Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:17 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I don't believe in god, to me Beck's message means, rely on your inner strength and not your government.
Was that god's message from "God's Groovy Geese" flyover ???

LOL! Beck said they, birds flying() were a sign from god....I don't think he explained what the sign was....

Old 08-31-2010, 11:22 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

LOL! Beck said they, birds flying() were a sign from god....I don't think he explained what the sign was....
I get the analogy...

Geese as in "The Goose that Laid the Golden Egg" as in "Goldline"
and "lays an egg" as in Beck.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
That's kind of a new argument, actually. Honestly...it's actually quite laughable. We've got over 5k NT manuscripts, and 4 Gospels written documenting his life. Not to mention the fact that the religion spread incredibly rapidly during the 1st century, and men willingly died a martyr's death, being crucified and fed to lions for this man who you doubt existed.

Sorry....but if you honestly believe that, you just simply have not done your homework.
Written by people who didn't know him 100 years after he died?
Please provide some proof that this person existed, aside from the bible.
Or can't you?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

A little off topic, but speaking of flying I had some Mormons come-a-knockin at my door a few months ago and told me that science couldn't figure out how bees fly because their body weight is too high.

Considering I have a degree in Aerospace Engineering I explained to him how bees were able to fly and stay aloft and shut them up really quick

Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
One thing is for certain. Our society is not working now in the direction it has been for over 50 years. Children having children, single mothers relying on the government for their sustinance and that of their children from multiple fathers, the highest incarciration rates in the West, historically high drop out rates for minority high school students, more than 50% of citizens paying no income tax, the highest population percentage on public assistance programs, divorce rates over 50%, the acceptance of abortion as a means of convenient birth control rather than abstinence or contraception use, a government that selectively refuses to enforce our laws for its own political (a.k.a. power) gain, the sexualization of young children, homosexual marriage mainstreamed and normalized, etc... .

Nope, we are definitely on the wrong path. So, what would a return to God harm in our daily lives? I'm not speaking of institutionalized state religion, just a return to those judeo-Christian values that emulate character, honor and personal responsibility. What is the harm and why is the mere suggestion a threat to some people?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:28 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Wow, all these blind fundamentalist wingnut comments just reminds me of a take on Futurama...

Preacher: Reveal to us the will of God, so that we may blindly obey!
Congregation: Free us from all free will and responsibility!
Preacher: We shall read things off you!
Congregation: Then do them!
Preacher: Your words guide us!
Congregation: We're dumb!

I especially love the comments about Atheists not having a religious backing for morality, therefore they are bad. Which is like saying that a some one who chooses to be good is somehow worse then some one who is constantly scared into behaving well because of punishment by an authority figure.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:28 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elezah1288 View Post
AMERICA TURN BACK TO GOD?
How dare you, you big fat tub of stupid.

That was Glenn Beck’s message to all Americans to turn back to GOD? He offended all the Americans at his rally whose GOD is not the Christian GOD Jehovah. There must have been American Buddhist, Muslims, Hindus, etc whose GOD is not Jehovah. Americans whose GOD is Jehovah has not turned away from their GOD.
All this tell me one thing about Glenn Beck’s rally, he don’t know what the message really is and he is talking to and about white Christian America.
We the people were all white. All men created equal were all white.
Go to your Christian hell and take your message with you, Beck.
Such hate and venom.

I look at Sarah Palin, and the hate and vitriol that is heaped against her. Palin has no power over anyone, she cannot enact legislation, command the FBI tap your phone, or the IRS to investigate you, nor can she raise our taxes or increase the national debt, but people hate her for no other reason then because of her personal political views.

I heard Beck speak to this last week, before the rally. He was speaking to a group of people and he commented on how divisive and angry Americans were getting. He saw people in political power were trying to pit one racial group against another, one religion against another, one ethnic group against another, and liberals and conservatives against each other. He thought America was better then that.

He looked out at America, and he found a common bond between most people, that regardless of their skin color, ethnicity, politics or religion, they all believed in God. He thought that if we could come together as a people under God, that it would make some of our other differences inconsequential.

If you are not a religious person, then Beck was not speaking to you, and you will need to find some other common bond with your fellow Americans, or you can let the people who seek power to manipulate you into hating one group after another. They only want to create infighting and distrust between American citizens, so we will not find common bonds, and come together as fellow Americans in opposition to their attempts to manipulate us and control the country.

I'm not a religious person, but I am not blind as to what Beck is trying to do here. Beck is trying to bridge bitterness and divisiveness, and create an understanding and tolerance between fellow Americans.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
One thing is for certain. Our society is not working now in the direction it has been for over 50 years. Children having children, single mothers relying on the government for their sustinance and that of their children from multiple fathers, the highest incarciration rates in the West, historically high drop out rates for minority high school students, more than 50% of citizens paying no income tax, the highest population percentage on public assistance programs, divorce rates over 50%, the acceptance of abortion as a means of convenient birth control rather than abstinence or contraception use, a government that selectively refuses to enforce our laws for its own political (a.k.a. power) gain, the sexualization of young children, homosexual marriage mainstreamed and normalized, etc... .

Nope, we are definitely on the wrong path. So, what would a return to God harm in our daily lives? I'm not speaking of institutionalized state religion, just a return to those judeo-Christian values that emulate character, honor and personal responsibility. What is the harm and why is the mere suggestion a threat to some people?
Nothing you mentioned has anything to do with God. And you can't "return" to somewhere you have never been. If you mean be smarter and more responsible, I agree. God doesn't make that happen though. Stupidity can't be prayed away.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
A little off topic, but speaking of flying I had some Mormons come-a-knockin at my door a few months ago and told me that science couldn't figure out how bees fly because their body weight is too high.

Considering I have a degree in Aerospace Engineering I explained to him how bees were able to fly and stay aloft and shut them up really quick
LOL! Did they think it was magic ...??!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
It is but one path in which a nation can follow: God, country and family....every successful society's glue and the cohesive force to keep a nation together, through "shared ritual".

Another path is collectivism, humanism, marxism. Those who have just a modicum of historical knowledge know the outcome of these edicts every time. We as a foolish nation may, sadly, be headed down THIS destructive path. So I suspect that is what the TownCrier (Beck) is all about. Attempting to steer the stupid (US) from this death wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies