Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 03:12 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

Having a standard passing procedure is a basic safety rule. Everyone should do their part to uphold that procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 03:25 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
It's legal:

Quote:
§ 3304. Overtaking vehicle on the right.
(a) General rule.--The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under one of the following conditions:
(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn, except that such movement shall not be made by driving off the berm or shoulder of the highway.
(2) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaken vehicle, except that such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.
(b) Limitation.--No passing movement under this section shall be made unless the movement can be made in safety.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:29 PM

870 posts, read 1,570,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Maybe the crazy women was in labor. Maybe the road rage has to do with the economy.

I can't say those things are the norm where I live---certainly not a daily basis thing.

I notice you live in Washington County. Perhaps it's all the snobs from Upper St. Clair who jumped the border for lower taxes.
This woman was probably in her 50's but yeah I guess people are little more frustrated these days.

When I turned into my driveway, I noticed she turn off at the next street. She might have been late for dinner or something, who knows?

I've heard old timers complain about the "city people" moving in and causing the bad driving. Who knows but I just liked to get to my destination without being bullied. Oh well, just ignore them!! It helped ranting on here though. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
It helped ranting on here though.
We always enjoy a good rant here!

Old 01-10-2010, 05:00 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
How much faster than my 65-70 do you want to go in a 55 zone with traffic?
Dude, this isn't rocket science... You don't need to drive faster... if you're in the left lane and a faster driver approaches from behind... move over??? That's what I do

And finally, I'll repeat the first sentence of my last post...

"...I think breaking the law such that you disrupt the normal flow of traffic while endangering every one else is much worse than simple speeding..."

The problem is when one purposefully impedes others.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:29 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Quote:
And finally, I'll repeat the first sentence of my last post...

"...I think breaking the law such that you disrupt the normal flow of traffic while endangering every one else is much worse than simple speeding..."
Obviously you fail to discern that there may be a difference between "simple speeding" and speeds more dangerous, and tailgating at such speeds, and the similarity between going substantially more slowly than the pace of traffic and going substantially faster than the pace of traffic, and the dangers inherent in that, or perhaps it doesn't serve your purpose to acknowledge that difference. Whatever.

Anyway, since you decline to answer the direct question of how fast you want to go, I'll have to put it in perspective using my own suppositions.

If you happen to get behind my breathtakingly arrogant, outlaw self, cruising down the Parkway West toward town, at an even-more-irritating-than-usual 60 mph, and you desire to go 80 mph (cause you said you haven't gone 83 since you were in your twenties), and if you were forced to follow me for the whole 15 miles I mentioned earlier as the sort of distance from town where I'd expect the kind of traffic that makes this discussion relevant... let me see....

<Ditchdigger scratches head. Gets out the calculator, and starts cruching numbers....>

Holy Gee! For 15 miles the difference between 60 mph and 80 mph would cost you all of 3 minutes and 45 seconds!!

I am sooo sorry.

If I knew I were going to have such a profound impact on your schedule, I'd never have considered not pulling all the way over to the shoulder to get out of your way. Please forgive me, and if you ever find yourself behind me, feel free to stick your head out the window and yell, "Ditchdigger! Get the %$*# out of the way!" Also, you may flip me off as you pass. I deserve it.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
Holy Gee! For 15 miles the difference between 60 mph and 80 mph would cost you all of 3 minutes and 45 seconds!!

I am sooo sorry.

Thank you. You are going to risk your life and others over a few minutes because you think that your life is more important than others and you have to pick up your little precious at day care or whatever. We all have places to go. Trying to get there by being unsafe may lead to getting there later rather than sooner or not at all if ones decides to be unsafe by speeding, tailgating etc. Another pet peeve of mine are weavers. They are hardly dream weavers. You know, those idiots always getting on someone's tail, looking for an opening in heavy, but moving traffic, not using turn signals while switching lanes. It is called self centeredness and these people need to be put in their place. That place may not necessarily be the cemetary, although that will come soon enough for them. One time, traffic was at a stand still coming back from Latrobe on the PA Turnpike. Some arrogant guy in a BMW decides to ride the right shoulder because after all, he had a Beemer, he wasn't waiting behind the yinzers coming back from Steelers training camp. An 18 wheeler in the right lane spots him the whole way and just at the right moment cuts his wheel far right and runs this guy off the road down into a muddy ditch. Everybody loved it and honked their horns. The guy in The BMW and his wife?girlfriend? got out and and started flipping off the rig. It was great, and justified.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 01-10-2010 at 06:36 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 04:37 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Everybody please calm down
Yac.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 AM

780 posts, read 1,385,198 times
I do ride the left lane on some of the interstates and certain sections of the turnpike due to the actual roadway. The right lane gets grooved, rutted and beat up a lot quicker than the left lane and if anyone drives I-79 a lot, especially north of Mercer, you know what I am talking about. Some of that may be fixed now with all the road work but it used to be really bad, especially around Meadville. I would move over if someone would move up on me but I would still ride the left lane after they passed.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Please people! When driving in wintry conditions, allow extra space between cars and slow down!

Today when coming home work, I was navigating my normal route in a careful fashion and this crazy woman comes up real close to my rear and starts flashing her lights! I couldn't go anywhere because it was a rural road with no shoulders and it was only one lane in each direction.

I face this almost on a daily basis, even in good weather, minus the flashing of the lights part. I am not a slow driver either.

What's going in southwestern PA? I see more aggressive and rude driving than I used to. Generally this region of the country is not known for aggressive driving, but lately I've witnessed a good bit. There was a even a road rage incident in Connellsville a few days ago.
Probably new people that have moved in from other areas of the country. Kansas City is really bad in that regard. I see more bad driving habits such as those you've described plus several others in the KC area than in any others that I've driven. I've driven in nearly 40 states and every Province in Canada except New Foundland! Your area still has a ways to go before it gets as bad as KC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh