Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 02:37 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
To include nations like... oh, Iran, North Korea, Cuba.

It is absolutely the most idiotic of the Birther theories. At least they were onto something when they claimed that Obama was born in Kenya. That circumstance would at least have had some basis in both law and logic.

The "dual citizenship" theory? Not so much.

Since it is clear that InformedConsent is never going to get around to answering the question, it is time to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

The answer to the question IC was afraid to answer:

A person born in Los Angeles to two citizen parents meets perfectly the most rigorous Birther definition of natural born citizen they have ever offered. And of course InformedConsent knows this.

I threw in that the parents were also born on US soil to show that the individual under consideration meets an even stricter definition than the Birther one. There can be no question by even the most strict Birther definition that the person in question is a natural born citizen.

It's not hypothetical, because the person is real. In fact the person is me. I was born in Los Angeles at what was then called Sun Valley Hospital (Now "Pacifica Hospital of Sun Valley") to two parents, both of whom were US citizens from birth, both born in Erie, Pennsylvania. Both of whom were also (by the way) issued US Passports based on COLBs with even less information than Obama's. But that last point is neither here nor there.

The reason IC was terrified to answer it:

Now... here's the rub. I am a natural born citizen of the United States and fully eligible to run for the Presidency.

I am also a dual citizen. I was dual citizen at birth based on an Italian law of which I was entirely unaware until I was 46 years old. I did not choose to be a dual citizen. I didn't even know I was one for most of my life. But under Italian law, I am an Italian citizen at birth via both my paternal and maternal lines.

QED: I am both a natural born citizen, and a dual citizen at the same time.

The implications for IC's phony theory:

This is also true of tens of millions of Americans, most of who do not even know that the nations of their ancestors have placed a legal claim on their citizenship purely by the automatic action of law. This could even be true of InformedConsent. In fact, if he has even a drop of Polish blood I can guarantee it, even if his only Polish ancestor got here 200 years ago.

Now we all know there is no Constitution prohibition from a dual citizen becoming President simply because it's not there. IC cannot show one. It does not exist.

But more compellingly, there cannot be any Constitutional prohibition from a dual citizen being President. And the reason is as fundamental as the Constitution itself.

We are a sovereign nation, and no other country can tell us who is or is not a natural born citizen of the United States. Only we get to do that. The British Nationality Act cannot. Indonesian law cannot. Italian and Polish law cannot.

US Law determines who is a natural born citizen of the US... and no other.

How Birthism is unpatriotic:

Birthers would have us all believe that US law is inferior to that of every tin pot dictatorship and banana republic on the planet. Birthers believes that Kim Jong Il has more right to determine who is eligible for the Presidency than the American voter does. Birthers believe that the law of the United States of America is trumped by the laws of Lichtenstein, Nicaragua and Burkina Faso

InformedConsent (as just one representative of the Birther movement) believes things that are so stupid, so completely incapacitating to reason and logic, that they render him incapable of answering a simple yes or no question. For the last two days, I have been asking a question... and the response I got from IC is indistinguishable from that I would have gotten from asking an eggplant.

Sic semper birthers.

You cannot hold dual citizenship and be eligible for POTUS.

Quote:
The following is the text of the Oath of Allegiance:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;
that I will support and defend the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;
that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law;
that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law;
that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and
that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 03:06 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,458,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
any claim to british citizenship expired when he was 21. obama only has US citizenship.

altho again this leaves the door open to any of our enemies to make a president-elect a citizen of that country and therefor, under this theory, ineligible for office.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:14 PM

46,972 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
And we have another Birfer stepping up to give foreign countries the right to decide who is eligible for US presidency!

Incidentally, the Oath of Allegiance is A: Taken by naturalized citizens, not those who are citizens by birth, and B: doesn't legally negate foreign citizenship unless said foreign country damn well feels like letting the specific citizen go. In other words, irrelevant.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:25 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
you cannot be eligible for POTUS with dual citizenship. You can ONLY hold American citizenship.
Of course you can.

Franklin Roosevelt, William Taft, Harry Truman and John Tyler were all dual nationals with France. So by the way were Washington (born French) and Jefferson (naturalized French) but of course they were grandfathered.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Wrong again, Ranger.

And it's ironic that when the issue is natural born citizenship you would cite the most irrelevant oath possible, the oath of naturalization.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:55 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,443,092 times
And with that, the Birfers have been pwned!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Wrong again, Ranger.

And it's ironic that when the issue is natural born citizenship you would cite the most irrelevant oath possible, the oath of naturalization.
oof..... why did i just assume it was the presidential oath of office without fully reading ?.... lesson learned, my bad for assumption.

ironically my parents had to take that oath just before their deaths to become dual citizens with the US. neither me or my brother ( who have zig-zagged between singular and dual US citizenship ) have ever had to take this oath. we were both born in the US.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
were you trying to intentionally mislead , just got some wrong info or truely thought what you were posting was a correct reply to the topic ?

Old 09-03-2010, 05:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
any claim to british citizenship expired when he was 21. obama only has US citizenship.

altho again this leaves the door open to any of our enemies to make a president-elect a citizen of that country and therefor, under this theory, ineligible for office.
Actually, Obama's British citizenship expired in 1963, when Kenya became independent. His father then became Kenyan citizen.

FactCheck.org: Does Barack Obama have Kenyan citizenship? (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/does_barack_obama_have_kenyan_citizenship.html - broken link)

Perhaps this is where the "born in Kenya" nonsense came from.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, Obama's British citizenship expired in 1963, when Kenya became independent. His father then became Kenyan citizen.

FactCheck.org: Does Barack Obama have Kenyan citizenship? (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/does_barack_obama_have_kenyan_citizenship.html - broken link)

Perhaps this is where the "born in Kenya" nonsense came from.
Unfortunately not. I think the "born in Kenya" nonsense includes his mom being in Kenya, not being allowed on a plane back to the States because of her advanced pregnancy, birth, then a quick trip home so she could pretend she was never in Kenya in the first place.

At least that's the story I've heard more than once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies