Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 10:07 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Please give a link to what you are basing your assessment of the situatuion and how it unfolded upon. Obama has been destroying BOP's stock? I beg to differ...BP destroyed BP's stock, along with an entire coastal region of these United States.

Please know that it is very clear that you are repeating rhetoric. Why is it bothering you that this was handled expediently rather than thru costly and time consuming litigation? Why is bothering you that victims will not have to suffer longer than necessary. Why are you and Senator Barton on the same side? Barton is in BP's pocket so he was licking butt...what is your bizarre reason?
So, stating my opinion is considered rhetoric? Just because you disagree with me on a personal level does not mean I'm a shill.

You and i both agree that BP is 100% responsible for the oil spilling into the Gulf. We both agree that BP must pay all compensation for cleaning, containing and the economic costs of this spill.

What we disagree with is the process, on whether it is okay that our president to be acting like a thug, with his boot on BPs neck and looking around for asses to kick. We also disagree on whether our government has been doing all it can do, or is it being totally incompetent. I will not hold my breath to hear you be critical of 0bama... so who is the shill now?

Quote:
If you are so indignant about this non issue of how BP will pay fo their massive destructive and negligent disaster, please show me how indignant you were when we paid thru the teeth with many lives and taxpayer's money for an illegal war waged in Iraq based on lies. Show me that and then you can continue to spew and regurgitate rhetoric coming from right wing talking heads. Really, show me.
The war was not illegal, in the sense that we were still at war with Iraq since Desert Storm, and Bush received authorization by congress, twice, to invade Iraq.

As to the lies, the ten years of crap intel, and the made up assumptions about WMDs, yes I'm indignant.

Quote:
Do you know what BP's unprecedented profits were? Do you know that they spent nothing on fail safe technolnogy? They deserve to be waterboared in crude oil and then hung and you want them treated with kid gloves and respect.
I repeat, we are not a nation of thugs, we are a nation of laws. How can we expect a measure of safety if our regulations do not even require proper testing of those blow out preventers, or conduct the required inspections.

This accident has shown us that our federal regulations need a better approach to ensure the safety devices that are mandate are in fact tested. We also need safety inspections that are actually designed to ensure safety and that they are actually being performed.

We also need to be certain that our regulators and inspectors do not have a conflict of interest, so that they are not putting the interests of the oil companies over their job as regulators.

Quote:
Stop insulting the intelligence of people that know where you are getting your talking points from!
Well, Sherlock, why don't you tell everyone where i get my opinions from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 10:12 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Let me guess, Obama should have pleaded and begged BP to cover the costs, instead of asking it to?
Well, maybe instead of threatening and coercing, he could have just sat down with BP in the first weeks, without preconditions, the way he's willing to chat with our enemies.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:27 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Well, maybe instead of threatening and coercing, he could have just sat down with BP in the first weeks, without preconditions, the way he's willing to chat with our enemies.
I agree. I think all GOP candidates should get behind Barton, and make that the central issue of their election bids. We all know that we can trust big business to do what is right, don't we?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
OK, but I do need a link before I think your doing anything other than talking out your ass.

If BP's stock values are falling, it's because BP massively failed at doing it's job.
Agreed. But our president's endless rant about BP will have a detrimental affect, to suggest otherwise is to ignore reality.

Our president has a lot of power, just by virtue of the office he holds, and with all this power goes a responsibility to not abuse it.

Wouldn't you agree that if the president were to talk up and praise a specific company, he will influence a lot of people and that company's sales and stock would go up? The same goes for the reverse, its only common sense.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I agree. I think all GOP candidates should get behind Barton, and make that the central issue of their election bids. We all know that we can trust big business to do what is right, don't we?
Exactly, the way we can trust Ahmadinejad.

Or Obama, for that matter.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Agreed. But our president's endless rant about BP will have a detrimental affect, to suggest otherwise is to ignore reality.

Our president has a lot of power, just by virtue of the office he holds, and with all this power goes a responsibility to not abuse it.

Wouldn't you agree that if the president were to talk up and praise a specific company, he will influence a lot of people and that company's sales and stock would go up? The same goes for the reverse, its only common sense.
Consider how many Americans have BP in their retirement funds...if they're unionized, and their funds fail, taxpayers will bail them out. If you're not a union member, and your pension fund fails, sorry...

Old 06-18-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
...and if our laws and regulations are so poorly written, that BP could drag its feet and slow their compensations to a crawl, then we will need to amend them. We should hold those people who wrote the legislation or regulations accountable, but we never hold our legislators feet to the fire. Senator or congressman, probably the only jobs in America where nothing they do wrong will ever come back to haunt them, its like a license to be a complete and utter **** up.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I heard Barton state BP was at fault, all he objected to was the thuggish behavior by 0bama, and that is what has your panties in a bunch - he dared to be critical of government.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:44 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
1. Agreed. But our president's endless rant about BP will have a detrimental affect, to suggest otherwise is to ignore reality.

2. Wouldn't you agree that if the president were to talk up and praise a specific company, he will influence a lot of people and that company's sales and stock would go up? The same goes for the reverse, its only common sense.
1. I disagree with this. Obama gave BP a great PR opportunity. Now that BP has readily agreed to the escrow account, it can make the argument that it always intended to pay and that it is a trustworthy, honorable company (even though they really aren't). This is a WIN for BP, and will likely help their bottom line, whereas if they had not agreed to the escrow account, they would have been in a huge mess.

2. This might be true, in theory. On the other hand, there are so many people who bend over backwards looking for things to despise about the man, his praise of a company wold likely cause a huge boycott.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:49 AM

A quick 5 minute Google search for what the United Kingdom thinks about 0bama's inflaming the issue and bad mouthing BP.

UK industry expressed alarm yesterday at the “inappropriate” and increasingly aggressive rhetoric being deployed against BP by Barack Obama, US president, and warned that the attacks on the oil company could damage transatlantic relations.

The concerns come amid mounting political unease in Britain that attacks on BP for its handling of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill are being dictated by the politics of November’s midterm elections rather than normal regulatory considerations.

News Headlines (http://www.cnbc.com/id/37606053 - broken link)

The leader opinion in The Daily Telegraph points out that BP is a multinational company, 40 percent of whose shareholders are American. The long-term relationship between Britain and America should not be jeopardized by a presidential response that has been more petulant than statesmanlike," it continues.

The Telegraph says it is disappointed that Obama, "a politician whose reputation was built on his powers of persuasion should be so quick to inflame a difficult situation for his own political ends. We had thought better of him."

Obama is told to "stop ranting against BP" by the Daily Express, which leads with the headline: "Obama is killing all our pensions." Many British retirement funds, both public and private, invest in the oil company, which has seen billions wiped off its share price this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies