Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Congress Funded Continued FEDERAL Unemployment Insurance for the LONG TERM Unemployed?
Yes, keep the checks coming until the economy goes back to normal 52 42.98%
Stop it at 99 weeks, no longer 26 21.49%
There should be no Federally Funded Unemployment Extensions 36 29.75%
There should be no unemployment insurance for anyone State or Federal (Work or Die!) 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 06:32 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
lol, we're debating extending unemployment benefits, not tax increases.
lol, no juppiter you must have missed some of Norcals posts, clearly she was speaking about taxes so please go back and reread the posts before you make such comments. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 06:41 AM

814 posts, read 670,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Norcal, I thought the ONE thing we agreed upon was the CLEARLY you and I are NOT living in the same reality. Geez. Please go back and reread if you need to refresh your memory that is the ONE thing we agreed upon.

And your are cracking me up seriously, because YOU and so many others are the ones that are deceived by the propaganda that is spread by the left-wing media.
And at the end of the day we CANNOT tax our way out of this down turn in the economy. And this economy is only going to get worse because of people in your party and mind-sets like yours that have been drilled into you by the media. So sad.
LOL So society and our government should just sit back and ride the wave out and see where it goes? brilliant!

I think many would agree that the representation in the right wing media camp is lacking severely

Old 06-26-2010, 07:02 AM

57 posts, read 81,114 times
I will not support unemployment extensions until our government stops withholding disability payments from disabled veterans. That's just how I see it.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:06 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete The Cheat View Post
A lot of hard luck out there, but also way too many people waiting for the perfect job...
See, yes...this is the problem. While I know plenty of people who have picked up whatever job is out there, I also know people who are waiting for something 'in their field' or 'worth their time.' That's a real problem. While we should always help our fellow citizens in need, we need to make it more of a sink or swim situation.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:10 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,655 times
If the government doesn't have any money, how do you think these unemployment checks will be paid?
Better start ousting the illegals that are picking the crops because that is where our future jobs are.
What do people not understand about BROKE?
We are broke and that is the bottom line.
Just ask Greece, they are broke but now have borrowed enough to stay in their lifestyle for awhile but when that runs out, they will be broke again.
When you are hungry, a job picking crops looks pretty good.
Just ask the illegals because they are broke too.
We are broke and better figure something out because the checks are about to stop due to bankrupcy. Very sad but true.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:17 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
If the poll is any indication, two-thirds of the people want at least 99 weeks of benefits available, but politicians failed to pass ANY extension. Shows how clueless they are. As if anyone needed confirmation! The Congress can find money for two wars and numerous bailouts, they ought to have the genius to find it for emergency relief.

Last edited by pvande55; 06-26-2010 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Add sentence

Old 06-26-2010, 12:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,903,410 times
Why work when you can sit home, eat, watch TV, shop, sleep. It gets addictive for many. Not all, but enough.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
We are becoming The Netherlands. lol. Where more people will soon be on unemployment than work. Our country cannot support this and we will soon be so in debt that we have no power but are in debted to China and are basically owned. Obviously a lot of people are deceived and do not understand this.

Let charity begin at home, not in our government. So many people do not understand the purpose of our government. it is not to provided money to those who don't work. People need to educate themselves. The results so far in this poll just show how many people do not understand how gov't and entitlements work.
Well, the gummit went ahead and bailed out the banks so a comparative pittance to those adversely affected by "too big to fail" seems the moral, integral, fair thing to do.

Also, there is the purely selfish element. The unemployment money would be spent on goods and services, which helps everyone, and prevents the potentially ever larger starving souls from rising up and knocking on my door, brandishing weapons, wanting to raid my pantry. Good people (and bad) do desperate things in desperate times.

I consider any tax money of mine used to fund extended unemployment benefits to be a good investment all around....... the taxes I pay for the endless, pointless (other than wealth for PTB), wars- not so much.

Too many people do not think outside a tiny box when it comes to their own self interest.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
42% just want Uncle Ben to keep on printing in the back room for however long it takes.

The Great Depression lasted 10 years.
Moral Hazard has entered Main Street.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:27 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,894 times
[quote=pvande55;14785081]If the poll is any indication, two-thirds of the people want at least 99 weeks of benefits available, but politicians failed to pass ANY extension. Shows how clueless they are./quote]

36 people vote in an informal poll and you think that's a good representation of what the people want ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies