Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times

Advertisements

Am I the only non-(politically) conservative Christian out there?

The title is a little hyperbolic, I mean, my close friends back home (in Michigan) are all left-leaning Christians. However, it seems like any sort of Christian organization leans FAR to the right, any organization, commentary or event targeting Christians has a right-wing slant, many churches promote the right-wing agenda and the vast majority of Christians I meet here (Minnesota) are far-right conservative Republicans. Additionally, it seems like most Democrats, moderates and / or liberals are atheists or agnostics.

I honestly feel like I'm the only one who feels this way. I read my Bible, and I don't see where it supports the Tea Party agenda. However, apparently most Christians think it does?! I just don't get why American Christianity seems to be married to the right-wing agenda? In my opinion, Republican economic policy, foreign policy and social agenda (other than abortion) stands in opposition to Biblical values. Are abortion and gay marriage really the ONLY issues American Christians care about?!

My views:
I am a Christian (non-denominational)
I believe Jesus is the only way to God
I believe the Bible is the word of God
I would describe myself as politically moderate
I am for a progressive tax system (tax the rich more)
I'm against "free trade" -- I support protectionist policies
I support single-payer, universal healthcare
I'm AGAINST the Iraq and Afghanistan wars (bring our troops home now!!!)
I oppose war in most cases -- I believe in diplomacy over military action
I'm against the death penalty
I'm against abortion in all cases
I'm personally against gay marriage, but I don't think the government should ban it
I support amnesty for undocumented immigrants and a guest worker program
I don't think Sarah Palin is the next George Washington
I don't listen to Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage or other such demagogues
I'm not a Tea Party member
I know Barack Obama is not a Muslim (or born in Kenya)

Am I really the only Christian who feels this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 09:36 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,467,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post

The title is a little hyperbolic, I mean, my close friends back home (in Michigan) are all left-leaning Christians. However, it seems like any sort of Christian organization leans FAR to the right, any organization, commentary or event targeting Christians has a right-wing slant, many churches promote the right-wing agenda and the vast majority of Christians I meet here (Minnesota) are far-right conservative Republicans. Additionally, it seems like most Democrats, moderates and / or liberals are atheists or agnostics.

I honestly feel like I'm the only one who feels this way. I read my Bible, and I don't see where it supports the Tea Party agenda. However, apparently most Christians think it does?! I just don't get why American Christianity seems to be married to the right-wing agenda? In my opinion, Republican economic policy, foreign policy and social agenda (other than abortion) stands in opposition to Biblical values. Are abortion and gay marriage really the ONLY issues American Christians care about?!

My views:
I am a Christian (non-denominational) Me too
I believe Jesus is the only way to God Me Too
I believe the Bible is the word of God Me Too
I would describe myself as politically moderate Myself - Moderate Conservative
I am for a progressive tax system (tax the rich more) Me too (Within reason, but definately more then we do now)
I'm against "free trade" -- I support protectionist policies (ehhh, I'm more "fair trade" - free trade with countries that reciprocate)
I support single-payer, universal healthcare Me Too
I'm AGAINST the Iraq and Afghanistan wars (bring our troops home now!!!) (Disagree - Particularly OEF)
I oppose war in most cases -- I believe in diplomacy over military action Me Too - I think most people prefer talking to fighting
I'm against the death penalty Disagree
I'm against abortion in all cases Disagree - Rape & Incest Exception
I'm personally against gay marriage, but I don't think the government should ban it Agree (I support Civil unions)
I support amnesty for undocumented immigrants and a guest worker program I support a pathway to citzenship & guest workers AFTER we secure the border
I don't think Sarah Palin is the next George Washington Agree - I think Sarah Palin isn't even the next George Jetson
I don't listen to Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage or other such demagogues Ditto - Although I kind of liked O Reilly when he was on. He was/is bombastic but usually will mix it up fairly
I'm not a Tea Party member Me neither
I know Barack Obama is not a Muslim (or born in Kenya) Me Too

I guess you're not that alone....

Old 11-06-2010, 09:44 PM

840 posts, read 2,087,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post

My views:
I am a Christian (non-denominational)
I believe Jesus is the only way to God
I believe the Bible is the word of God
I would describe myself as politically moderate
I am for a progressive tax system (tax the rich more)
I'm against "free trade" -- I support protectionist policies
I support single-payer, universal healthcare
I'm AGAINST the Iraq and Afghanistan wars (bring our troops home now!!!)
I oppose war in most cases -- I believe in diplomacy over military action
I'm against the death penalty
I'm against abortion in all cases
I'm personally against gay marriage, but I don't think the government should ban it
I support amnesty for undocumented immigrants and a guest worker program
I don't think Sarah Palin is the next George Washington
I don't listen to Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage or other such demagogues
I'm not a Tea Party member
I know Barack Obama is not a Muslim (or born in Kenya)

I feel I am a fairly liberal Christian

I am a Christian( Non-Demonational)

I believe that all paths where a person is good in mind, body, and soul can lead to God or a power greater that humanity

I believe the bible is a book written and interpruted by man and has many lies and untruths in it.

I feel Politically Moderate, (Leaning to the left, also African American)

I believe that the rich should be taxed more

Not 100% against free trade and wish there was more international governmental control but then it would not be free trade anymore

I actually like the Healthcare Cost Reform bill, ObamaCare

Against the war in Iraq for the ongoing war in Afghanistan

I am actually for war when it is the last possible option

Against the Death Penalty in all instances

For abortion for only 3 reasons, to protect the mother, cases of incest, and cases of rape, and then in these choices it is up to the mother not the state. All other reasons I against abortion

All for gay marriage, let them get married and stop complainig about what other people are doing

For all the immigrants here illegally now, we should document them and make them pay unsubsidized rates for services and make them legal tax paying Aliens, now for the borders and future immigrants there should be a work program that makes the path to becoming a citizen a little easier but also very strict

Sarah Palin-Blah
Fox News People- even more blah
Tea Party- the most blah that I have seen in my 3 short decades on this earth

And I will vote for President Obama again in the next election if he runs again, I believe the direction that he is trying to bring the country in is a good direction and I like about 85% of his policies.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:59 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times
I'm a Christian. The only differences I have with the left-wing is over abortion. I'm against abortion. Other than that, I would say I'm pretty far left-wing.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:04 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,665 times
Most Christens are right leaning however that is mostly narrow road christens. By that I mean that they believe the path of righteousness is very narrow
I would say because your from Michigan and not from the bible belt areas that your church leaders were softer on the political message. Allot of this is because the Michigan area is Union and that is more liberal. Of course there is other things that fit into the equation but it comes down to religious organizations are basically in sales. You need people in the seats and to do that you must be able to relate to the congregation.
I am also not trying to stereotype you as a person just explain a bit about politics and religion. I don't know how your preacher talks but I have heard many right religious speakers that I won't name (Pat Robertson) who use there position to push their political religions agenda. I have also heard more liberal preachers I won't mention (Jeremiah Wright) that do the same on the other side of the political isle. Where it goes really wrong is when that person not to name names (see above) instead of telling people to vote, tells people how to vote.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:04 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,059,627 times
Unfortunately the fundamentalist crank a-holes ruin things for all the good people. Mostly because they read all the parts to justify hating the people they don't like anyways, scream that anyone who disagrees with them hates *all of the group they lump themselves in*, and gloss over all the kind things in there.

The bad part is they are the most nasty and the most vocal, so they get the most attention.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:25 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,667 times
You are not the only Christian who feels that way, but unfortunately you are an anomaly amongst those Christians who are involved in politics.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:33 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times
I am a born & raised Catholic who believes...

Abortion is wrong unless a woman is proven raped & only offered while the fetus is not developed into a person

Against stem cell research totally

Marijuana is no more dangerous than alcohol & should therefore be de-criminalized & more research put into its many medical benefits especially in the form of pills & vaporizing methods.

Sex before marriage should be re-written for modern times & be up to each individual couple

Marriage is between a man & a woman

Anti-illegal immigration

Obama was a mistake

That is all...

Old 11-06-2010, 10:49 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I am a born & raised Catholic who believes...

Abortion is wrong unless a woman is proven raped & only offered while the fetus is not developed into a person

Against stem cell research totally

Marijuana is no more dangerous than alcohol & should therefore be de-criminalized & more research put into its many medical benefits especially in the form of pills & vaporizing methods.

Sex before marriage should be re-written for modern times & be up to each individual couple

Marriage is between a man & a woman

Anti-illegal immigration

Obama was a mistake

That is all...
LOL.. so.. you're a Republican. What's your point?

Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
LOL.. so.. you're a Republican. What's your point?
Yes, I am a moderate Republican that is more middle of the road than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies