Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 AM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I am Black and most Black people I know agree with Bill Cosby.

Why is it necessary for non-Blacks to take the few criticisms against what Bill Cosby is saying as the opinion of the whole?

ETA: This reminds me of something that the media tends to do. Whenever they want to get the "Black perspective" of anything, they always go down to the projects as if the residents of the housing projects speak for all facets of Black America.
This is so true. I'm white, and I have been working for years alongside a lot of Black people who have college degrees, mostly own their own homes, are concerned about their kids' education and activities and involved in their schools and communities. Some of them have such wild hobbies as fishing and bowling. These are not "Uncle Toms". Every last one of them is proud of their heritage and concerned with issues that affect Black people. I never see any news cameras following these people around and asking them what they think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 10:38 AM

218 posts, read 239,600 times
Libs have been calling him racist for years.

I lived in Northampton and Western MA for years.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:25 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is so true. I'm white, and I have been working for years alongside a lot of Black people who have college degrees, mostly own their own homes, are concerned about their kids' education and activities and involved in their schools and communities. Some of them have such wild hobbies as fishing and bowling. These are not "Uncle Toms". Every last one of them is proud of their heritage and concerned with issues that affect Black people. I never see any news cameras following these people around and asking them what they think.

Neither do I.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Moor View Post
Libs have been calling him racist for years.

I lived in Northampton and Western MA for years.

yeah? Who? Who called Bill Cosby racists? Who is he racists against?

Old 06-12-2010, 01:03 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
who the heck is Bill Crosby? Did you mean Bing Crosby...lol

Old 06-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Why is this guy so often criticized by his own?

YouTube - Tim Wise on How White America Talks About Race

Old 06-12-2010, 01:54 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
You see, the modern Black Man is like a Jello pudding pop. Full of promise and great expectation. However, full of empty calories. Only when the shackles of their New Slave Masters have been broken will the Black Man truly be free.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:58 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
You see, the modern Black Man is like a Jello pudding pop. Full of promise and great expectation. However, full of empty calories. Only when the shackles of their New Slave Masters have been broken will the Black Man truly be free.
You're referring to the Democratic party , right ?

Old 06-12-2010, 02:14 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,506,565 times
I'm not sure who "Bill Crosby" is but I'm black and agree with the position taken by Bill Cosby in regards to personal responsibility. Some prominent blacks like Michael Dyson disagree with Cosby because he omits the deep seeded histrionics of why some blacks are in the position they are in. Slavery, segregation, civil rights all play a role in it, like it or not.

Blaming somebody for whatever is very American. People are blaming Obama for not personally slurping up the all the oil and crying on the shoulder of everybody in Tennessee recently etc. It's what we do in America, blacks included. Americans can never be personally wrong or fail at anything. This dynamic plays out everyday in American politics. Republicans pretend like they had nothing to do with the financial collapse and Dems pretend like they didn't vote for the Iraq war etc. Nobody ever wants to accept personal responsibility when a decision/choice they make is wrong. Finger pointing is as American as apple pie or jello pudding.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Unfortunately in the US the MSM seems to always want to focus on the most NEGATIVE when it comes to black people. The images we all see of Africa are Negative....but there is plenty positive in Africa. A little Africa in America is Detroit. All you see of Detroit is the Negative...the decay...the crime....but as noted in this vid...there is a whole big missing piece of Detroit that the MSM NEVER focuses on....like this community. There are dozens of such communities in Detroit but all anyone gets to see is the blight....which is typical when people want to focus on things black in America. Welcome to the REAL DETROIT,

YouTube - A Driving Tour of Detroit: Upscale Indian Village
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies