Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:12 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Beievers are now "hillbillies." Why oh why are certain people so threatened by believers? Because really, if they weren't threatened they wouldn't go on and on with their comments, and put downs, asides, and mocking. Why are they so fearful of believers?
Whatever the actual reason is I would say that if you watch who the anti-believers are they are also afraid of the Teaparty people. Maybe there is some kind of connection there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 AM

27 posts, read 16,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
GOD is not about logic, He's about faith.

and faith does not pay your bills, your job does. Faith does not heal your cancer, medicine does. Faith does protect you in a car accident, your car does.

In short, faith is nothing but a deaf lie.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:14 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
All the things you've mentioned are much different than having faith in God.

First, it depends on the prognosis of my child. Does my child have a typically-incurable form of cancer or a throat ache? This would be the deciding factor as to whether or not I am relieved, knowing it will be okay or whether I am doom or gloom. (And even if I felt discouraged, I would of course put on my happy face for my poor child.)

I also believe that I will return to my bed safely each night because, a) I don't work a dangerous profession, b) I don't live in a dangerous neighborhood, c) As a 24-year old man, I have returned to my bed over 8,760 times before in my life. Those statistics really don't leave a whole lot of worry in your mind, do they?

Oh how I wish your last sentence was true.

The Texas Textbook Massacre: 'Christian Conservative Voting Bloc' on the Attack | NewsBusters.org

This was reported on every single mainstream news outlet in the U.S. a few weeks back so I'm sure you remember. I think this is an example of what the previous poster was referring to: legislating your morality for everyone else. And rewriting/angling history and our children's educations to do it. It's things like this that make people like myself and others very irritated.

The difference between that and abortion? Abortion, as much as you don't wish to believe it, doesn't affect you or anyone you know. It doesn't affect me, it doesn't affect you, it doesn't affect anyone that we know. There's a quote I like: "If you don't believe in abortion, then don't have one." I'm against late-term abortions and I believe there should be stringent tests and requirements to being a parent anyway - but I don't believe in legislating my beliefs against anyone else.

--

As a note, I hope you don't take offense to my post(s). You seem quite respectful and have added good things to the thread that I appreciate. If my post comes off a little too direct, I apologize - I don't mean for it to.
Faith is faith it doesnt change or the meaning or what it is doesnt change just because of the thing you are having faith in.

There has been a war on Christians going on in this country. Cant have the 10 commandments in certain places. People dont like the words in god we trust on money. People having issue with seniors saying a prayer before dinner.

Someone else might not be effected by another abortion but that is something that Christians do not believe in yet they have to put up with the law. But darn it Christians cant ask for anything at all.

So what law is Christians trying to make that is going to harm anyone?

Thank you I try very hard to be respectful of others.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:17 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I was referring to those 19% of college educated people that believe JC is coming back by 2050..

And yes 19% IS a distinct minority.
well Upton, I re-read the article you linked and at first glance it appears you are right... but then I did some more looking.

I actually found the Pew Research Centers poll and it tells a bit of a different story.

Your link says that 19% of college graduates believe Jesus will come back before 2050.

But when you read the actual research poll, it shows something very different.

the poll is talking about the respondents. 19% of the respondents to the poll are both college graduates and believe Jesus will return by 2050.

The poll says that 19% of the population that believes in the soon coming of Christ are college graduates.

The poll suggests the total population that believes in this is not really that out of line with the public at large...percentage wise.

for those who might want unslanted access to the report.

http://people-press.org/report/?pageid=1740 (broken link)

Old 06-24-2010, 09:18 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
wow I thought he was already here

Matthew 24:23-25 At that time if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Christ!' or, 'There he is!' do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible. See, I have told you ahead of time.

26-27 "So if anyone tells you, 'There he is, out in the desert,' do not go out; or, 'Here he is, in the inner rooms,' do not believe it. For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

Prezelogik, were you thinking of "messiah Obama"?? My apologies, if I misunderstood.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I was referring to those 19% of college educated people that believe JC is coming back by 2050..

And yes 19% IS a distinct minority.
I will be very happy to take my MS degree to the grave with me as one of those 19%. BTW, I earned that degree and am still proud of it.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Even Jesus himself apparently did not know when he would return. His personal predictions turned out to be wrong.

Matthew 16:28: "...there shall be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

Matthew 24:34: "...This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."
Maybe Matthew, whoever the author was, had been to the Alinsky School of word twisting and spinning and forgot exactly what He had said.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I believe that if Christ actually returned he would wonder where the Christians were and where the kindness went?

Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe that if Christ actually returned he would wonder where the Christians were and where the kindness went?
And then he'd remind the non-believers that "kindness" is not what got those Christians to heaven.

Good deeds are not the ticket to heaven. Never have been. Never will be. That's why those who feel that living a "good life" is all that matters are actually living a lie.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It's not news that the more religiously fanatical a person, the lower their IQ and level of education.

The same people probably are getting the short end of the stick now. Why not have something to look forward to?
Where did you get all that wisdom? Somehow I think you are throwing some kind of progressive crap on the wall hoping it sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies