Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:36 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, I agree and disagree with what you said in this sense. I agree that he was speaking to the wrong Black folks in terms of the behavior that he was disturbed by that occurs within some poorer Black communities done by some that live there. What I disagree with is that middle class Black folks need to go back and give their time, energy and support in terms of talking to young kids or being an example outside of say church. I think that is another thing that has to be addressed and is why I feel that in some way, he is talking to the right Black folks.

If you look at the speech here: American Rhetoric: Bill Cosby - Address at the NAACP's Commemoration of the 50th of Brown v. Board of Education

He actually talks about Christians that don't stretch their outlook outside of the 4 walls of the church building. That is the one institution which brings together Blacks of various economic, educational and familiar backgrounds together and should be able to have an outreach that goes beyond the building. Like Proverbs 4:7 says and I'll paraphrase, "In all thy getting, get understanding". Meaning, while we "make it", we should understand that there are others still in the struggle in society. So, people should keep that in mind and stretch themselves a bit, especially considering the margin for error is small for Black folks. I'm not even talking about money, but time can be a valuable resource that we tend to waste too much of. so, in a sense, he is talking to the "right" black folks in that regard and that is mentioned in one of the speeches. It is interesting how only so much is mentioned of what he said in the first place.
I agree with what Bill say's in particular the part about speaking English. How in gods name do you understand what their saying. I stopped at the local bar on a sun night and everyone except a few were black. I could not for the life of me understand one word, with the exception of the N word with an A on the end, which was every other word. Is it any wonder the underclass blacks have their own culture? Honestly, it was like being in another country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Quote:

Race relations in America would be so much better if White people did not constantly sift the Black population out as a separate segment with a monolithic point of view.

Why?, the segments that are sorted out by white folks, are the segments that are an issue, such as the underclass black community and whites are pointing it out because it is a major problem for them.

Quote:

Saying that Al Sharpton or Louis Farrakhan speak for each and every Black person in America is hust as ridiculous as stating that David Duke or Sarah Palin speaks for every White person in America. Yet some (White) people continue to quote the words of "The Leaders of The Blacks" as if its gospel.
It is the black people that support their diatribe that concerns many white folks, they actually to some extent are responsible for helping to keep racism alive.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:38 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'll agree with your post when you explain why is there a Congressional Black Caucus, Black Entertainment Television, Black Miss America, and black people magazines like Jet and Ebony.

Those were created during a time when we weren't honestly getting any fair play in the media. They mostly exist now just for traditional purposes. You don't even watch them, so what does it matter to you?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Ranchers along the border with Mexico and white farmers in Africa would disagree with you.
I don't feel overly sorry for white farmers in Africa. In South Africa for instance they still own 87% of the land, while blacks and colored people make up about the same percentage of the population. As long as there is no fair land reform ending that ridiculous situation, there will be violence against white farmers. There was a documentary on that on TV recently, some of those Boers ran around like Nazis, complete with batches similar to the Nazi symbol around their upper arms.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:48 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I agree with what Bill say's in particular the part about speaking English. How in gods name do you understand what their saying. I stopped at the local bar on a sun night and everyone except a few were black. I could not for the life of me understand one word, with the exception of the N word with an A on the end, which was every other word. Is it any wonder the underclass blacks have their own culture? Honestly, it was like being in another country.
People often speak differently depending on the environment that they are in. If you go into a majority hispanic bar you will likely hear a lot of people talking in spanish. However, if you see the same people in a different setting, speaking to people who are not hispanic, they speak English. Hence, just because you talk one way does not mean that you don't know how to talk another way.

People are making some very flawed conclusions from their observations. Just because you see a youth, for example, with their pants sagging, dew rag and other forms of dress, talking slang and ebonics, does NOT mean that they do not know how to transition their dress and language for a different environment....like a job interview. I grew up in the ghetto or whatever term you prefer and now exist in suburbia and work with educated people. I know how to transition. Hell, I type many opinion on forums where my spelling and english is terrible. However, NEVER, on my job will I forward anytype of communication without making sure that it is grammatically flawless. The point is that one cannot assume that the way they see a person presenting themselves is the ONLY way they know how to present themselves. Again, in my opinion, such assumption are predicated on this notion of black inferiority.

Black people are not given the benefit of the doubt of being "dynamic". We are seen as "static" which is born from the belief that we lack the capacity to be "dynamic". Hence, when a person goes into a black bar and observe people talking in ebonic, slang and using the "N" word, if they believe in the fundemental inferiority of black people they will assume that this is the ONLY way these people know how to communicate. Really the ignorant is the person making the assumption. It may be true that it is the only way that some of them know how to communicate, but many, if not most others, can transition into another level of communication depending on the environment.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:06 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Those were created during a time when we weren't honestly getting any fair play in the media. They mostly exist now just for traditional purposes. You don't even watch them, so what does it matter to you?
Even more than that its an issue of being a mathematical minority these days. Most of what gets done or chosen in America happens as a result of majority rule. Hence, if there is a minority that often disagrees or have a different opinion than the majority, the minority will never get to have things done their way because they will lose out to the "majorities" interest.

When you watch TV that is an advertisement driven industry. Advertisers generally target the biggest and most luctrative demographic, which is White Americans. Thus, programming, especially prime time programming, is geared towards white America. The same is true for national politics. It makes mathematical sense to target the majority and when the majority happens to have a disproportionately high percent of the income and wealth, the targeting gets to be even more skewed.

In light of that, I argue that there is a continued need to have programming, orginizations and events where groups that are drowned out by majority rule can have their interest represented. For example, if there were only one radio station in town and all they played was rythm and blues because the majority of people in that town liked R&B, How will the country music fan get to listen to the type of music he likes. The only station my through in just one or two country songs a day.....but that is hardly satiisfying to the country music fan. Thus......if there is enough people they will try to get a station that plays country music to satisfy their tastes.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Even more than that its an issue of being a mathematical minority these days. Most of what gets done or chosen in America happens as a result of majority rule. Hence, if there is a minority that often disagrees or have a different opinion than the majority, the minority will never get to have things done their way because they will lose out to the "majorities" interest.

When you watch TV that is an advertisement driven industry. Advertisers generally target the biggest and most luctrative demographic, which is White Americans. Thus, programming, especially prime time programming, is geared towards white America. The same is true for national politics. It makes mathematical sense to target the majority and when the majority happens to have a disproportionately high percent of the income and wealth, the targeting gets to be even more skewed.

In light of that, I argue that there is a continued need to have programming, orginizations and events where groups that are drowned out by majority rule can have their interest represented. For example, if there were only one radio station in town and all they played was rythm and blues because the majority of people in that town liked R&B, How will the country music fan get to listen to the type of music he likes. The only station my through in just one or two country songs a day.....but that is hardly satiisfying to the country music fan. Thus......if there is enough people they will try to get a station that plays country music to satisfy their tastes.
Here we also get to see a lot of American movies and series, and I often wonder where all the blacks and Hispanics are in them, mostly the protagonists are still the average WASPs or Jews. A couple of days ago I noticed how unusual that actually is when they showed the movie Idlewild, which featured only black actors.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:27 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,297 times
Well, I'll tell everyone how to properly view the original post, and the thread in general. Then we can close the thread except for those who want to view it (especially this very post) for future reference.

First, this remark by Bill Cosby was six years ago. So this isn't new stuff. But okay, we'll let that slide for now.

The lead post is an example of a white guy throwing a dart at the black community. I'm not saying that Bill Cosby might not make a few points, but that was not the object of the original post. There's a number of things that lead me to this conclusion. First, it's delving into the past for anti black material. Second, the OP announces in the thread title that Cosby was on-the-money with his criticism. No buts about it, or so he insists. But I think ther biggest piece of evidence was the term "his own" in reference to black people. That sounds like a term lifted from the Stormfront website. It certainly doesn't evoke racial compasion or brotherhood.

Okay, having said all of that, there will be a number of posters who will take up the challenge and fight back. They will be fighting back because a white guy (OP) threw down the gauntlet and they can't let whitey get away with that. So off we will go again on a white folks vs black folks thread. You will know the thread is losing steam when the argument finally gets to "the color of Jesus" or "who built the Pyramids". At that point the thread will be down to perhaps two debating posters.

Anyhow, the thread demonstrates why when discussing race relations, some experts suggest that the participants be selected in advance, selected for a variety of views, conceptual thinking, and decorum.

Okay, now we can close the thread.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, I'll tell everyone how to properly view the original post, and the thread in general. Then we can close the thread except for those who want to view it (especially this very post) for future reference.

First, this remark by Bill Cosby was six years ago. So this isn't new stuff. But okay, we'll let that slide for now.

The lead post is an example of a white guy throwing a dart at the black community. I'm not saying that Bill Cosby might not make a few points, but that was not the object of the original post. There's a number of things that lead me to this conclusion. First, it's delving into the past for anti black material. Second, the OP announces in the thread title that Cosby was on-the-money with his criticism. No buts about it, or so he insists. But I think ther biggest piece of evidence was the term "his own" in reference to black people. That sounds like a term lifted from the Stormfront website. It certainly doesn't evoke racial compasion or brotherhood.

Okay, having said all of that, there will be a number of posters who will take up the challenge and fight back. They will be fighting back because a white guy (OP) threw down the gauntlet and they can't let whitey get away with that. So off we will go again on a white folks vs black folks thread. You will know the thread is losing steam when the argument finally gets to "the color of Jesus" or "who built the Pyramids". At that point the thread will be down to perhaps two debating posters.

Anyhow, the thread demonstrates why when discussing race relations, some experts suggest that the participants be selected in advance, selected for a variety of views, conceptual thinking, and decorum.

Okay, now we can close the thread.

I would think calling him Bill Crosby alone would be enough to debunk any validity, but this works too.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:39 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
I'll agree with your post when you explain why is there a Congressional Black Caucus, Black Entertainment Television, Black Miss America, and black people magazines like Jet and Ebony.
Why is there a Congressional Black Caucus, Black Entertainment Television, Black Miss America, and black people magazines like Jet and Ebony?

For the same reason that there is:
Congressional Hispanic Caucus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Telemundo
Univison
Latina magazine
The Asian Television Network
Namaste America (South Asian TV Network
LA18 (the largest Asian language TV network in America)
cosmohispano (Cosmopolitan magazine in Spanish)
Asiana magazine
MALDEF
National Council of La Raza
Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund
Asian Pacific American Network
Nuestra Belleza Latina (the Our Latina Beauty pageant)
El Principe Azul (Prince Charming - Latin version of "The Bachelor")
Latin Girl (magazine for teenage Latinas)
Hispanic (a magazine about Latino movers and shakers in America)
Latina Style magazine
Jade magazine (style and fashion for Asian women)
AsianWeek (like Newsweek or Time magazine)

and on and on......

Yet somehow, its only a problem when Black Americans have anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies