Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:25 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The left will grasp at non-existant straws to defen terrorists. I want to see where the left's loyality falls once the gay bar is built beside this mosque that will be serving pork and 72 virgin drinks.
I think the gay bar idea is cute. However, it's not as if there is some empty land sitting on Park Place waiting for somebody to build something on it, lolol. The buildings are literally wall to wall down there.

Next to the mosque on one side is the Dakota Roadhouse, a bar. Don't think it's a gay bar, though.

On the other side is the Amish Market, a big deli-type place that sells pizza, has a hot and cold salad bar, a deli section, etc. They do indeed sell pork products. And shellfish. And beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Gee i don't know- Nichols and McVeigh were conservative Christians
You're right, you don't know. McVeigh was not a Christian.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
A. Point is actions taken by one group of extremists does not mean they seak for everyone who is part of that religion

B. Yes, AT Ground Zero a Catholic Church, existed, AT Ground Zero, not several blocks away which is where the proposed Islamic Community Center is. Due to the Church's location any rebuilding would have interfered with the current construction plans at Ground Zero. Due to the fact the proposed Islamic Center is several blocks away, its construction would have no impact on the ongoing rebuilding effort at Ground Zero.

C. Both were terrorist attacks against the U.S
No, it is NOT on the WTC site. St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox was on Cedar near West Street, one block south of the WTC complex, which, I hope people know, is more than a block in area. There was never any religious facility on the WTC site itself.

Just for those who are truly interested in the area, the closest religious facility to the WTC is St. Paul's Chapel (belongs to Trinity Episcopal Church, the church at the foot of Wall St) and which is the oldest public building still open in Manhattan. It is directly to the east across Church Street from the World Trade Center. St. Paul's was spared on 9/11, although its churchyard trees and some of the old headstones were damaged. It was used as a place for rescue personnel to eat, sleep, and get whatever they needed from the thousands of volunteers who staffed it. It is open as a tribute to the people who died and the people who worked on the recovery.

The photo is from 9.12.2001, looking west.

http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/congregation/spc/

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-21-2010 at 09:59 AM..

Old 08-21-2010, 12:09 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Default F-minus for stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
and they went and bombed hundreds of Americans including children to death. Doesn't it soil the memory of the Americans who died to have Christians stick our nose in it by having a church in the same area? What about the loved ones who lost family and who now would have to look at that Cross each time they go by?

You say that Nicols and McVeigh weren't good Christians? Well did you ever think that the Musim terrorists who blew up the World Trade Center weren't considered good muslims and that religion denounced them?

Did the Christian churches ever denounce Nicols and McVeigh ( nah they just hoped people would forget it about and continue to look at arabs).

One of the stupidest questions I've ever come across.

"McVeigh told journalists he would quote from Invictus, a 19th century poem by William Ernest Henley famous for the lines: "I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul."

Not Jesus?

Odd thing for a "good Christian" to say.

"In his letter, McVeigh said he was an agnostic but that he would "improvise, adapt and overcome", if it turned out there was an afterlife. "If I'm going to hell," he wrote, "I'm gonna have a lot of company."

McVeigh faces day of reckoning | World news | The Guardian

Hmm, sound like anything a "good Christian" would say?

McVeigh was a lot of things, but Christian doesn't seem to have been one of them.

For the record, I oppose an agnostic center being located anywhere near the site of the Oklahoma Federal Building.

Last edited by momonkey; 08-21-2010 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 12:59 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,523,771 times
Moderator cut: Personal attack

Timothy McVeigh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

McVeigh attended mass regularly as a child and you will see in quote from Time Magazine that he believes in the "core beliefs of Christianity'
Ok so he said something that is different- every time someone says God D--n it! that's clearly anti -god but does that mean they aren't Christian any more.

The Big Picture is guess what! Muslims have denounced Bin Laden as many times as Christians have denounced Nichols and McVeigh.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-22-2010 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:27 PM

159 posts, read 360,041 times
Quote:
and they went and bombed hundreds of Americans including children to death. Doesn't it soil the memory of the Americans who died to have Christians stick our nose in it by having a church in the same area? What about the loved ones who lost family and who now would have to look at that Cross each time they go by?

You say that Nicols and McVeigh weren't good Christians? Well did you ever think that the Musim terrorists who blew up the World Trade Center weren't considered good muslims and that religion denounced them?

Did the Christian churches ever denounce Nicols and McVeigh ( nah they just hoped people would forget it about and continue to look at arabs).
Well, did he act in the name of Christianity? Honestly, I do not know. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject can answer this question for me.

I do know that my uber liberal friends love to drag his name into any conversation/debate involving the so called victory mosque. It'd be nice if they switched gears and introduced some other names aside from two lone white guys named Nichols and McVeigh.

I also know that anyone with an objective take will automatically be labeled as a bigot. (In other words, you're not "left" enough on this one.)

Old 08-22-2010, 07:21 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,523,771 times
Well America has plenty of other bombers and serial killers. Anyone can say they are acting in the name of their religion - christians have bombed and killed many in that cause- whether it was witchhunts or crusades or religious serial killers.

The point is people can say they are killing commies for christ or infidels for allah or whatever - that doesn't mean the rank and file of the religion is behind it

Old 08-22-2010, 11:21 PM

Default Refail!

Quote:
Moderator cut: Personal attack

Timothy McVeigh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

McVeigh attended mass regularly as a child and you will see in quote from Time Magazine that he believes in the "core beliefs of Christianity'
Ok so he said something that is different- every time someone says God D--n it! that's clearly anti -god but does that mean they aren't Christian any more.

The Big Picture is guess what! Muslims have denounced Bin Laden as many times as Christians have denounced Nichols and McVeigh.

"a god"?

Once again, a very odd thing for a "Christian" to say.

Still haven't heard Jesus' name mentioned.

You seem a little confused about what a Christian is. Maybe this will shed some light...

John 1 - Passage*Lookup - New King James Version - BibleGateway.com

Old 08-22-2010, 11:36 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
I'm going to start calling this the "Liberal McVeigh Law": every time there's a terrorist act performed in the name of Islam, an apologist will mention Timothy McVeigh.

example:

"Major Nidal Malik Hasan worshipped at a mosque led by a radical imam said to be a "spiritual adviser" to three of the hijackers who attacked America on Sept 11, 2001. He murdered 13 fellow US soldiers in Fort Hood, Texas, in the name of Islam."

"So what? Timothy McVeigh was worse!"

Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Well America has plenty of other bombers and serial killers. Anyone can say they are acting in the name of their religion - christians have bombed and killed many in that cause- whether it was witchhunts or crusades or religious serial killers.

The point is people can say they are killing commies for christ or infidels for allah or whatever - that doesn't mean the rank and file of the religion is behind it

You make a good point that not all, or even most, of the members of a group necessarily agree with all actions taken by individuals who claim membership. Of course, any liberal would automatically exclude Tea Party participants from this general principle, but the point is well taken none the less. The problem you have with applying this principle to Islam is that the Koran itself calls for the killing and subjugation of all non-Muslims. The Gospel of Christ requires believers to forgive all others for whatever they may have done and invites non-Christians to only willingly convert. Hardly the case with Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies