Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Congress Funded Continued FEDERAL Unemployment Insurance for the LONG TERM Unemployed?
Yes, keep the checks coming until the economy goes back to normal 52 42.98%
Stop it at 99 weeks, no longer 26 21.49%
There should be no Federally Funded Unemployment Extensions 36 29.75%
There should be no unemployment insurance for anyone State or Federal (Work or Die!) 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 07:59 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I thought people that were drunk in Las Vegas didn't get upset.

OK, I will go and fill that application to bag groceries...NOT!-LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 08:02 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
I thought people that were drunk in Las Vegas didn't get upset.

OK, I will go and fill that application to bag groceries...NOT!-LOL
I am upset because you make more money on unemployment than me when I have to work 40 hours a week. Fair enough?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
We are becoming The Netherlands. lol. Where more people will soon be on unemployment than work. Our country cannot support this and we will soon be so in debt that we have no power but are in debted to China and are basically owned. Obviously a lot of people are deceived and do not understand this.

Let charity begin at home, not in our government. So many people do not understand the purpose of our government. it is not to provided money to those who don't work. People need to educate themselves. The results so far in this poll just show how many people do not understand how gov't and entitlements work.
Hmmmm. The CIA factbook says unemployment in The Netherlands is 4%. That's about as good as it gets. The truth is, employers are extremely ageist in Western Europe. Become unfortunate enough to be unemployed in your forties and you will likely never work in your field again. Is America any different? In addition to ageist, American employers are racist and classist and elitist to boot. I just had a recruiter out and out ask me for my birthdate. I gave him the month and date. He said "I need your year of birth". I said you can't ask me that. He said "the client can't but I can". I gave it to him. I waited exactly one day because he said he was going to do a background check with the DOB. Then I emailed him and withdrew my interest in the position. He called me up and said "no problem". I asked him what had come out of the background check that he hadn't done. He was ****** because of course I was right and he hadn't done one.

All of the rest insist on the need to know my race before considering my application because EEO mandates only require 1 African American on the payroll and they already have one so they would like to save HR the trouble of reading the resumes of anymore. So, in Europe these people are taken care of by a system that provides multiple social safety nets because of the reality that only about 50% of their population is employable. A huge percentage of the American unemployable are being taken care of by family. That keeps the bulk of the problem off of the public radar. Going forward it is going to be impossible to hide the human wreckage of the massive discarding of labor potential by American employers.

Maybe this thread and the "Should America Be More Like Europe" thread should be merged. Seems to me Europe has a better answer than America to the problem. But that's just me. Those who are arguing for a 6 or 26 week cut-off are obviously doing fine. What else would they say? It is actually just more spin to say that only 10 out of every 100 people is unemployed but lets leave it at that... put to a vote, what are the real chances for social reform? When I am not posting here I am learning the language of a European country. I have no reason to expect that any American employer considers my skills valuable because of the package they come in. Europeans have proven themselves to be very colorblind and I'm not worried about the age thing because I can pass for 35 with no sweat. YMMV .

H

Old 06-26-2010, 08:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Hmmmm. The CIA factbook says unemployment in The Netherlands is 4%. That's about as good as it gets. The truth is, employers are extremely ageist in Western Europe. Become unfortunate enough to be unemployed in your forties and you will likely never work in your field again. Is America any different? In addition to ageist, American employers are racist and classist and elitist to boot. I just had a recruiter out and out ask me for my birthdate. I gave him the month and date. He said "I need your year of birth". I said you can't ask me that. He said "the client can't but I can". I gave it to him. I waited exactly one day because he said he was going to do a background check with the DOB. Then I emailed him and withdrew my interest in the position. He called me up and said "no problem". I asked him what had come out of the background check that he hadn't done. He was ****** because of course I was right and he hadn't done one.

All of the rest insist on the need to know my race before considering my application because EEO mandates only require 1 African American on the payroll and they already have one so they would like to save HR the trouble of reading the resumes of anymore. So, in Europe these people are taken care of by a system that provides multiple social safety nets because of the reality that only about 50% of their population is employable. A huge percentage of the American unemployable are being taken care of by family. That keeps the bulk of the problem off of the public radar. Going forward it is going to be impossible to hide the human wreckage of the massive discarding of labor potential by American employers.

Maybe this thread and the "Should America Be More Like Europe" thread should be merged. Seems to me Europe has a better answer than America to the problem. But that's just me. Those who are arguing for a 6 or 26 week cut-off are obviously doing fine. What else would they say? It is actually just more spin to say that only 10 out of every 100 people is unemployed but lets leave it at that... put to a vote, what are the real chances for social reform? When I am not posting here I am learning the language of a European country. I have no reason to expect that any American employer considers my skills valuable because of the package they come in. Europeans have proven themselves to be very colorblind and I'm not worried about the age thing because I can pass for 35 with no sweat. YMMV .

H
Don't move to Spain, they are ageist

Old 06-26-2010, 08:23 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

H

Oh, I hate that question. They say is "optional" but who knows. I declined once and they send me an email asking me to do it. That Co. never gave me an interview. And have you noticed how Corporate America has gone rogue? I mean, it is always been a bad place but they have not a cinch of shame. One interview after another and it takes them over a month to get back to me by email just to turn me dawn. And that is when I am lucky!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:29 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLerJoh View Post
Honestly I don't get unemployment. Why is it a free ride? I know as employees we pay into the system sort of like insurance, but why are you required to only pretend to fill out a couple applications a week? Theres so many people at my school who only go there to extend there unemployment. They only do enough school work to barely pass because they arn't there to learn they just want to continue leaching unemployment. They get free school and books paid for and just **** it away. Seems like a very big waste to me.

My economics teacher told me about way back when he was younger how they had programs that put people to work doing whatever. Building sidewalks, bridges, etc, things that might not be needed at the present moment but got people working. Why not something similar for the unemployed? They could require people that collect unemployment to work a certain number of volunteer hours per week while collecting. It would keep their morale up because they are actually doing something and contributing while collecting a check. They would also have something to tell future employers about what they were doing during their unemployement stretch. Society would be better off because they would be accomplishing things instead of sitting on their ass watching Maury and sending a resume or two through an online database.
Yes, and I know people who are RIGHTFULLY taking advantage of BENEFICIAL RETRAINING!

So you know stupid people, well, I know serious, dedicated people who spend up to 70 hours a week on their school work, many in their late forties and fifties! All in the HOPE that once they have done the right thing and learned a new trade that employers won't discriminate based on their age.

These people are not lazy.

They HAVE NO TIME to be used as slaves!!!!!

SLAVERY WAS OUTLAWED!!!

These people are using money they paid into the system for 20-30-+ years!

They are "pulling themselves up by their bootstraps"!!!

A country that invests in the education of their citizens has a chance to become strong once again! And

DUH

has smarter citizens....

ANYONE against them is a traitor to America!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:34 PM

142 posts, read 537,325 times
Have to agree with Booya.

Unemployment checks = green fees. I didn't stop golfing until 30 days before the "paid green fees" ended. Basically living off the fat of the land. The money is like heroin. It is hard to go cold turkey once you're hooked. But...deep inside you know it's wrong...real wrong.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:34 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Unemployment is a government social program, it is in fact a form of welfare.
After a while, at some point I do think you should take ANY job as opposed to living out of the envelope. Yes. I would think it would be gratifying to do something rather than accept money from the gov't.

You can still search for a better job. Fact is that most people will not accept a job while they are receiving benefits from the govt. """"

SHOW STATS, FACTS, PROOF.....YOU HAVE NONE!

And fact is most people think they are worth more $ than they really are.

Another face is that this country can't afford to pay out 2 years of unemployment."""

BUT STILL SPEND TRILLIONS ON A BADLY STARTED ILL PLANNED LONG UNNECESSARY WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

""""You may never make 68K a year again. And you say you were barely making it. Sometimes we have to take stock and change our lifestyle.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:37 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete The Cheat View Post
but also way too many people waiting for the perfect job...
And you know this because?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

These people are using money they paid into the system for 20-30-+ years!

Workers do not pay unemployment insurance taxes, the employer does.
About 6% for Federal and there's State and then they get a discount of over 5% off their Federal.

So, the employer pays for unemployment and it's a mere fraction of what people are receiving. With the offset, employers pay about $56 per employee per year for the Federal part of the tax.

Futa Tax Guide - Federal Unemployment Tax Act

At the bottom are links to some of the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies