Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Liberalism was what made the county great. The founding fathers were liberal. If they were'nt, you'd be living under the rule of the Queen of England.
Ah... someone brings sanity to the debate. Nicely done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Come on man! The link you provided is a commentary from one man who constantly writes columns against global warming.
Do you deny the quotes contained in the commentary. You can't, they are well documented. They are quotes from "mainstream" environmentalist. The left has way more dogmatic and dangerous people than the right.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:17 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,307,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Do you deny the quotes contained in the commentary. You can't, they are well documented. They are quotes from "mainstream" environmentalist. The left has way more dogmatic and dangerous people than the right.
Liberalism is as much a religion as any other religion in the world today. They have their belief system which must not be questioned because it is "settled science". There is no ground for debate. Them smear anyone who does not adhere to it. They have their sacraments like abortion, progressive tax structure. They have their high priests (Al Gore, Federal Judges). Liberals rejects anything that does not agree with their belief system. That sounds like an extremists religion (or cult) to me.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:54 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Because you don't understand it, does not mean it is not "good science."

That is the problem with most religious beliefs and laws. Religious people replace that which they do not understand with superstitious beliefs. These superstitious beliefs then become the foundation for useless laws.
I actually understand it fairly well. I'm not impressed, though. There just isn't the fossil evidence to support it. It's just not good science.

Nevermind that it ignores the issue of creation. How did it all begin? Abiogenesis is woefully inadequate.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:35 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
How so? I won't be waiting for an answer as I know you will not have one.

My post included the comments to which I was responding. Please reread and resubmit.

Explain please. And try not to let your emotions govern your response.

Once again you failed to read the comments to which I was replying. The person I responded to spoke specifically about the US Constitution. Not the Geneva Convention (Which, btw would not apply here as these combatants and terrorists would not fall under the protection of those conventions), nor common decency.

Christianity is not a state sponsored religion in the USA. There is no religion in this nation that is sponsored by the government

Core horrors? Do you mean that there are levels of Sharia law that are acceptable and others that are not?
You wrote I wouldn't respond. Well, here's my response. Since you claim I didn't understand what you wrote, you underestimate me. I now have a better picture of your views, but I know that I will not get anything across to you because of the tone of your second sentence. Your last two paragraphs suggest we really are on different planets, so let's not waste our time.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:42 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
BS!
Personally, I am Catholic, most of the people I know are either Catholic or are of some other form of Christian persuasion. A very small percentage of them - if any at all - live their lives the way you seem to think they do.

If you are so wrong about this, what else are you wrong about?
Well that is a start. Which do you believe in, Science or the Bible? When one contradicts the other, which do you side with?

For example:
do you believe in talking snakes?
plants before the sun?
Noah's menagerie?
Jacob's genetic manipulation using striped branches?
Joshua stopping the sun?
Hebrews able to multiply from 70 to 3 million in 215 years,
requiring each woman to have about 66 children each?
Unicorns, Dragons, or fiery serpents?
Surviving in a whale for three days?
etc............................................... ..

Old 10-13-2010, 04:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
sounds like it's right up your alley-

Think about it: everybody is forced to think the exact same way and worship the same god. If you say anything blasphemous, or do anything that the "mob rule" disagrees with, you are judged without a trial and sentenced by physical mutilation and/or dismemberment in public to "send a message" or a "teach a lesson" to anyone who may be considering similar behavior. And in the very best of outcomes, STONING TO DEATH!. Oh, think of the fun!
Wait..that reads like the Dem's agenda.

HC..the government has determined our health care now, NOT US.
Education..the Fed government wants to determine the curriculum for ALL STATES.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:31 PM

590 posts, read 555,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
ok ok, let me reign this thread in. Unfortunately, my thinly veiled sarcasm is being misinterpreted as 'trolling'. I assure you, it's not. Ok- maybe you what republicans want isn't as extreme as sharia law, but it's surely a step in that direction. Think about it:

- You love the death penalty
- You support outlawing behavior that goes against your holy book (sodomy, gay marriage)
- You support violating constitutional rights without trial (PATRIOT act, Guantanamo, KSM trial)
- You support violating private property rights on the basis of religious belief (ground zero islamic cultural center)
- You support state-sponsored religion (prayer in schools, 10 commandments in courts, nativity scenes on municipal property)

anybody have any others?
You're way off base here, comparing sharia laws to Christianity and conservative values is like comparing apples and grapefruits.

We don't support gay marriage, but we also don't stone homosexuals just because of their sexual preferences.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post
You're way off base here, comparing sharia laws to Christianity and conservative values is like comparing apples and grapefruits.

We don't support gay marriage, but we also don't stone homosexuals just because of their sexual preferences.
Not in this country because we have secular laws that prevent that sort of thing. However, in other countries it is done.

Quote:
Last March, three American evangelical Christians, whose teachings about “curing” homosexuals have been widely discredited in the United States, arrived here in Uganda’s capital to give a series of talks.
Quote:
For three days, according to participants and audio recordings, thousands of Ugandans, including police officers, teachers and national politicians, listened raptly to the Americans, who were presented as experts on homosexuality. The visitors discussed how to make gay people straight, how gay men often sodomized teenage boys and how “the gay movement is an evil institution” whose goal is “to defeat the marriage-based society and replace it with a culture of sexual promiscuity.”
Quote:
One month after the conference, a previously unknown Ugandan politician, who boasts of having evangelical friends in the American government, introduced the Anti-Homosexuality Bill of 2009, which threatens to hang homosexuals, and, as a result, has put Uganda on a collision course with Western nations.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/wo.../04uganda.html

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/bra...anda-ignores-r

Old 10-13-2010, 05:03 PM

590 posts, read 555,281 times
Quote:
Not in this country because we have secular laws that prevent that sort of thing. However, in other countries it is done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/wo.../04uganda.html

ABC Links American Christians to Anti-Gay Death Penalty in Uganda, Ignores Rick Warren's Condemnation | NewsBusters.org
That's in Uganda, not in the United States. As an American Christian, it's not up to us to judge homosexuals, as well as adulterers and other sinners. In my opionion, those who do judge them are not doing any favors to Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies