pittsburgh........

Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I guess for some guys the chicks will always seem hotter somewhere else no matter how often they move.
Isn't that the truth!

Old 11-25-2009, 11:27 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:

I just don't get it, whenever I move to a city the hot chicks all leave....

High five for that one...

Old 11-25-2009, 12:18 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokecitytdi View Post
Look around Pittsburgh, we still have born and raised (in Pittsburgh) cab drivers..
maybe that explains why there's only five cabbies in pittsburgh.

many cities they aren't native, Hopes, because natives can get better jobs. cab driving is usually pretty tough, you see all kinds of things, deal with all kids of people, and frequently have to rent your car and medallion while some "native" profits simply by owning it.

any good city is going to be combination of of migrants and natives. too many natives and people get get overly conservative and narrow minded, too many migrants and you can lose a lot of the character. of course, there is no perfect world and different people like different mixes of those things.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Look around Pittsburgh, we still have born and raised (in Pittsburgh) cab drivers..clerks at the 7-11, and workers at the restaurants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
many cities they aren't native, Hopes, because natives can get better jobs. cab driving is usually pretty tough, you see all kinds of things, deal with all kids of people, and frequently have to rent your car and medallion while some "native" profits simply by owning it.
You edited out the quote to exclude 7-11 clerks and restaurant workers. I'll agree that cabs jobs are a bum deal, but 7-11 clerks are usually the owners. Our restaurants often pay higher for kitchen staff than other areas of the country (taking cost of living into account) because we don't have an immigrant population.

When you have a local popualtion that is willing to do a job, there is no need for an immigrant population. You only need an immigrant population when there are jobs that the locals are no longer willing to do. That's happening more in the landscaping and construction trades than the retail and restaurant industry here.

It's not that these are terrible jobs----they just become degraded due to immigrant populations reducing earnings.

Quote:
....any good city is going to be combination of of migrants and natives. too many natives and people get get overly conservative and narrow minded, too many migrants and you can lose a lot of the character. of course, there is no perfect world and different people like different mixes of those things.
We have an educated immigrant population.

As for uneducated immigrants, I disagree with you. If the local population is willing to do the work, there is no need for unskilled immigrants.

You say that they do it because there isn't a better paying job, but many of these jobs are paying as well as manufacturing in many other places.

It's disgusting how little money Goodyear pays people to work in their factories down South.

They are covered and breathing black soot, the temperatures are over 100 degrees, and they rarely get to sit for a moment.

If I were uneducated, I'd much prefer to work in a restaurant kitchen than manufacture tires for the same amount of money.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Seriously, the 7-11 owners work 24/7? I'd like to see some documentation that restaurant workers make more in Pgh. Never heard that before.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:31 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
You edited out the quote to exclude 7-11 clerks and restaurant workers. I'll agree that cabs jobs are a bum deal, but 7-11 clerks are usually the owners. Our restaurants often pay higher for kitchen staff than other areas of the country (taking cost of living into account) because we don't have an immigrant population.

When you have a local popualtion that is willing to do a job, there is no need for an immigrant population. You only need an immigrant population when there are jobs that the locals are no longer willing to do. That's happening more in the landscaping and construction trades than the retail and restaurant industry here.

It's not that these are terrible jobs----they just become degraded due to immigrant populations reducing earnings.

We have an educated immigrant population.

As for uneducated immigrants, I disagree with you. If the local population is willing to do the work, there is no need for unskilled immigrants.

You say that they do it because there isn't a better paying job, but many of these jobs are paying as well as manufacturing in many other places.

It's disgusting how little money Goodyear pays people to work in their factories down South.

They are covered and breathing black soot, the temperatures are over 100 degrees, and they rarely get to sit for a moment.

If I were uneducated, I'd much prefer to work in a restaurant kitchen than manufacture tires for the same amount of money.

The people who whine about Pittsburgh not being "diverse" enough (ALWAYS talking about race) are the same people who would be complaining about "the Mexicans" were they to start moving here in any numbers. It's the height of nitpicking to complain about the racial makeup of any city. Of course, let somebody suggest that Atlanta is "too black" and see what happens.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:33 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
that's partly because I wanted to complain about the lack of cabs in pittsburgh. 7-11 owners frequently work in their stores, it's a relatively franchisee friendly company. same with DnD. just because someone isn't borin in America or isn't white doesn't mean they don't own their business. thse types of businesses are populat with immigrants because they are " plug and play" and don't require extensive cultural knowledge and marketing. also, with regards to restaurant workers, the sad fact is, in a lot of places, the immigrants work a lot harder and are more reliable. I'd venture so ay cooking and waiting tables is pretty competitive in, say, philly (the highest tipping city in the country) with pittsburgh but I don't know.

Quote:
that's usually how it starts, if there are jobs to be had, there will be more immigrants. undereducated, unskilled immigrants frequently take dishwashing jobs since they don't require the need to communicate much or much skill.

Quote:
I have to disagree. no one wants to grow up to be a dishwasher. they are low value because they are low skill. construction still pays pretty well as does landscaping.

Quote:

variety is the spice of life

Quote:
You say that they do it because there isn't a better paying job, but many of these jobs are paying as well as manufacturing in many other places. It's disgusting how little money Goodyear pays people to work in their factories down South.
wages in the south have been lower since forever, it has nothing to do with immigrants. there aren't unions, cost of living is lower, and taxes are lower. there used to be a lot less jobs.

Quote:

me too. in fact, some people that have been laid off from good paying manufacturing jobs have been happier with less money in offices or other lowwer paying jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh