Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:47 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
White people have problems too. Let's not pretend that they can be over-weight, commit crimes, and live in unkempt trailer parks.
Hispanics are always horny, eat tacos like no tomorrow, drink till they pass out, and throw the used toilet paper in the trash instead of flushing it down.

Arabs are always angry, have arsenals of assault weapons under their mattresses, and wear turbans.

So where are you trying to go with that? You're one of those anti-white people, aren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 04:08 PM

93,396 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is so true. I'm white, and I have been working for years alongside a lot of Black people who have college degrees, mostly own their own homes, are concerned about their kids' education and activities and involved in their schools and communities. Some of them have such wild hobbies as fishing and bowling. These are not "Uncle Toms". Every last one of them is proud of their heritage and concerned with issues that affect Black people. I never see any news cameras following these people around and asking them what they think.
Exactly and people need to put his words into proper perspective. It wasn't like he was talking about Black kids in general and I think that was a part of the issue with his words.

Also, it was around a time when he had his own issues to deal with. So, that also could be why some were a bit annoyed by his words. In a sense, it made him look like a hypocrite or that he needed to get the plank out of his eye, instead of pointing the beam in the eyes of others.

Then, it also made it seem like every kid in the hood is up to no good and didn't give room to the kid in the hood that is getting good grades, going to college and actually getting admiration from peers within his or her community. I think this gets overlooked or overblown in terms of Black kids getting picked on for getting good grades or doing well in school(i.e.-acting "White"). There are plenty of positive examples within Black communities of various economic means that get overlooked or doesn't get the press like "drama filled", for lack of better terms, aspects of race/culture.

I will say that I agree with quite bit of what he said, but again it is a matter of looking at the bigger picture, instead of bits and pieces here and there.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Then maybe Sharpton and jackson should keep there mouths shut. I think we would all be better off.
Or maybe people need to do their research and put thing into proper perspective. Did even president before this one speak for all White people in the US? I don't think so. See how easy that is.....

Old 06-12-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Not much we can do about that. We didn't elect them or anything, they're just the most vocal. You guys aren't that stupid.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Hispanics are always horny, eat tacos like no tomorrow, drink till they pass out, and throw the used toilet paper in the trash instead of flushing it down.

Arabs are always angry, have arsenals of assault weapons under their mattresses, and wear turbans.

So where are you trying to go with that? You're one of those anti-white people, aren't you?
Where did that come from?

Old 06-12-2010, 04:20 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times
Quote:
Cosby's comments, made during an appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition's annual conference, ratcheted up a soul-searching debate among African Americans that began in mid-May when Cosby leveled similar criticism at blacks during an appearance in Washington.
The main problem I had with Cosby back then was that he was giving these speeches to the wrong Blacks. The middle class Black folks who were at these Rainbow/Push conferences and at Spelman college aren't the Blacks who are in crisis but they are part of the solution.

Cosby should have been giving these speeches at prisons and juvenile institutions directly to the Blacks who need to hear his message. Those middle class Blacks could help by using their education to become entreprenurs and starting more businesses helping to reduce the Black unemployment and under employment rate that's at the root of these problems in the ghetto.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Yes. Be part of the solution. We know darn well that most people want to make something of themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

Cosby should have been giving these speeches at prisons and juvenile institutions directly to the Blacks who need to hear his message. Those middle class Blacks could help by using that education to become entreprenurs and starting more businesses helping to reduce the Black unemployement and under employment rate that's at the root of these problems in the ghetto.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
The main problem I had with Cosby back then was that he was giving these speeches to the wrong Blacks. The middle class Black folks who were at these Rainbow/Push conferences and at Spelman college aren't the Blacks who are in crisis but they are part of the solution.

Cosby should have been giving these speeches at prisons and juvenile institutions directly to the Blacks who need to hear his message. Those middle class Blacks could help by using that education to become entreprenurs and starting more businesses helping to reduce the Black unemployement and under employment rate that's at the root of these problems in the ghetto.
Actually, I agree and disagree with what you said in this sense. I agree that he was speaking to the wrong Black folks in terms of the behavior that he was disturbed by that occurs within some poorer Black communities done by some that live there. What I disagree with is that middle class Black folks need to go back and give their time, energy and support in terms of talking to young kids or being an example outside of say church. I think that is another thing that has to be addressed and is why I feel that in some way, he is talking to the right Black folks.

If you look at the speech here: American Rhetoric: Bill Cosby - Address at the NAACP's Commemoration of the 50th of Brown v. Board of Education

He actually talks about Christians that don't stretch their outlook outside of the 4 walls of the church building. That is the one institution which brings together Blacks of various economic, educational and familiar backgrounds together and should be able to have an outreach that goes beyond the building. Like Proverbs 4:7 says and I'll paraphrase, "In all thy getting, get understanding". Meaning, while we "make it", we should understand that there are others still in the struggle in society. So, people should keep that in mind and stretch themselves a bit, especially considering the margin for error is small for Black folks. I'm not even talking about money, but time can be a valuable resource that we tend to waste too much of. so, in a sense, he is talking to the "right" black folks in that regard and that is mentioned in one of the speeches. It is interesting how only so much is mentioned of what he said in the first place.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:33 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where did that come from?
From his posts? He had to reassure he's not black twice. What do I care about what his color is?

Most anti-white white people I've seen love to spew that crap.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:38 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times
As far as what Cosby was saying about bad parenting. We have to keep in mind that these parents in the hood are largely teen parents. You won't get much mature parenting from these parents who are just kids or were kids when they started having babies.

I think we need to focus on reducing teen pregnancies in the ghetto. If the majority of girls were to have their first kids in their 20's this alone will change these areas for the better. Fewer girls would be dropping out of school because of the baby which leads to lower paying jobs and more child poverty for the kids and maybe more of them will be getting married in their 20's as first time parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies