Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 08:26 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Who do they take their orders from? Why it must be old Barack "I am the law" Obama. Seems like these two civilians just weren't considered by McChrystal to be very good people. I agree with him, don't you?

Too bad their NOT civilians as you purport to tell the truth. They not only OUTRANK him, but in his chain of command he also answers to the VP.

More case in point to burn him to a crisp as a private, equip him w/ a rifle and have him patrol a street in Kabul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Guys, have any of you heard Obama's words about all this? I heard some of what he has said this evening on that terrible place, Fox News, and it seems to me that Obama is being far more adult about the whole thing than anybody else I hear or read. Obama has said that they may come to some agreement and McChrystial can stay. He wants only to talk to the man, one on one, and see if they can save a very serious situation

Do any of you really agree with all the lefties who have said that Obama throws him out or he should be thrown out. I heard at the same time on Fox that our troops are about to enter what could be the final operation if a leader who knows what is going on can be the leader. Who knows as much about it as McChrystal? Maybe Petraeus but there is no way that Petraeus can be demoted from where he is now. Is there anyone who can be brought in and get familiarized soon enough to carry this new offensive off? I think not and evidently Obama knows that.

I may not care for Obama but he made some points with me today talking the way he did.

Let me put in some points for Jon Carry over this one also. He said that the very best thing we could do right now is sit out the next 24 hours or more and that makes all kinds of sense to me. I have more respect for him now than I ever did from 2004 to now.

Also, I heard that an editor at the magazine said it was the blow off of the mountain in Iceland that caused this whole thing. How could this be? Well that writer was trapped in Paris with McChrystal and his people for nearly a week and when they finally could go back to Afghanistan he was invited to go along. Now too much of this information came into his hands during all that time together. Like it or not boredom may well have sent a lot of this stuff into he air. Lets ease back and accept whatever the two principals in this situation come up with.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:28 PM

57 posts, read 81,111 times
So if the guy was a great leader, was loved by his troops, getting things done, would any of you really care about that?
Better that obama gets a lapdog in there, then you'll all feel better.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Only when disobeying and ignoring unlawful orders. Other than that, in the military chain of command, McChrystal's ass is grass, and Obama is the lawnmower. He should be burned.
What if they come to an amenable decision about all this and Obama fails to fire McChrystal? Will you join all the left leaners wanting the general's head on a pike? I think there is too much politics involved here and many are trying to force Obama into what could be a bad decision.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. McChrystal has had enough.

The Afghanis are on McChrystal's side. He also received a vote of confidence from the secretary-general of NATO:
Nation & World | Afghan politicians rally around Gen. McChrystal | Seattle Times Newspaper

Of course the Afghans are on McChrystal's side! Because of him and the 'other' security companies, the Afghan's are getting up to $4 MILLION per week OF U.S. TAXPAYER MONEY to give to the Taliban and Al-Queda to re-arm and re-equip themselves and their allies.

Of course they want him to stay, he's their golden calf!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I agree. He wasted his breath with the apology. He would look better if he had held his peace. I suppose he wanted everyone to know that is was an honest mistake.
It wasn't. The General had the story 2 weeks ago. He knew what was in it, he had a chance to refute it. He had a chance to clarify or retract.

He did none of those things.

He did not call to warn his superior, the SecDef or the NCA. He waited like a snake in the grass for the story to come out and then try and weasel out of it.

Honest mistake? Not by a long shot.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:31 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Gen. Stanley McChrystal: Latest developments – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

What can you expect. You criticize the Boss, you get the hammer dropped.
I once read on a blog if you strap toast butter side up to a cats back and drop the cat, the cat will float, since cats always land on their feet and toast always lands on the buttered side. Since, we're quoting blogs and all.

You need to put in a CD of Frank Sinatra's "My Way" when you read this.

Kurtz: I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies. I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment. Because it's judgment that defeats us.

Apocalypse Now

Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Really? Who ACTUALLY said that...hmmmm I wonder.
Capitol Hill Blue: Bush on the Constitution: It's just a 'goddamned piece of paper'

Now...you wanna talk about who's who and what's what? Thought so.
Yep, I am quite willing to discuss this crap with you. One time Bush had that happen and you along with some other far left leaners just can't give in to the fact that Bush has been gone for nearly 18 months. Obama has made the same kinds of statements, and you know it. This 3rd grade arguing about who did what trying to top the other people won't ever change anything.

OK, I have admitted your argument happened and now I suppose I have to get some quotes from Obama and his WH people to shut you up. I don't want to do that right now but if you insist I will do it for you.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Of course the Afghans are on McChrystal's side! Because of him and the 'other' security companies, the Afghan's are getting up to $4 MILLION per week OF U.S. TAXPAYER MONEY to give to the Taliban and Al-Queda to re-arm and re-equip themselves and their allies.

Of course they want him to stay, he's their golden calf!
I think it is now your turn to offer some links to prove what you are saying. What do you have that doesn't come from some blog like Kos.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
McChrystal should resign, he overstepped his bounds.

My question is why wasn't Shinseki criticized by the same folks who are criticizing McChrystal? I don't recall his being forced to resign as Army Chief of Staff although he did retire at the end of his term.
Shinseki was rebuked at the time, and was only giving testimony under oath when questioned by Congress. Not a ROLLING STONE magazine article. Shinseki had also been saying the same things to Bush, Cheney and the JCS the whole time.

The Pentagon accepted Shinseki's retirement (w/out him officially turning in his paperwork at the time) when he date was 30 days out from 1 year. Instead of waiting the 1 year period, the Pentagon announced his replacement who would take over the same day it announced it would accept Shinseki's retirement.

He was effectively and for all purposes retired at that moment w/ no authority or duties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies