Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:35 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
But he didn't say that did he!
Not in those words, no, but he did say "Jesus was a poor black man", and was killed by "rich white PEOPLE!" (emphasis Wright).

Did you watch the video? I'm guessing - no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I never said that you didn't. I said that the majority of the quotes I see on this forum are from the sound bites that were played by the news. That would suggest that the majority of the people posting didn't watch the whole sermons but are just repeating what they heard on the sound clips. Or I guess it's possible that everyone has watched whole sermons and just like those particular quotes the most. Kinda like when my 10th grade English class read Macbeth and everybody wrote their papers on the topics covered by cliff notes...it wasn't because we didn't read the whole book..it was just that we all liked those parts the best.
It should be expected that the most repugnant quotes from Wright are more frequently repeated.

I think you are correct, that most people have not listened to an entire sermon by Wright, but if they did they would most likely be more upset then simply viewing a short 30 second YouTube clip.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What Obama said or did not say is irrelevant to the OP's question.
Then you don't get it either. It's preciously because of 0bama, that what Wright says matters. This man was the president's mentor, spiritual advisor, friend and inspiration for twenty years.
Quote:
I read it, I disagreed with it, so I'm asking you to defend it. If given the chance I would ask Obama the same question.
Why should i bother? From reading many of your posts over the year, I see a lot that both you and Wright would agree on. When Wright blames the entire white race for killing Jesus, for creating AIDS, or crack cocaine to kill the black man, or damns the entire country for what people did fifty or two hundred years ago in the past, why would I think you would disagree at all?

Quote:
Quite a bit actually.
I was being facetious, 0bama is like most politicians, they talk a lot, without really saying much of anything specific.

Last edited by Wapasha; 08-23-2010 at 08:25 AM..

Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
since when does telling the truth constitute the promotion of class and race divisions in this country, did he invent these divisions; if not who did??

You can't mend strained relations until you first admit that they exist and for many conservatives this is unthinkable, America can never be accused of anything less than perfect behaviors.

Some people choose and many have no choice except to live the reality that America is, the good, bad, and ugly.

Because some people have never experienced the ills of the nation they would like to believe those ills don't exist.
And certain groups of people would have nothing to live for and have no "cause" if those divisions were to go away. Face it, those groups NEED those divisions to certify their victim mindset so they can continue their witch hunt of whitey. It's all they have and will ever have.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:30 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
someone surely mentioned this already, but-

his insipid, hysterical claim that the US govt. 'invented' AIDS to kill off 'people of culla'

Old 08-23-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I almost forgot the Obamas just happened to be absent on every single occasion that Wright railed against the white race. They never heard any rumors within the church that Wright was a racist or the church had a racist congregation and no one in the Obama family happened to pick up a Rev Wright CD from the church book store or download a sermon that would have tipped them off that he was a racist. Twenty years...never came up.
In order to claim ignorance of what Rev. Wright has said, 0bama would have us believe he is an incurious boob, a bumbling dolt of a man, completely incapable of judging the character of others, even after twenty years of an intimate, personal and spiritual relationship. 0bama's bobble-headed followers nod in agreement with this assessment of him, on the one hand, and on the other they will claim he is brilliant, insightful and a fine judge of character. so which is it, it cannot be both?

0bama expects us to believe that he was counting ceiling tiles while Wright gave his racist, hate filled sermons.

Quote:
Obama on March 14 - "The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation.

Most of the time when I'm in church, he's talking about Jesus, God, faith, values, caring for the poor, family. Those were the messages that I was hearing."
Quote:
Obama March 18 – ” Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely.”
What he meant to say, was "most of the time I was counting ceiling tiles".

Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
And certain groups of people would have nothing to live for and have no "cause" if those divisions were to go away. Face it, those groups NEED those divisions to certify their victim mindset so they can continue their witch hunt of whitey. It's all they have and will ever have.
They have to keep it going, so that a newborn white skinned baby, for the rest of his/her life, will have to pay for the real or imagined sins or bad behavior of people who are long dead.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:47 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
You feel that defending Rev Jeremiah right is correct? That is worrisome in itself.
How so?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You've got to be kidding? I guess Hitler and Stalin were fine. Here is your list. It is shocking that a human being who has an education beyond the first grade does not find his comments disturbing. But then, I guess, this is just the brainwashed state of the liberal.

We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye.”

“We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America’s chickens are coming home to roost.” (Sep 2001)

“The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing ‘God Bless America.’ No, no, no, God damn America, that’s in the Bible for killing innocent people. God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme.” (2003)

“In the 21st century, white America got a wake-up call after 9/11/01. White America and the western world came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just ‘disappeared’ as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns.” (magazine article)

“Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run!…We [in the U.S.] believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God.” (sermon)

“Barack knows what it means living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary would never know that. Hillary ain’t never been called a ******. Hillary has never had a people defined as a non-person.”
“Hillary is married to Bill, and Bill has been good to us. No he ain’t! Bill did us, just like he did Monica Lewinsky. He was riding dirty.” (sermon)

“The Israelis have illegally occupied Palestinian territories for over 40 years now. Divestment has now hit the table again as a strategy to wake the business community and wake up Americans concerning the injustice and the racism under which the Palestinians have lived because of Zionism.”
What does, Stalin or Hitler have to do with the sins, from a very real Christian perspective, with crimes committed by Stalin and Hitler. Perhaps if the sermons context was to preach about the inhumanity of man against man such an omission might be relevant.

So as an "educated" person, which item was false?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Then you don't get it either. It's preciously because of 0bama, that what Wright says matters. This man was the president's mentor, spiritual advisor, friend and inspiration for twenty years.
The thread isn't about Obama, it is about Wright. Please stay on topic.

Quote:
Why should i bother?
See above.

Quote:
From reading many of your posts over the year, I see a lot that both you and Wright would agree on.
I certainly do agree with the spirit of Wright's remarks although I would do so with a bit more specificity and nuance. But you are essentially correct.

Quote:
When Wright blames the entire white race for killing Jesus, for creating AIDS, or crack cocaine to kill the black man, or damns the entire country for what people did fifty or two hundred years ago in the past, why would I think you would disagree at all?
Wright blames the entire white race?

To repost:

"We took this country by terror, away from the Sioux, the Apache, the Arowak, the Comanche, the Arapahoe, the Navajo. Terrorism." [True or False?]

"We took Africans from their country to build our way of ease and kept them enslaved and living in fear. Terrorism." [True or False?]

"We bombed Granada and killed innocent civilians, babies, non-military personnel." [True or False?]

"We bombed the black civilian community of Panama with stealth bombers and killed unarmed teenagers and toddlers, pregnant mothers, and hardworking fathers." [True or False?]

"We bombed Qaddafi's home and killed his child." [True or False?]

"We bombed Iraq. We killed unarmed civilians trying to make a living. We bombed a plant in Sudan to payback for the attack on our embassy, killed hundreds of hardworking people, mothers and fathers who left home to go that day not knowing that they would never get back home." [True or False?]

"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon and we never batted an eye." [True or False?]

"We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and Black South Africans and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost."

NOW FOR THE FAMOUS LINES

"....the United States of America government, when it came to treating her citizens of Indian descent fairly, she failed. She put them on reservations. When it came to treating her citizens of Japanese decent fairly, she failed. She put them in internment prison camps. When it came to treating her citizens of African descent fairly, America failed. The government put them in chains. She put them on slave quarters, put them on auction blocks, put them in cotton fields, put them in inferior schools, put them in sub-standard housing, put them in scientific experiments, put them in the lowest paying jobs, put them outside the equal protection of the law, kept them out of their racist bastions of higher education, and locked them into positions of hopelessness and helplessness. The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three strike law, and then wants us to sing God Bless America…no, no, no

Not God bless America, God damn America. That's in the Bible, for killing innocent people. God damn America for treating her citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme."

Where is the condemnation of whites much less the "entire white race" or is it your position that African Americans aren't a part of America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies