Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Congress Funded Continued FEDERAL Unemployment Insurance for the LONG TERM Unemployed?
Yes, keep the checks coming until the economy goes back to normal 52 42.98%
Stop it at 99 weeks, no longer 26 21.49%
There should be no Federally Funded Unemployment Extensions 36 29.75%
There should be no unemployment insurance for anyone State or Federal (Work or Die!) 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:50 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseybt View Post
Have to agree with Booya.

Unemployment checks = green fees. I didn't stop golfing until 30 days before the "paid green fees" ended. Basically living off the fat of the land. The money is like heroin. It is hard to go cold turkey once you're hooked. But...deep inside you know it's wrong...real wrong.
I can barely understand what are you talking about (maybe because of the golfing part) but I'll have you know that I know many people including myself that will go back to work the second something barely suitable comes along. Because of my line of work, I am always one of the first to go in a bad economy so I have been laid off 3 times in the past 12 years. I always go back to work with half of more of my unemployment unused. In fact, in 2004, I got a job so fast I didn't even get a chance to collect! This is the first time I applied for an extension. There are tons of people that are doing their best to find work. We work to get money to pay our bills. If the job won't give us enough money to do at least that, it does not make sense until is a last resort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 05:23 AM

43 posts, read 93,875 times
Angry Work Or Die???

This will trully be the case should unemployment extension cease. Particularly for those who have maxed out at 99 weeks. It's great to say get out there and get a job and that's just it, there aren't any. Well you say get a job at a Walmart or flip burgers. Yes, these are in fact options. At 60 years old however, I think back at what would have happened had I been laid off earlier in life say in my late 20's to early 30's. My wife was pregnant with our first child and unfortunately had to stop working early as an elimentary school teacher due to complications. I was the sole source of income and we had a fairly healthy mortage at the time on our first home. Had I been laid off, and taken a job at either one f these examples, (should there have been one available), I would have never been able to survive. I would have had to sell my house and go possibly to a shelter for we were just starting out with our lives as a family. I try to sell my house, but that would have been without a federal incentive that is currently available for first home buyers and of course that would also depend on the state of the economy. Had it been back then what it is today, I would have gone into forclosure. This scenerio is real today folks!!! This example exists throughout this great country of ours. Those of us who have served in the military faught and died for this great country are asking ourselves, was it all worth it when politicians thumb their noses at us americans who need their help to stay alive and have been abandoned.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I've got two relatives who were out of work for over two years and just recently found jobs. Not many months ago it wasn't unusual at all in my state for 300 to 600 people to show up to apply for a single job opening. How do you find work in an economy like that? Housing sales are/were down and even moving out of state to find work was impossible unless you want to abandon a house you've made payments on for years. It was their wives paychecks and unemployment that kept them floating. Many people here have gone back to school to retrain for other professions other than the auto industry but that all takes time. The extension is an extreme measure for extreme times....and the Gulf state people are next in line to need some extra help with employment issues.
The difference being for those effected in the Gulf is that they're recieving finacial assistance from BP.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
What your friends are asking for is to be on UE until the rate gets down to 5% where it was before the depression started.As I see it that is not going to take place anytime soon because our economy has been out of balance for many years.We falsely rely on consumer spending 72% compared to production at 28% and that is why we are at where we are today.To just hold the line on this type of economy we have to keep extending UE, and stimulating with borrowed money.
In the last 15 years we have been riding on bubbles{dot.com housing} and now we are desperately seeking another to replace the lets print money and spend like no tomorrow bubble.It looked like the next one could have been the alternative energy but I think we are way behind that one already.In the forum last week a story was told about a man that can make cheap solar panels.He went to Ohio and other places and presented his idea and got no where,which is amazing when we are seeking job creation.Meanwhile,China heard of this guys idea and they flew him to China introduced him to investors and he is going to be up and running in 6 months and employing 300 workers.
So I support a cut off date on UE for the above reasons because the EU rate is going to be high for many years because we are stupid.Maybe when there are millions and millions of people out of work and no UE beni's there will be a awakening.They will start to ask themselves how did we get here?Is our taxes to high and we have to much regulation?Is it because our trade policies are really not fair?
I support the {R}s on blocking UE,there main point is that it should be paid for instead of running up more debt.If the {D}s want to spend 30 billion or what ever they should make the cuts to pay for it.I would like it better if there was a cut off date also.
Spoken like a true Republican.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:33 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginej5q View Post
The difference being for those effected in the Gulf is that they're recieving finacial assistance from BP.
""financial assistance from BP""

They are? Have you heard how hard it is to get money from BP? It takes stacks of paper work and then they MAY receive 10% of what they asked for!

Besides what those people MIGHT get from BP has NOTHING to do with them getting unemployment. They deserve BOTH.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:48 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete The Cheat View Post
I will not support unemployment extensions until our government stops withholding disability payments from disabled veterans. That's just how I see it.
So, out of work people suffer because vets can't get disability? Your on the wrong battle field bub.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:03 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Quote:
Workers do not pay unemployment insurance taxes, the employer does.
About 6% for Federal and there's State and then they get a discount of over 5% off their Federal.

So, the employer pays for unemployment and it's a mere fraction of what people are receiving. With the offset, employers pay about $56 per employee per year for the Federal part of the tax.

Futa Tax Guide - Federal Unemployment Tax Act

At the bottom are links to some of the states.
In Pa, both pay into it.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:57 PM

50 posts, read 37,362 times
Angry Toadies

Quote:
link (http://www.examiner.com/x-46830-Sacramento-Media--Culture-Examiner%7Ey2010m6d8-1500-people-line-up-%20for-manufacturing-Campbell-Soup-jobs-in-Sacramento--organizing-temps?cid=exrss-Sacramento-Media--Cu%20lture-Examiner - broken link)

Organizing Sacramento's huge pool of thousands of temporary workers for up to 100
summer jobs requires testing and managing at least 1,500 people applying for jobs
paying salaries from $15.82 to $17.13 an hour (depending upon experience) for
manufacturing jobs at Campbell Soup's cannery in south Sacramento. If you live in
south Sacramento, you know how eager the neighborhoods are for job offers at livable wages.

Some people arrive at four in the morning and have to wait four or more hours to take a
basic reading skills assessment for janitorial and manufacturing work. The temporary
summer work is for janitors, cleaners, machine operators, and other manufacturing tasks.
Others have camped out since Sunday afternoon.
Red-state republicans will shamelessly repeat any lie to please their corporate masters.
Their corporate masters broke the banking system and moved millions of manufacturing
jobs to low wage countries but the red-state republicans blame their fellow citizens for
being lazy. ----Ass-sucking toadies.

Where Today's Large Deficits Come From — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

http://http://www.cbpp.org/images/cms//12-16-09bud-f11.jpg (broken link)

In 2019 the Bush-era tax cuts will cost 693 billion dollars, but half of that goes to
their corporate masters, so that’s all right. Anything for their masters.

---- bluecoller -- the grumpy old kraut-------

Old 06-27-2010, 02:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
I can see 26 weeks of state funded unemployment when one is laid off so resumes can be written and bills paid while seeking another job.

If that state wants to give another period of time, it should but lower checks to encourage the taking of a job. Leave the federal government out of it entirely.

It would be better to have back to work programs like the Depression era work programs than to leave people laying around all day doing nothing. It's not healthy.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
26 weeks is plenty enough, anything more than that is just a waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies