Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,987 times

Advertisements

Yes these are all good points. I am not criticizing anyone who needs welfare or unemployment, but I do believe anyone who gets it for a long time is not really trying and is abusing the system.
There are time limits on how long people can receive welfare, there used to not be but that changed in the late 90's, and there are extenuating circumstances such as illness or things like that.
I know a lot of people do not like to see UE as welfare, because welfare has a certain stigma attached to it. But it does seem as though it is becoming more like it, as I stated before I have seen people who just receive it and do not spend much time at all looking for work or absolutely will not take a job they feel they are too good for.
Personally I do not know how it is possible to live on it, here in AZ the max a person can get from UE is 265 a week-if that-I may be wrong-but it's a pittance compared to what one would make working, even if a person only makes say $8/hour it's a little more than UE. And welfare is even worse, even if a person gets housing and food stamps-someone can only do so much with $$400 /month which is basically what a family of 4 on welfare get in AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Welfare you never contribute anything but still get it while unemployment insurance you pay into and then get insurance coverage when you need it. They're completely different.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Welfare you never contribute anything but still get it while unemployment insurance you pay into and then get insurance coverage when you need it. They're completely different.
But the insurance was for 26 week coverage..we have gone well beyond that and have now included part-time workers who don't pay that insurance.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:15 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It only becomes akin to receiving welfare when the unemployment benefits collected are greater than those paid into the system by both the former employee and employer. When it is a "bail-out" of the unemployed directly from taxpayer funds, yes, it is government welfare and nothing less.
Well if that helps to ease your conscience, it works for me, but unemployment like welfare, is... well... welfare.

By the way, I don't attach any negative stigma to the word or the concept of welfare.

By the way 2.0, pensions are not welfare since they are just another form of earned compensation that resulted either from a collective bargaining agreement or individual terms of employment.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Yes these are all good points. I am not criticizing anyone who needs welfare or unemployment, but I do believe anyone who gets it for a long time is not really trying and is abusing the system.
There are time limits on how long people can receive welfare, there used to not be but that changed in the late 90's, and there are extenuating circumstances such as illness or things like that.
I know a lot of people do not like to see UE as welfare, because welfare has a certain stigma attached to it. But it does seem as though it is becoming more like it, as I stated before I have seen people who just receive it and do not spend much time at all looking for work or absolutely will not take a job they feel they are too good for.
Personally I do not know how it is possible to live on it, here in AZ the max a person can get from UE is 265 a week-if that-I may be wrong-but it's a pittance compared to what one would make working, even if a person only makes say $8/hour it's a little more than UE. And welfare is even worse, even if a person gets housing and food stamps-someone can only do so much with $$400 /month which is basically what a family of 4 on welfare get in AZ.
You're not including the other programs..food pantries, food stamps, mortgage assistance.

Get your check, get your food stamp card but use it for something else because you can get your free food from food pantries and have your kids eat breakfast/lunch and snacks at school (yes even during the summer as there are USDA programs to continue the food while school is out).

It's just a matter of how you game the system to collect from all the various programs.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well if that helps to ease your conscience, it works for me, but unemployment like welfare, is... well... welfare.

By the way, I don't attach any negative stigma to the word or the concept of welfare.

By the way 2.0, pensions are not welfare since they are just another form of earned compensation that resulted either from a collective bargaining agreement or individual terms of employment.
When one is receiving back what they have already paid in it is not welfare. They earned it, the government took it out of their paychecks, and when unemployed they get it back (without interest). That is not welfare.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:22 AM

66 posts, read 39,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
you never pay into unemployement, your employer does

Old 08-12-2010, 11:25 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
When one is receiving back what they have already paid in it is not welfare. They earned it, the government took it out of their paychecks, and when unemployed they get it back (without interest). That is not welfare.
Like I said, if that eases your conscience, that works for me. By the way (I love that) does your argument apply to persons who have worked all of their adult lives and then for one reason or another finds themselves on food stamps or a TANF recipient as being on "welfare"?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What about collecting your pension and going on medicaid.? Welfare?
Medicaid is definitely a form of welfare.

State pensions are generally a form of welfare, but I suppose that varies by state, and by plan.

thanks to the PBGC, you could argue that corporate pension plans are a form of welfare, yes.

i don't see what is so complicated about this. it is as if people don't want to admit that they receive benefits from a social welfare scheme, so they try and change the meaning of the word.

Quote:
Public monies are redistributed, and participation is mandatory. If you retire, having never used your UE benefits, then you don't get that money back; it gets redistributed. That absolutely is welfare.

If unemployment insurance were 100% self-sufficient, paid for by the employee, like a savings account, then you can claim "it isn't welfare."

Last edited by le roi; 08-12-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 08-12-2010, 11:53 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE MY HARLEY View Post
you never pay into unemployement, your employer does
Exactly correct! Employees do not pay one cent for their unemployment insurance. That is why employers are careful when they discharge an employee, because THEY have to pay the premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies