Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Congress Funded Continued FEDERAL Unemployment Insurance for the LONG TERM Unemployed?
Yes, keep the checks coming until the economy goes back to normal 52 42.98%
Stop it at 99 weeks, no longer 26 21.49%
There should be no Federally Funded Unemployment Extensions 36 29.75%
There should be no unemployment insurance for anyone State or Federal (Work or Die!) 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 904 times

Advertisements

That is a great idea, very well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 06:16 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I am all for unemployment extensions for those who are having a hard time. However 99 weeks? That is nearly two years. I cannot fathom how you can make it much longer. At that point people are nearly unemployable.
So you suggest they do what? Kill themselves? starve to death? Go on Welfare?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:16 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I am all for unemployment extensions for those who are having a hard time. However 99 weeks? That is nearly two years. I cannot fathom how you can make it much longer. At that point people are nearly unemployable.

I've got two relatives who were out of work for over two years and just recently found jobs. Not many months ago it wasn't unusual at all in my state for 300 to 600 people to show up to apply for a single job opening. How do you find work in an economy like that? Housing sales are/were down and even moving out of state to find work was impossible unless you want to abandon a house you've made payments on for years. It was their wives paychecks and unemployment that kept them floating. Many people here have gone back to school to retrain for other professions other than the auto industry but that all takes time. The extension is an extreme measure for extreme times....and the Gulf state people are next in line to need some extra help with employment issues.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:19 AM

814 posts, read 670,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
The sad truth is this; most people do not start looking for a job, or more pointedly will no accept a job until the benefits run out regardless of how long they receive them. If it is 6 months or 2 years. Because most will be settling in their mind and would rather take a hand out at $250.00 a week than work for $400 a week.

A sad commentary on a lot of people's work ethic but so true. And I have seen it time and time again. I knew a gal who worked in a call center and make 15 an hour. She got layed off and was offered $10 an hour at another call center. She said, I am worth a lot more than that. Same job type it is just that she was making $15 an hour because she had been there for years. No eduation needed but she would not take the job.

People have skewed views of their "worth" in most cases.
People that are employed have skewed views of the unemployed currently.

The propaganda that is being spread across right wing media is absurd and inhumane. Sad fact is the unemployed are being looked at as welfare cases despite loosing their jobs through no fault of their own!

Quote:
Oh, capitalism has expired and "the only thing left is higher taxes like every civilized country."

So a mark of a civilized country is higher taxes? Just goes to show how skewed your thinking has become and how you have bought into the left wing media hook line and sinker. I am really sad that you think higher taxes and bigger gov't is the only way to solve our countries problems. It hasn't worked in Europe I would think you could see that.

If you think higher taxes is the only way, to tax our way out of our problems you are deceived. Clearly.
Do you think I want higher taxes? What reality are you in? How are we going to get out of the worst economy since the Great Depression without spending money? Last I checked we had a service based economy. What are we going to start a third war to promote manufacturing? If there are fewer people working that means there is a smaller tax base. How does that translate? That means the working class picks up the tab to make up for it! Higher taxes. We need a jobs policy,public works projects,promote small business,and many more things.

At the end of the day it takes money to make money that's business 101. Money has to circulate through our economy in order for people to not live in fear.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:21 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
What your friends are asking for is to be on UE until the rate gets down to 5% where it was before the depression started.As I see it that is not going to take place anytime soon because our economy has been out of balance for many years.We falsely rely on consumer spending 72% compared to production at 28% and that is why we are at where we are today.To just hold the line on this type of economy we have to keep extending UE, and stimulating with borrowed money.
In the last 15 years we have been riding on bubbles{dot.com housing} and now we are desperately seeking another to replace the lets print money and spend like no tomorrow bubble.It looked like the next one could have been the alternative energy but I think we are way behind that one already.In the forum last week a story was told about a man that can make cheap solar panels.He went to Ohio and other places and presented his idea and got no where,which is amazing when we are seeking job creation.Meanwhile,China heard of this guys idea and they flew him to China introduced him to investors and he is going to be up and running in 6 months and employing 300 workers.
So I support a cut off date on UE for the above reasons because the EU rate is going to be high for many years because we are stupid.Maybe when there are millions and millions of people out of work and no UE beni's there will be a awakening.They will start to ask themselves how did we get here?Is our taxes to high and we have to much regulation?Is it because our trade policies are really not fair?
I support the {R}s on blocking UE,there main point is that it should be paid for instead of running up more debt.If the {D}s want to spend 30 billion or what ever they should make the cuts to pay for it.I would like it better if there was a cut off date also.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:25 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
The propaganda that is being spread across right wing media is absurd and inhumane. Sad fact is the unemployed are being looked at as welfare cases despite loosing their jobs through no fault of their own!

Do you think I want higher taxes? What reality are you in?

At the end of the day it takes money to make money that's business 101. Money has to circulate through our economy in order for people to not live in fear.
Norcal, I thought the ONE thing we agreed upon was the CLEARLY you and I are NOT living in the same reality. Geez. Please go back and reread if you need to refresh your memory that is the ONE thing we agreed upon.

And your are cracking me up seriously, because YOU and so many others are the ones that are deceived by the propaganda that is spread by the left-wing media.
And at the end of the day we CANNOT tax our way out of this down turn in the economy. And this economy is only going to get worse because of people in your party and mind-sets like yours that have been drilled into you by the media. So sad.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:26 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
The sad truth is this; most people do not start looking for a job, or more pointedly will no accept a job until the benefits run out regardless of how long they receive them."""

Please show stats, figures , facts to prove this.

YOU do NOT know all the unemployed.

""If it is 6 months or 2 years. Because most will be settling in their mind and would rather take a hand out at $250.00 a week than work for $400 a week.

A sad commentary on a lot of people's work ethic but so true. And I have seen it time and time again. I knew a gal who worked in a call center and make 15 an hour. She got layed off and was offered $10 an hour at another call center. She said, I am worth a lot more than that. Same job type it is just that she was making $15 an hour because she had been there for years. No eduation needed but she would not take the job.

People have skewed views of their "worth" in most cases.
And I have friends and relatives who started looking for jobs before they were even laid off. Some who didn't even NEED a job looked anyway because they wanted to work.

I know people in their forties and fifties who started school (under OBAMA'S Re education funding, What a GOOD idea!) after getting laid off and now put in 60-70 hours a week on studying. They were promised unemployment benefits as long as they went to school....so YOU want the rug pulled out from under them just as they closing in on getting that degree and a job!????

That's stupid.

And for those who OBVIOUSLY never HAD a job and expect people to live on minimum wages...DUH, it cost money to go to work, gas, child care, etc......how stupid to put your kid in day care so you can make enough money just to put your child in day care......where's YOUR family values?

No, people should NOT accept slave wages.....how will the economy recover if 75% of our population are making such low wages they can't buy anything....that would be stupid.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:28 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
People who do not have a job should accept ANY job to get off the gov't payroll.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:28 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Norcal, I thought the ONE thing we agreed upon was the CLEARLY you and I are NOT living in the same reality. Geez. Please go back and reread if you need to refresh your memory that is the ONE thing we agreed upon.

And your are cracking me up seriously, because YOU and so many others are the ones that are deceived by the propaganda that is spread by the left-wing media.
And at the end of the day we CANNOT tax our way out of this down turn in the economy. And this economy is only going to get worse because of people in your party and mind-sets like yours that have been drilled into you by the media. So sad.
lol, we're debating extending unemployment benefits, not tax increases.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:29 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Yes, we need an extention. This is no worse than welfare and at least these people worked for there money. What have welfare recipients ever done to get welfare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies