Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Stick morality where the sun don't shine when you talk about those days and why those bombs were dropped.
Unless you are the age of Methuselah your comments regarding WWII or that era are about as valid as someone born the day before yesterday.

Now these folks were there!

"...in [July] 1945... Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany, informed me that our government was preparing to drop an atomic bomb on Japan. I was one of those who felt that there were a number of cogent reasons to question the wisdom of such an act. ...the Secretary, upon giving me the news of the successful bomb test in New Mexico, and of the plan for using it, asked for my reaction, apparently expecting a vigorous assent.

"During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of 'face'. The Secretary was deeply perturbed by my attitude..."

- Dwight Eisenhower, Mandate For Change, pg. 380

(Chief of Staff to Presidents Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman)
"It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.

"The lethal possibilities of atomic warfare in the future are frightening. My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."

- William Leahy, I Was There, pg. 441.

MacArthur biographer William Manchester has described MacArthur's reaction to the issuance by the Allies of the Potsdam Proclamation to Japan: "...the Potsdam declaration in July, demand[ed] that Japan surrender unconditionally or face 'prompt and utter destruction.' MacArthur was appalled. He knew that the Japanese would never renounce their emperor, and that without him an orderly transition to peace would be impossible anyhow, because his people would never submit to Allied occupation unless he ordered it. Ironically, when the surrender did come, it was conditional, and the condition was a continuation of the imperial reign. Had the General's advice been followed, the resort to atomic weapons at Hiroshima and Nagasaki might have been unnecessary."

William Manchester, American Caesar: Douglas MacArthur 1880-1964, pg. 512.

(Vice Chairman, U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey)
In 1950 Nitze would recommend a massive military buildup, and in the 1980s he was an arms control negotiator in the Reagan administration. In July of 1945 he was assigned the task of writing a strategy for the air attack on Japan. Nitze later wrote:

"The plan I devised was essentially this: Japan was already isolated from the standpoint of ocean shipping. The only remaining means of transportation were the rail network and intercoastal shipping, though our submarines and mines were rapidly eliminating the latter as well. A concentrated air attack on the essential lines of transportation, including railroads and (through the use of the earliest accurately targetable glide bombs, then emerging from development) the Kammon tunnels which connected Honshu with Kyushu, would isolate the Japanese home islands from one another and fragment the enemy's base of operations. I believed that interdiction of the lines of transportation would be sufficiently effective so that additional bombing of urban industrial areas would not be necessary.

"While I was working on the new plan of air attack... [i] concluded that even without the atomic bomb, Japan was likely to surrender in a matter of months. My own view was that Japan would capitulate by November 1945."

Paul Nitze, From Hiroshima to Glasnost, pg. 36-37 (my emphasis)

The U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey group, assigned by President Truman to study the air attacks on Japan, produced a report in July of 1946 that was primarily written by Nitze and reflected his reasoning:

"Based on a detailed investigation of all the facts and supported by the testimony of the surviving Japanese leaders involved, it is the Survey's opinion that certainly prior to 31 December 1945 and in all probability prior to 1 November 1945, Japan would have surrendered even if the atomic bombs had not been dropped, even if Russia had not entered the war, and even if no invasion had been planned or contemplated."

quoted in Barton Bernstein, The Atomic Bomb, pg. 52-56.

In his memoir, written in 1989, Nitze repeated,

"Even without the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it seemed highly unlikely, given what we found to have been the mood of the Japanese government, that a U.S. invasion of the islands [scheduled for November 1, 1945] would have been necessary."

Paul Nitze, From Hiroshima to Glasnost, pg. 44-45
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:20 PM

24,513 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Leaving aside FDR's intentional provocations and accepting for the sake of argument that war guilt was solely Japan's, it remains the case Japan was looking for a negotiated end to the war before the atomic bombs were used--making those killings even more senseless than those which had preceded them.

And even at that--using them in an unpopulated or sparsely populated area--or, for instance, off the coast of Tokyo--would've made the point as well as burning two cities off the map.

There is no justifying the atomic bombings on any level whatsoever.
I'll ask again... who started that war in the first place? What country attacked Pearl Harbor?

I'm quite sure my father thought the atomic bombings were justified... he was to be one of the many U.S. troops which were planned to invade Japan in Nov., 1945 had the A-bomb not ended the war.

Since conventional bombings killed more people in Tokyo than the A-bombs did, was the use of conventional bombings "unjustified?"

Last edited by Fleet; 08-24-2010 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-24-2010, 02:38 PM

24,513 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
It was the most shameful event in US history.
Not to the hundreds of thousands of Americans who would have been killed in an invasion of Japan.

Interesting how some people put "shame" on the wrong country! The U.S. not only ended Japan's hostilities against us, but liberated many countries in the Pacific theater.

ALL the shame goes to Japan for starting such a horrific war.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:49 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
It appears that FOX may have blood on it's hands. Puffing up hysteria while funding the Mosque to deliberately divide America seems like they may have a more sinister objective

Old 08-25-2010, 04:09 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,661 times
Quote:
False. They never offered unconditional surrender. But they did offer a negotiated end to the war, which anyone with common decency would've tried to effect before ordering what actually occurred.
Then why was there no response after the first bomb was dropped. The Japanese wanted conditions favoring them, this was unacceptable after the atrocities they imposed on every country they invaded.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:46 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,543 times
I wonder how much the modern Japanese citizen is wringing his/her hands over the 3,000,000 Chinese soldiers who were killed and the 7,000,000 innocent Chinese civilians who were raped, tortured and slaughtered before and during the war.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Then why was there no response after the first bomb was dropped. The Japanese wanted conditions favoring them, this was unacceptable
Unacceptable--to fanatics? To the Kuomintang lobby? To whom?

I doubt it would've been unacceptable to the American public if Truman had announced peace terms--almost any peace terms--on August 1, 1945.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 AM

720 posts, read 691,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
ALL the shame goes to Japan for starting such a horrific war.
That was easy!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:42 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,661 times
Quote:
Unacceptable--to fanatics? To the Kuomintang lobby? To whom?

I doubt it would've been unacceptable to the American public if Truman had announced peace terms--almost any peace terms--on August 1, 1945.
Loosers don't get to negotiate. they started the damned war and got there ass beat, then they want to negotiate? I think not after Pearl Harbor.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you see and hear the sounds of Pearl Harbor? Did you have an uncle dead because of that war in less than 3 months after Pearl Harbor?
Have you ever heard of the McCallum memo? BTW both my grandfathers were in the military at the time, one fought in the Pacific, one was a merchant marine. I don't take any pleasure in the thought, however.

Quote:
Somehow I think your knowledge of that period may be dependent on a lot of progressive revisionism.
Progressive? My, you really can't shoot straight, can you? In 1941 progressives were clamoring for war (not all, but most) and conservatives were demanding neutrality (god bless them for it). There is nothing wrong with "revisionism"--the task of revisionist historians is a noble one: de-bamboozling the credulous public--and I was first converted to the "revisionist" school by the arguments of that notorious "progressive" Patrick Buchanan--as well as an appreciation for the wisdom of Jefferson and J.Q. Adams, who staunchly defended neutrality.

What color is the sky in your little world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies