Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And had Obama let BP run the show, like he did with plugging the hole and relying on its expertise on recovery efforts... you would be singing a different tune. Well, same tune just completely out of phase.
The only thing I would give BP full control over would be stopping the leak and drilling the relief wells.

0bama is letting BP run the show, from containment to clean up, and that's the damn problem. We have companies with miles and miles of oil booms, and they are told they have to wait for BPs approval before they can be used in the clean up. What the hell is up with that!! Its our wetlands and our jobs that are being destroyed, and we need to beg BP for permission???

Quote:
It is government's responsibility to ensure funds are available and not being spent away elsewhere. People like him, and voters like you, are the prime reason I could NEVER support legislators who are nothing but corporate shills and anti-government. Government has a role, and this is definitely one of it. You can hate it, or I can help you pack too, if you would like to find a heaven run by corporations.
Grow up will ya! Not everything fits into your little partisan stereotypes.

Th federal government, the president in particular, is tasked by law, to take charge of coordinating and managing the clean up and containment efforts, not BP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Then why doesn't he just plug the dam hole?!
You can childishly roll your eyes to your hearts content but pray tell how Obama is going to cap this well when BP with all of its engineers and access to the best and brightest in the oil drilling community haven't figured out how to plug a well one mile beneath the Gulf's surface, spewing oil at pressures approaching 12,000 pounds per inch?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:40 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Provide a link? Give me a break. When the most powerful man in the world has been publicly trashing BP, claiming to have his boot on their neck, sending an army of DoJ lawyers to prosecute BP, demanding that they suspend paying dividends, and he keeps hammering away at them day after day, why would you think it has no effect.

People are speculating on BP going bankrupt after 0bama is done destroying them, I do not need a link to see that what the president has been saying and doing is having adverse affects on BPs stock.
OK, but I do need a link before I think your doing anything other than talking out your ass.

If BP's stock values are falling, it's because BP massively failed at doing it's job.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:43 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
So what you are saying is that our laws and/or regulations are insufficient. Fine, then lets amend them, and make them proper.

The law already say BP is legally responsible to compensate everyone who adversely affected by the oil discharge and to pay all costs associated with the clean up. If the current law is not specific enough, then let's change it.

This president has been acting like a thug from the start, with talk like "We have our boot on BP's neck" 0bama has been destroying BPs stock, and now this coercive action looks more like blackmail then simply engaging in discussions over how best to proceed, its thuggish.

Do i want BP to make prompt compensation to the people affected by this oil, hell yes. But I do not want our president and our congress to be acting like a bunch of foul mouthed, strong armed mafia thugs either.
Please give a link to what you are basing your assessment of the situatuion and how it unfolded upon. Obama has been destroying BOP's stock? I beg to differ...BP destroyed BP's stock, along with an entire coastal region of these United States.

Please know that it is very clear that you are repeating rhetoric. Why is it bothering you that this was handled expediently rather than thru costly and time consuming litigation? Why is bothering you that victims will not have to suffer longer than necessary. Why are you and Senator Barton on the same side? Barton is in BP's pocket so he was licking butt...what is your bizarre reason?

If you are so indignant about this non issue of how BP will pay fo their massive destructive and negligent disaster, please show me how indignant you were when we paid thru the teeth with many lives and taxpayer's money for an illegal war waged in Iraq based on lies. Show me that and then you can continue to spew and regurgitate rhetoric coming from right wing talking heads. Really, show me. Do you know what BP's unprecedented profits were? Do you know that they spent nothing on fail safe technolnogy? They deserve to be waterboared in crude oil and then hung and you want them treated with kid gloves and respect. Stop insulting the intelligence of people that know where you are getting your talking points from!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
That's the quote of the century! Let's see now...where has the government ensured any such thing...

You must be some kind of comedian.
Yeah, no kidding. Maybe we should put the government in charge of all that stimulus bill money, just "to ensure funds are available and not being spent away elsewhere."

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Swindlers, con men, and thieves could siphon off as much as $50 billion of the government's planned stimulus package as the money begins flooding the economy in coming months, according to David Williams, who runs Deloitte Financial Services Advisory and counsels clients on fraud prevention.

Stimulus fraud could hit $50 billion - MarketWatch

Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
BP always said they would pay for cleanup, and for legitimate claims from residents.
You won't trust US government, but you would trust a British company. You must be right, the stakeholders in the company have the interest of the people (much less Americans) as the top priority.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I know what you mean, Obama has little micro divers with tiny drills putting more holes in the well when the cameras aren't looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You can childishly roll your eyes to your hearts content but pray tell how Obama is going to cap this well when BP with all of its engineers and access to the best and brightest in the oil drilling community haven't figured out how to plug a well one mile beneath the Gulf's surface, spewing oil at pressures approaching 12,000 pounds per inch?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
This is a disaster of enormous proportions, the long term impact of which no one knows for sure, and hardly a matter to be treated frivolously.

I was just responding to the flip comment about about Obama having micro divers with tiny drills.

By the way, that was a non-response. I asked why Democrats look the other way when their scheming and questionable ethics allow them to benefit from big business. I got it! You were using a typical left diversionary tactic.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:59 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
You won't trust US government, but you would trust a British company. You must be right, the stakeholders in the company have the interest of the people (much less Americans) as the top priority.
You don't get it. I have no problem with an escrow fund. The problem is with the way Obama did it.

BTW, It must be bliss to live in a reality where one can trust the government.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
The only thing I would give BP full control over would be stopping the leak and drilling the relief wells. 0bama is letting BP run the show, from containment to clean up, and that's the damn problem. We have companies with miles and miles of oil booms, and they are told they have to wait for BPs approval before they can be used in the clean up. What the hell is up with that!!
And who are you? Opinions are like... everybody has one. Besides, you're far from being remotely credible given your track record. Don't believe in cleaning up your own mess, do you? Parents teach kids to do that, and to take the responsibility (accountability). Mine did.

Quote:
Its our wetlands and our jobs that are being destroyed, and we need to beg BP for permission???
Aren't you one of those apologizing to BP for the government making them cover the costs? What is with this begging stuff, dear flip flopper. Won't it be great if the government begged BP to take care of the wetlands and jobs too, and costs associated with it? After all, a begging government (to the corporations) is your idea of perfect government. And corporations have the best interests of environment and people in mind.

Quote:
Grow up will ya! Not everything fits into your little partisan stereotypes.
Can't even figure out the "O" key at times, and here you go preaching against partisan politics.

Quote:
Th federal government, the president in particular, is tasked by law, to take charge of coordinating and managing the clean up and containment efforts, not BP.
And beg BP to pay for it, instead of asking it to cover the costs. Not that I needed another insight your thinking abilities, this just reaffirms my beliefs.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
You don't get it. I have no problem with an escrow fund. The problem is with the way Obama did it.
Let me guess, Obama should have pleaded and begged BP to cover the costs, instead of asking it to? And you would be singing his praise. Excuse me for stepping into Utopia for a bit. I'm back to reality now... no you won't. You would be whining and complaining about that too.

Quote:
BTW, It must be bliss to live in a reality where one can trust the government.
You mean, government of the people. May be. But I wouldn't trust corporations for anything. Utopians amuse me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies